Board Games

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1771 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
My family got this when we visited the Tower of London, this would have been mid-2000's. We still play it every so often, loads of fun.
iu-9.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Every so often I'm reminded that board games exist. Growing up, everyone I knew hated board games. I can think of maybe 2-3 board games I've played. I think I've played Monopoly probably 5 times in my life.

My question is: what's your favorite
board game?
I hate Monopoly. May the variants (Card and dice based)and 800 licenced versions(Only to keep the game relevant despite the messed up roots) can please me but the gameplay rules are fucking awful. I have 3-4(Zero,Revolution,Classic). I hope sometime to sell them on ebay and buy actual good games. I don't know why the piece of crap is selling like hot breads while there are better options like catan and expansions that add something and aren't a mindless reskin and don't fit in the style and the setting of the game. Many people hate board games why they played a crappy mass produced game. Glad board game shops exist. I visited one a couple of days before and keep the hobby alive

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

blondlot

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have this one game called Zombies where you play people trying to make it to a helicopter during a zombie outbreak. You take turns drawing cards that represent the streets and any special buildings on them, then place them to make the route to the plane. First one to the helicopter wins, so there is an element of strategy when placing the tiles as well, since you're also placing the resources and enemies on the tile. I remember the rules were pretty simple and the games went fast, that was part of the draw. I always thought I wanted to play the really complicated board games, but they made my brain hurt, but something like Zombies! was straightforward fun.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ewy1

Writer of binary prose
Reaction score
Awards
I have a slight addiction to asymmetrical boardgames, but not enough friends to play them with. Asymmetrical, to me, is a very broad classification: from something like Scythe, where factions have different abilities, to Root, where each faction plays completely differently! If anyone wants to play a game, feel free to send me a message.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lemonade

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
1644494353484.jpeg

Its such a fun game because its made to make people rage and get all emotional. Makes for good entertainment

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lemonade

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What do you do in it?
you roll the dice and move what ever number you get, after finishing one lap around the board you need to get every colored piece into the same colored fields. The thing that makes people rage is if you roll the dice and end up on your opponents spot, he gets kicked out and has to do the lap again. Oh, and you also have three tries to roll a six to get your piece out of the spawn. Sorry, i suck at explaining but i hope it made sense.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
Chess is an all-time favourite of mine. Be caruful, my knight game is wicked. ;)

I play the hippo as white and black. I used to play a lot of ranked online but it started to eat up too much time. In a couple months I was up to like 1700 rating I think. (That's not that good).

I've found most people don't like board games... they don't have the time. The only people that wanna play board games are my bros online so I enjoy playing games like this:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Its on sale right now for like 6 bucks.

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love the Royal Game of Ur. I bought a set when I was 16 because I watched a video about it online and I have been playing it pretty frequently for three years now with friends. Also chess; there is nothing more fun than playing and learning tactics in chess, even if you suck.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I found out there are people who are freaks for board games. Catan is apparently the biggest one. It's pretty fun I guess but I'm more of a card game kind of guy

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I was curious if people here like board games and it's interesting to see that not many replied to this thread originally.

My introduction to modern board games was pretty typical: was introduced to Catan in college, met some people who played other modern games, and explored new stuff from there. Currently my favorite game is Evolution, specifically with the Climate Change expansion. Got it over the winter completely on a whim while traveling, ended up playing it a ton on that trip with the two other people I was with. Basically you get blank slate species, level them up in terms of body size and population, and give them attributes (fat tissue, intelligence, carnivore, etc.) to make them unique and competitive against the other players' species. Each round you eat until all species are fully fed or the watering hole runs out of food. Winner is whoever has eaten the most at the end.

I'd love to play board games more often, but it's hard to find people. I live in a big city now, but haven't found a game store that offers game nights for people who are 1) adults, and 2) not smelly neck beards. My partner likes playing too, so if anyone has suggestions for games that are good for two, I'd love to hear them.

I always really liked Carcassonne.
Even when I'm losing, I get an unusual amount of joy out of seeing the little maps you make come together.
Every time you've created a different, new little world.
I've seen this game make a lot of "best of" type lists before, and it does seem like a fun concept. Is it good for two players?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I found out there are people who are freaks for board games. Catan is apparently the biggest one. It's pretty fun I guess but I'm more of a card game kind of guy
Catan is generally considered an "intro game" by a lot of board game nerds at this point. There are some ways that it's unbalanced, and if you play it enough you come to see that after a while. It's also generally the first "modern" game (i.e., not monopoly, scrabble, sorry, etc.) that people in North America play. The history behind why the modern board game scene is rooted in Germany is pretty interesting.

When you say you're more of a card game guy, do you mean traditional card games like poker, trading card games, or both?

Virtual Cafe Awards