cheap DAWs to get started

Ive been really looking at music production and I'm really interested in getting into it and getting started. one problem though. I'm super broke with debts and bills and shit. any suggestions on some free DAWs just to start learning about mixing and drums and everything?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Audacity :D (seriously can do everything a vaporwave artist would need to, with some effort)
ive looked into it, but thats really just for audio editting. im looking at working with some digital instruments just to learn how its done.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lillith'sLullaby

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Ive been really looking at music production and I'm really interested in getting into it and getting started. one problem though. I'm super broke with debts and bills and shit. any suggestions on some free DAWs just to start learning about mixing and drums and everything?
im going to tell you a secret, you can get any DAW you want if you go to certain sites with magnet links

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
このソフトウェアは無料です。私は時々音楽でそれを使用しました、最初は学ぶのが難しいかもしれません、しかしそれはリスナーがコンピュータによって生成されたものとして即座に認識できる一般的な昔ながらの音を持っています。私はそれをお勧めします、それはあなたの歌に余分なキックを与えることができます

https://www.midieditor.org/

Virtual Cafe Awards

miamipalms

nerd
Reaction score
Awards
I used a mobile daw called caustic (https://singlecellsoftware.com/). It will never be as good as FL or Ableton but I sure had some fun playing around with the instruments. The pc versh is free if you wanna try it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

thedigitalhaunt

nant rhas las
Reaction score
Awards
Website
infinitesyncstudios.bandcamp.com
This ones good https://store.steampowered.com/sub/126169

Virtual Cafe Awards

zweiton

hermit
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zweitonmusic.bandcamp.com
I recommend Reaper. It's incredibly versatile and free for (well, ever), but it'll start asking you to pay after a month or so of use, like WinRar. If you make money out of your music, I suggest you pay for the program, it's only fair.

https://www.reaper.fm/
Agreed! Reaper is great for starters. I believe it supports plugins as well? I tried it for a while before I got FL and it was quite alright. It could be a bit confusing for someone who has never seen a DAW before though, so try some YouTube tutorials :D

Virtual Cafe Awards

MiuSchardo

https://twitter.com/MiuSchardo
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Agreed! Reaper is great for starters. I believe it supports plugins as well? I tried it for a while before I got FL and it was quite alright. It could be a bit confusing for someone who has never seen a DAW before though, so try some YouTube tutorials :D
Definitely try YouTube tutorials. I'm no music expert, but I'm sure Reaper has all the functions of any other DAW out there. It has supported every I downloaded plugin so far too.

netdenizenlain

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
netdenizenlain.neocities.org
Open MPT is a free software that I used when I was getting started. After a year or two of using that, I found a crack of ableton online and started using that. It's not really a straight forward program, but it is a music program nonetheless.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I agree that Reaper is your best option but if you're unfamiliar with DAWs in general it can have a somewhat steep learning curve. LMMS or FL Studio are both great since you're just getting started. Both have baked in VSTs/synths that can help you dive right in and get going.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I agree that Reaper is your best option but if you're unfamiliar with DAWs in general it can have a somewhat steep learning curve. LMMS or FL Studio are both great since you're just getting started. Both have baked in VSTs/synths that can help you dive right in and get going.
Since I made this post a user helped me out and gave me the registration for his old FL studio account. I watched a few videos, but i still have no idea how to use it lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

Seggito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
seggitosite.neocities.org
Try LMMS, its basically if FL studio was free and a bit more complicated. It comes with a cool synthesizer Zsubaddeffects which is pretty powerful if you know what you're doing. It doesn't directly support VST3s at the moment, you could use them by using other plugins that allow you to load them. The graphic EQ is one of the best I've used and I wish I could find a way to use it on FL studio seriously.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Since I made this post a user helped me out and gave me the registration for his old FL studio account. I watched a few videos, but i still have no idea how to use it lol
It can definitely be a challenge getting started but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time. Keep watching tutorials on the type of music you're interested in on YouTube and fiddling around and you'll have it down in a week or so. I'm sure a lot of people here use FL too so we should be able to help with any specific problems.

Virtual Cafe Awards