Companies forcing you to download an app to purchase certain things.

• Thread starter Cobalt
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 987 times.

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
Okay this is going to be a bit of a rant but it's really pissing me off that places nowadays are requiring an app just to order certain things.

I rarely eat out these days because I'm a broke teenager and trying to eat healthier anyways but recently I went to Taco Bell with some friends. I tried to order the Frito Burrito or whatever the fuck it's called and I was told that I could only order that item through the Taco Bell app. To be clear they had all the ingredients and knowledge to make this item, they simply weren't allowed to do so unless I ordered through the app instead of at the counter. How the fuck is this legal? What if I was blind and couldn't use the app? What if I was homeless and couldn't afford a smartphone? What if the app was offline? would that dictate their ability to make a Frito Burrito? It's just plain scummy and I'm sure theres other buisnesses doing this exact same thing.

Anyways what are the repercussions of this behavior becoming normalized?

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
I hate how much space those apps take up on my phone, because every place has a separate one instead of just one big app. I personally tend to prefer ordering through apps because its convenient, and less time I have to spend in any actual restaurants if I can just go in and grab my food and leave, and collecting points is a nice little bonus if I happen to eat there often enough (which is basically never but whatever)

That's really stupid though, not letting you order that item at the counter. I haven't seen anywhere else do that specifically. At most I see little "app only" bonuses, but that's only ever in the app itself, not advertised in the physical store.

I suppose in terms of repercussions, I can't think of any that don't just boil down to the general repercussions of the world moving to revolving around smartphones. This is just kind of a byproduct of that I suppose.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Pretty sure they just want you to download the app so they can send you push notification ads and harvest data. It's fucking bullshit. Cars are moving towards this trend as well.

Hell I even have to use some app just to be able to start/pay for the laundry machines where I live. It's irritating.

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
holy shit were gonna end up with kitchen appliance apps.
Pretty sure they just want you to download the app so they can send you push notification ads and harvest data. It's fucking bullshit. Cars are moving towards this trend as well.

Hell I even have to use some app just to be able to start/pay for the laundry machines where I live. It's irritating.
with the cars it makes no sense because it just creates more points of failure and hacking vulnerability. you know all the software is being monkey coded in like cambodia

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
holy shit were gonna end up with kitchen appliance apps.

with the cars it makes no sense because it just creates more points of failure and hacking vulnerability. you know all the software is being monkey coded in like cambodia
theres already kitchen appliances with apps. I know some ovens have wifi, which is usually to connect with an app of some sort

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

Car manufacturers have been pushing for a long time to limit the control of the owner, to the point they don't want you to be a owner anymore (leasing). Repairability is getting nigh impossible too, with the intention of making official dealers the only ones being able to repair the cars. Once everyone is forced to EVs and self-driving cars, it's over. Tesla already can take away control from your car remotely if you fail your monthly payment.

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
Car manufacturers have been pushing for a long time to limit the control of the owner, to the point they don't want you to be a owner anymore (leasing). Repairability is getting nigh impossible too, with the intention of making official dealers the only ones being able to repair the cars. Once everyone is forced to EVs and self-driving cars, it's over. Tesla already can take away control from your car remotely if you fail your monthly payment.
This is why I just walk everywhere, God is the only one who can remotely shut me down.

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
Tesla already can take away control from your car remotely if you fail your monthly payment.
That monthly payments thing pisses me off. Now even a car is a subscription service? I hate not being able to just pay for something upfront. If I really want something and don't have the money then I'll save up for it. Hell, I don't even mind stuff like public transit because at least I can still make the choice to just not ride the bus/train at that time if I somehow can't afford it. Oh well, at least walking is good for my health.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
That monthly payments thing pisses me off. Now even a car is a subscription service? I hate not being able to just pay for something upfront. If I really want something and don't have the money then I'll save up for it. Hell, I don't even mind stuff like public transit because at least I can still make the choice to just not ride the bus/train at that time if I somehow can't afford it. Oh well, at least walking is good for my health.
FTdRbJhUsAE5yra

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When economy goes full digital, the little people won't be able to evade taxes with cash anymore. This is pretty much why this is getting pushed.

Tax evasion lives on for fat cats, us chumps get wallet apps.
When this happens, tax evasion becomes a moral virtue. Especially when your taxes only go into your own subjugation. Starve the beast.

When this happens, tax evasion becomes a moral virtue. Especially when your taxes only go into your own subjugation. Starve the beast.
no, starve those who collect them. if taxes goes where they ough to go, then it will be any other world to live in...
phonies.
disgusting.
makes me so angry.
cant do nothing, but still.
wanna make some movement? for RIGHT TO NOT HAVE APP/PHONE ???

Virtual Cafe Awards

agoratoad

hello
Reaction score
Awards
Website
basementcommunity.com
When economy goes full digital, the little people won't be able to evade taxes with cash anymore. This is pretty much why this is getting pushed.

Tax evasion lives on for fat cats, us chumps get wallet apps.
cashless stores are also lowkey prejudice. like making it impossible for someone who doesn't have the means to get a card to purchase something

good to see some cities straight up banning cashless stores

this taco bell thing is giving off similar vibes

xdsoftware

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Okay this is going to be a bit of a rant but it's really pissing me off that places nowadays are requiring an app just to order certain things.

I rarely eat out these days because I'm a broke teenager and trying to eat healthier anyways but recently I went to Taco Bell with some friends. I tried to order the Frito Burrito or whatever the fuck it's called and I was told that I could only order that item through the Taco Bell app. To be clear they had all the ingredients and knowledge to make this item, they simply weren't allowed to do so unless I ordered through the app instead of at the counter. How the fuck is this legal? What if I was blind and couldn't use the app? What if I was homeless and couldn't afford a smartphone? What if the app was offline? would that dictate their ability to make a Frito Burrito? It's just plain scummy and I'm sure theres other buisnesses doing this exact same thing.

Anyways what are the repercussions of this behavior becoming normalized?
The big winner for me of buisness that has forced you to use an app is Ticketmaster. Their obnoxious and mockable "YOUR PHONE IS YOUR TICKET" stunt has been criticised for essentially being uninclusive of seniors and those without a phone (duh).

The reprucussions would be people being forced to use their phones is that we could potentially have every single information on what phone model people have for some interactive stuff on their phones, or worse, a blatant privacy violation on a mass scale.

Virtual Cafe Awards