• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Bizarre old trends.

• Thread starter AnHero
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2133 times.

AnHero

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
By this I don't mean 'stuff you couldn't get away with today,' or anything like that, but rather trends which are basically innocuous, but could never be resurrected today without irony because they just seem so bizarre or flash in the pan.

Let's get 80s aerobics out of the way quickly...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

Virtual Cafe Awards
I keep trying to compare this to other music genres but I don't know which ones really fit. Jazz, I guess?
i guess smooth jazz
tho new-age music is similar

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Virtual Cafe Awards
This opinion is surprising coming from someone on a vaporwave forum
I have many faces
And this isn't so disimilar to VW, when new age music/smooth jazz get used in News at 11 (Catcorp) and its own VW genre, weathercore!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Face ook red, hoax
Click who can see your FB
tag friends (close eyes) in this funny story template - FB

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pseudiom

HEARTLAND Neon
Reaction score
Awards
The San Fran hipster era should have been the last in human history, it can't possibly get worse than this

View attachment 77598
The secondary effect of this era was "Mustache Tattoo Girls". I don't have better term for them but they were post-Goth, semi-related to Scene girls, and a lot of them were early e-girls in a way. They were all over LiveJournal back in the day. They existed on a steady diet of early YouTube metrosexual comedy a la Shane Dawson and other vloggers. I'm not entirely sure if this subculture survives in any appreciable way or was devastated by later cultural trends. I think exposure to social media like Twitter and Tumblr may have devastated them like small pox.
I call them "Mustache Tattoo Girls" because I associate their sense of humor with those girls who got quirky mustache tattoos (Fingerstaches?) on their index fingers. They weren't precisely hipsters though but girls who thought memes like lolcats were absolutely hilarious.
Fingerstache.jpg

1697487239586.png

not trend, but, payphone cards
1697487346736.png

"translator poop" (GTP)

Virtual Cafe Awards
and the prize was???
errm, a funny picture?

The secondary effect of this era was "Mustache Tattoo Girls". I don't have better term for them but they were post-Goth, semi-related to Scene girls, and a lot of them were early e-girls in a way. They were all over LiveJournal back in the day. They existed on a steady diet of early YouTube metrosexual comedy a la Shane Dawson and other vloggers. I'm not entirely sure if this subculture survives in any appreciable way or was devastated by later cultural trends. I think exposure to social media like Twitter and Tumblr may have devastated them like small pox.
I call them "Mustache Tattoo Girls" because I associate their sense of humor with those girls who got quirky mustache tattoos (Fingerstaches?) on their index fingers. They weren't precisely hipsters though but girls who thought memes like lolcats were absolutely hilarious.
View attachment 77917
are you saying lolcats are not hilarious? be honest

I liked these a lot as a kid but looking back, man, they must make up about half of landfills in the world. What an insanely wasteful fad.

Deckade

aspiring bussin neo-hypefluencer
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I think the whole giant yo-yos with the sticks wouldn't happen today. It's not that material hobbies don't exist in popular culture, it's just I feel there's some inescapable performative desire to fit in and be cool with everything thing the new generation picks up, I don't think trends are 'just because it's fun' anymore

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not entirely sure if this subculture survives in any appreciable way or was devastated by later cultural trends. I think exposure to social media like Twitter and Tumblr may have devastated them like small pox.

My experience is that they grew up and had giant Christian families. And there was nothing special about it enough to keep going with later generations. Basically the "lol so random" generation.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I call them "Mustache Tattoo Girls" because I associate their sense of humor with those girls who got quirky mustache tattoos (Fingerstaches?) on their index fingers.
Every now and then I see somebody with one of those tattoos on their finger and its like a little glint of the past shines right into my cornea for a second. I wonder most of all if the tattoo is new or if it's old. It'd be hilarious if people were still getting them

Virtual Cafe Awards