Board Games

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1776 times.

brainlvst_b0xcutter

Mental Asylum Escapee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
brainlvss.space
My favorite board game is probably this bad boy. I loved playing it when I was younger, I guess I just can't keep myself away from putting squares on a grid- I love Tetris and Conway's Game of Life too.

1656475271005.png

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Catan is generally considered an "intro game" by a lot of board game nerds at this point. There are some ways that it's unbalanced, and if you play it enough you come to see that after a while. It's also generally the first "modern" game (i.e., not monopoly, scrabble, sorry, etc.) that people in North America play. The history behind why the modern board game scene is rooted in Germany is pretty interesting.

When you say you're more of a card game guy, do you mean traditional card games like poker, trading card games, or both?
Asmodee publishes amazing stuff. I would like to try pandemic

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Asmodee publishes amazing stuff. I would like to try pandemic
Thanks for that recommendation, never heard of the site before but it looks like they have some things I've been wanting that can be hard to find.

Pandemic is a fun game, a friend owns it and I've played a few times. I really like games like that where you're essentially trying to work together to beat the game instead of other players, they're really good for getting new people getting hooked on board games since you're not competing against each other.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Dolfin

Cetacean Sensation
Reaction score
Awards
My SO and I love board games, so much so that we currently have more games than shelves. We used to play Gloomhaven a ton, taking our characters through dungeons and trying not to exhaust before looting the treasure chests - there's some miss-able unique loot in that game. These days, it gets a soft recommendation from me, as I don't have the time or energy most evenings for all the setup and bookkeeping.

7 Wonders: Duel is probably one of the best that we have. It's strictly two-player and is relatively easy to pick up, and most games aren't decided until the final third (though we've had a couple resource lockouts that heavily weight the game toward one side). Hive is another easy-to-learn, hard-to-master strategic duel that feels more like Chess or Go.

Virtual Cafe Awards