Calling all vaporwave musicians: Looking for interviewees!

RainwaterCassettes

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave musicians, I want to hear from you! I'm a doctoral student in at Kent State University conducting a Communication study to better understand the identities and perceptions of vaporwave creators. I've found that most academic research about vaporwave focuses on either the fandom or the music itself, but I want to center this study on you, the creators.

Participation for this study involves answering questions through a private text-based chat service in a 10-20 minute online interview. You'll be asked about your perceptions of creating vaporwave music, identity, genre, and the fandom. All answers will be kept confidential.

Being a vaporwave creator and over 18 years of age qualifies you for inclusion in an interview. To show interest in participating, simply reply to this thread or send me a direct message and I'll follow-up with you. I'm flexible with interview times, so we can pick a time that works best for you.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1043

This sounds great, I'd like to learn more about your study and would be willing to give an interview for you.

Deleted member 1066

Aw man that sounds cool.
just a shame it's text based cause I can't type that much :(

RainwaterCassettes

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
ScaffoldedBuilding said:
Aw man that sounds cool.
just a shame it's text based cause I can't type that much :(

I'd totally be willing to do a phone call or other form of audio chat if that works better! I PM'd you with some more details.

Virtual Cafe Awards

キラヨシ

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I can be game for it. www.djproject.cc has everything.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeonDipwad

What's the dealio? ぐ炎ぷ
Reaction score
Willing also.

Oh! Oh! Pick me plz :) sounds like fun!

Virtual Cafe Awards

RainwaterCassettes

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
To everyone who's commented (I finally caught up PMing you all) and I just wanted to say a quick "thank you!" Your responses here are so appreciated.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZanraiKid

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this interview, if you're still taking submissions!

Greg_Delta

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm down

Virtual Cafe Awards

kiwishinshi

Kiwi 紳士
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave musicians, I want to hear from you! I'm a doctoral student in at Kent State University conducting a Communication study to better understand the identities and perceptions of vaporwave creators. I've found that most academic research about vaporwave focuses on either the fandom or the music itself, but I want to center this study on you, the creators.

Participation for this study involves answering questions through a private text-based chat service in a 10-20 minute online interview. You'll be asked about your perceptions of creating vaporwave music, identity, genre, and the fandom. All answers will be kept confidential.

Being a vaporwave creator and over 18 years of age qualifies you for inclusion in an interview. To show interest in participating, simply reply to this thread or send me a direct message and I'll follow-up with you. I'm flexible with interview times, so we can pick a time that works best for you.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you!
I'm not assuming you're still working on that study? If you've finished it, I would be interested to read it.

RainwaterCassettes

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all,

I want to provide a long-awaited update and extend a massive thank you to everyone who volunteered to chat with me about their experiences and perceptions as a vaporwave musician.

In the intervening time, I finished the piece with my co-author and got it through to publication at a good academic journal. It's behind a publisher paywall, but I have a set amount of free e-pubs I can share with this link: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/UF3XUIJ74QDWIUYXQKIN/full?target=10.1080/10510974.2023.2166553

I was concerned about writing about vaporwave from a detached observer position, so it means a lot to me to be able to piece together themes and explore communicative phenomena from the testimonies of folks who are embedded within this community. I take a lot of pleasure in actively taking vaporwave, and musician identity, further into academic conversations with this piece.

Thanks again for everyone who donated their time and effort in the form of interviews. And if you're just now reading this for the first time, thanks for taking an interest in my work on this strange and meaningful thing we call vaporwave.

Best,
-Connor

Virtual Cafe Awards