Bungie is going to ruin Marathon

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
After Halo became a raging dumpster fire, they're desperate, and the noise they make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to the rest.
Halo only became a dumpster fire after they left and the game was handed over to a developer with no soul or experience. They haven't been involved in Halo since 2010.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
i stopped caring/playing multiplayer games after black ops 2 and advanced warfare. that was around when games started slowly moving towards the season pass model. coincidentally destiny 1 released close to my birthday so i ended up buying it with a gift card i got. was the most disappointing game i ever got. i've no doubt that bungie will try to extract as much money from micro transactions season pass bullshit as they possibly can. halo is becoming irrelevant with how much of a mess infinite was, i don't hear anyone talk about destiny 2. they probably thought it was time for a new cash cow and what better way to do it than to revive an ip

Virtual Cafe Awards

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
black ops 2 and advanced warfare.

Peak CoD for me too. I've played a variety of CoDs since then but nothing hits like those two. Some of it is nostalgia, sure, but that period right before all the crazy microtransactions was amazing.

Don't know shit about the old Marathon. The new one looks fine, if not generic.

Since we're talking about FPS - Helldivers 2 looks great.

• Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Halo only became a dumpster fire after they left and the game was handed over to a developer with no soul or experience. They haven't been involved in Halo since 2010.

And what did we get instead? A soulless looter shooter devoid of interesting gameplay.

Destiny is one of the few AAA shooters I have played that's worse than Halo 5. It would have been garbage with or without Bungie.

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
And what did we get instead? A soulless looter shooter devoid of interesting gameplay.

Destiny is one of the few AAA shooters I have played that's worse than Halo 5. It would have been garbage with or without Bungie.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't like Destiny. It's just weird to connect them to Halo these days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Destiny did have soul but it was a mess at launch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh hey, they posted a trailer for it, gotta say this is the last thing I expected it to look like, it managed to dodge both my good and bad outlooks for the title so I don't know much what to make of it.
I think I saw a S'pht and I caught a few references to "They are waiting" and "Traxus", but man, this looks nothing like Marathon. Why not make something that looks like the Craig Mullins paintings? You know that art that literally everyone loved?

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
I think I saw a S'pht and I caught a few references to "They are waiting" and "Traxus", but man, this looks nothing like Marathon. Why not make something that looks like the Craig Mullins paintings? You know that art that literally everyone loved?
It seems strange thing doesn't it?, I wonder if it was partially inspired by that odd, clean look that all the textures in the first game have.

Marathon-.jpg

Otherwise I would say it has a lot of influence from Destiny and Mirror's Edge.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It seems strange thing doesn't it?, I wonder if it was partially inspired by that odd, clean look that all the textures in the first game have.
What's really strange is that the game takes place in 2883 and apparently is about trying to investigate what happened to the colony?

Durandal already warned Earth (and gave them FTL technology) after Marathon 1 (2795), Robert Blake and the surviving BoBs stole a refueling ship and escaped back to Earth shortly after Marathon 2 (2811) and mankind teamed up with the compilers and sacked the Phfor homeworld in 2881.

Which... makes it even weirder. I'm guessing this will be explained away as some alternate timeline, but, it's just bizarre that this title, which is apparently about uncovering the plot of Marathon 1, breaks canon and also Aliens did it. It was literally never a secret.

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
What's really strange is that the game takes place in 2883 and apparently is about trying to investigate what happened to the colony?

Durandal already warned Earth (and gave them FTL technology) after Marathon 1 (2795), Robert Blake and the surviving BoBs stole a refueling ship and escaped back to Earth shortly after Marathon 2 (2811) and mankind teamed up with the compilers and sacked the Phfor homeworld in 2881.

Which... makes it even weirder. I'm guessing this will be explained away as some alternate timeline, but, it's just bizarre that this title, which is apparently about uncovering the plot of Marathon 1, breaks canon and also Aliens did it. It was literally never a secret.

My memory may be a little off, but doesn't it take about 50 years for any of that stuff to actually get to Earth? Given that Infinity takes place simultaneously with 2 you could actually have the plot not break cannon by having things take place in a reality where the W'rkncacnter fucked everything up before Marathon guy ascended and put a stop to that bullshit.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My memory may be a little off, but doesn't it take about 50 years for any of that stuff to actually get to Earth? Given that Infinity takes place simultaneously with 2 you could actually have the plot not break cannon by having things take place in a reality where the W'rkncacnter fucked everything up before Marathon guy ascended and put a stop to that bullshit.

It takes 300 years for the Marathon to reach Tau Ceti, and around 100 for the Equanimity. The problem is that humans apparently had FTL communications, since in the new Bungie lore, Earth knew that the Tau Ceti colony was out of commission as early as 2795 - the same year Marathon takes place. If not, they wouldn't have known anything was up until 2807 seeing as how Tau Ceti is 12 light years away from Sol.

Moreover its directly stated that Pfhor ships have FTL drives. Durandal was able to return to Sol and stay just long enough to provide mankind with the technology to create 'Warp Capable Fusion Missiles', and then leave to chart nearly seven thousand star systems in just seventeen years.

The only way this timeline makes sense to me is if its in a timeline where Durandal was unable to steal the boomer, and Tau Ceti was wiped out in the first assault, but somehow managed to prevent the aliens from learning Earth's location. Otherwise it should have been pretty simple to just recall the Equanimity, and send an FTL capable USEC ship to the planet to investigate, instead.

Last edited:

User182

Manifested Desire
Reaction score
Awards
Everything about nu-thon seems disingenuous and hollow. Boring, generic synthwave hype music; dull art style inspired by better ancestors like Ghost in the Shell/Neo-Tokyo, and no single player experience to be found. All wrapped up in microtransactions and a live-action model. Hopefully this doesn't take off and (fingers cross) the game is killed within a year lol