Classic Game Room (the first online video game review show from 1999)

I'm curious if anyone else here used to watch Classic Game Room? For those who never heard of it, Classic Game Room was an online video, video game review show that started in 1999 and ended in 2000. In a sense you literally couldn't get more Y2k than that. The show was too ahead of its time however, since when it started internet connections weren't fast enough to handle online video well. So the series ended after around a year. But in around 2007/2008 the episodes got reuploaded to YouTube, and one of the cohosts rebooted the series under the title Classic Game Room HD. The new series was quite good as well, and even though Mark was doing a solo job, he managed to come across as really charismatic in his video reviews. His stuff was also refreshingly chill and laid back in an era where most video game reviews on YouTube were copying AVGN's shtick of yelling and screaming.

But I think the best stuff is from the original era of Classic Game Room from 1999-2000, because of the chemistry between the two hosts. One of their most popular videos (and my personal favorite) is their review of Seaman on the Sega Dreamcast, which was originally recorded on October, 2000:

View: https://youtu.be/_ZVZGwdA7-Q

Their parody "behind the scenes" documentary I also think is an underrated gem of pre-YouTube online video:
The Real Classic Game Room - Part 1
The Real Classic Game Room - Part 2

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Bro I'd recognize that red eyed squirrel anywhere, used to watch these guys loads back in the day though I forgot most of the videos lol

Virtual Cafe Awards
Bro I'd recognize that red eyed squirrel anywhere, used to watch these guys loads back in the day though I forgot most of the videos lol
Glad to know I'm not the only one! If you're ever feeling in a nostalgic mood and lets face it if you're on this forum you probably do frequently, it's worth looking through their old videos. Although dated, I think they mostly holds up pretty well. This video literally convinced me to download M.A.M.E and try Robotron 2084 a couple years ago:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfX1HV4UlE&t=145s

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Glad to know I'm not the only one! If you're ever feeling in a nostalgic mood and lets face it if you're on this forum you probably do frequently, it's worth looking through their old videos. Although dated, I think they mostly holds up pretty well. This video literally convinced me to download M.A.M.E and try Robotron 2084 a couple years ago:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfX1HV4UlE&t=145s

I'm surprised the videos were made around the same time I was born, I thought they were produced in the late 2000s, really shows the quality for their time.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm surprised the videos were made around the same time I was born, I thought they were produced in the late 2000s, really shows the quality for their time.
I know, it's quite impressive. I also find it weird but also cool that while they were making these videos I was running around in pre-school doing God knows what (and now they must be in their 40s...). Both of the co-hosts were film students, and Mark's Dad is a multi-million dollar CEO of some tech company (Agora Inc), and he funded the website these internet videos were hosted on as a start up company. So they had the talent and funding necessary for this type of operation. Although apparently they only had a budget of $50 an episode since Classic Game Room was a side project in a series of online TV shows the company was focused on. Ironically though, even though Classic Game Room was only done as a passion side project, it's the only one of those shows that hasn't been forgotten in time.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards