Calendar Systems

I've been digging around the history of the French Revolution lately, and came across the Decimal Calendar.
Originally used in ancient China, it was also advocated for, and more fully developed during the French Revolution as a means of fully implementing the decimal system.
The standard method of keeping track of time is usually characterized by what is known as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). As we're all aware, UTC is characterized by 24 hour cycles in the day. Each hour is divided into 60 minutes, and each minute is divided into 60 seconds. However, with the decimal time, time would be counted in a much different way.
The decimal system operates based on the number 10. So, each day would be divided by 10. Under UTC, midnight and noon are noted as 12:00. Meanwhile, under the decimal system, the day would be divided by 10. So midnight would be 0, noon would be .5, and so on.
This scales much differently through the months, and you can read more about it on the wiki pages i linked to.
So what are your thoughts on changing the calendar system? Should the decimal system be adopted as a means of keeping track of time?

Attachments

• Horloge-republicaine2.jpg
    Horloge-republicaine2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 6,331

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Recently I found the book Calendrical Calculations recommended somewhere so I downloaded it and found it all very interesting.
Some of them are cool but I don't think anyone will be switching soon. It's like the US and imperial measurements. I use metric everywhere and find it weird that you guys stick to it, but once it's ingrained at a cultural level it's like a bad habit that just won't go away.
Anyway the current calendar is good enough so it's more like an OK habit that you could change to a great one, but won't any time soon
cover-front.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've always been fascinated with the French Republican calendar. Though it's a hard sell to have a weekend every 10 days instead of every 7. I like the idea of having each day associated with some object or idea, and naming months by seasonal characteristics. For the same reason, I'm also interested in the Catholic calendar of saints it was meant to replace.

Days seem to slide by, one the same as the next. Any way to make them more unique or to tie them to nature is appealing to me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Knowing what day of the week/year it is is cringe, being an unemployed neet who doesn't care about calendars is based

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've always been fascinated with the French Republican calendar. Though it's a hard sell to have a weekend every 10 days instead of every 7. I like the idea of having each day associated with some object or idea, and naming months by seasonal characteristics. For the same reason, I'm also interested in the Catholic calendar of saints it was meant to replace.

Days seem to slide by, one the same as the next. Any way to make them more unique or to tie them to nature is appealing to me.
Hmm, now that you mention it, a revision to include the 4/20/69 working week might be in order,

Attachments

• z24rrx70jby61.jpg
    z24rrx70jby61.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 64
Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Hmm, now that you mention it, a revision to include the 4/20/69 working week might be in order,
I non ironically support this, if you are not supporting this, you deserve to be a wage slave the rest of your life owo :tou1:

Virtual Cafe Awards