Conflict of Interest

Deleted member 2362

We are the internet's Grunge music: Completely mainstream while posing as alternative and obscure.

4chan isn't really a normie site though. It's surface level and normie in the sense that it's where a lot of people first get into forum culture but the site's niche boards, like /g/ and /x/ (a lot of people who post here hang out there), lean older and those who spend a lot of time there are more committed to the idea of forums than other well-known forum sites (the only one that really exists anymore being >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk). While everyone on the internet at least vaguely knows about 4chan, the average person does not spend any time there. By niche boards I mean everything besides /b/ and /pol/ I guess, maybe /a/ and /v/ too, which are probably the boards that create the most newfags these days.
4chan is the gateway drug to more obscure places. Nowadays it's literally the first exposure to non-normie social media for many users.

god only knows what i'll be remembered for here
For liking my chatroom messages

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Beyond the UI, the very being of a forum is a deterrent to most internet users today. The average person doesn't move past exclusively interacting with the internet via applications on their phone, remaining locked into FB, YT, Tik Tok, etc. while occasionally googling things when necessary. Even >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, which has regrettably conquered the traditional forum format, is heavily app-driven and keeps people locked into a closed ecosystem which conditions them to not want to venture out to different types of forums. The average person is only a tourist when they visit outside of these platforms.
That's also the reason forums tend to be much higher quality than the rest of the internet. The internet was ruined by the invention of the Iphone making it more and more accessible. Nowadays literal toddlers use the internet more frequently than the most hardcore users 15 years ago. Natural barriers to entry are good.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, it's pretty impressive how the tone of the forum changed from october to now. Seems to me shitposting is down and political posting is up. If I may ask, what has been your favorite period of the Agora?
I'm not a big fan of political discussions, i have my own ideologies, but i'm not a big fan of political debates, specially in a foreign language, i feel it's just a waste of time, every discussions always ends with "noooo you are evil, your ideas killed people, i hate you thanks to propagandaaaaa" :Soyfact: and the other side is always like "noooo, i'm right, you are wrong, you killed more people than me, i hate you thanks to propagandaaaaa" :SoyU2: and neither side agrees with anything, is like discussing with a wall, you lost time and energy in debating something pointless stuff that in the end is just something trivial, i mean, one thing is showing your perspectives or doing a meme, and other is being a political dickhead.

I'll be real, i preffer the light hearted nature of the forum, because nobody takes you that seriously when you say something out of place, because it's just funny, it's a joke, and at least here people knows how to take jokes, i don't like the idea of promoting this website in place like >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, twitter, or 4chan, because we are gonna let in the ultra-sensible people who can't stand anything, the pretentious and arrogant fucks who always think they are right and other people wrong, and the worst of all, people who non-ironically felt identified with color pills and wojaks, like geez man, touch some grass.

Yet still, i doubt i would abandon this website anytime soon, as i said, i like the light-hearted nature, the aesthetics, and in general, is not filled with normies of any kind, Agora is all what i wanted on a website, so i really enjoy spending time here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a big fan of political discussions, i have my own ideologies, but i'm not a big fan of political debates, specially in a foreign language, i feel it's just a waste of time, every discussions always ends with "noooo you are evil, your ideas killed people, i hate you thanks to propagandaaaaa" :Soyfact:
Hear hear

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a big fan of political discussions, i have my own ideologies, but i'm not a big fan of political debates, specially in a foreign language, i feel it's just a waste of time, every discussions always ends with "noooo you are evil, your ideas killed people, i hate you thanks to propagandaaaaa" :Soyfact: and the other side is always like "noooo, i'm right, you are wrong, you killed more people than me, i hate you thanks to propagandaaaaa" :SoyU2: and neither side agrees with anything, is like discussing with a wall, you lost time and energy in debating something pointless stuff that in the end is just something trivial, i mean, one thing is showing your perspectives or doing a meme, and other is being a political dickhead.
photo_2022-01-06_15-15-13.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards

I'll be real, i preffer the light hearted nature of the forum, because nobody takes you that seriously when you say something out of place, because it's just funny, it's a joke, and at least here people knows how to take jokes, i don't like the idea of promoting this website in place like >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, twitter, or 4chan, because we are gonna let in the ultra-sensible people who can't stand anything, the pretentious and arrogant fucks who always think they are right and other people wrong, and the worst of all, people who non-ironically felt identified with color pills and wojaks, like geez man, touch some grass.

Yet still, i doubt i would abandon this website anytime soon, as i said, i like the light-hearted nature, the aesthetics, and in general, is not filled with normies of any kind, Agora is all what i wanted on a website, so i really enjoy spending time here.
I forgot to mention personalization, personalization is one of my favorite things in a website, like in space-hey, being able to decorate your profile as your own style is priceless.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This is the correct mentality to have, debating is useless and a complete waste of time. No one is going to be convinced of anything by arguing with them, especially not on a libertarian Silkroad-inspired vaporwave board. This is like the first lesson they teach to autists who try to get better at talking to people (i.e. how to make friends and influence people) and why I just tried to change the topic when someone wanted to argue with me in chat about climate change. Whether or not a position in a debate is "correct" doesn't matter because no one is trying to be convinced of anything and arguing about shit is just annoying to everyone else. Debate in the direct and adversarial sense cannot produce truth, it's why institutions like academia use peer-reviewed journals and response papers, where people have theoretically infinite time to engage in ideas in a civil way. If people want to have dialogues or conversations about things that's different, similarly if people want to call other people retards or psyop bots for positions they hold they should be free to do that. They just need to remember that no one else gives a shit.

-t a loser who did competitive debate at the international level for 8 years and knows its a farce

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
This is the correct mentality to have, debating is useless and a complete waste of time. No one is going to be convinced of anything by arguing with them, especially not on a libertarian Silkroad-inspired vaporwave board. This is like the first lesson they teach to autists who try to get better at talking to people (i.e. how to make friends and influence people) and why I just tried to change the topic when someone wanted to argue with me in chat about climate change. Whether or not a position in a debate is "correct" doesn't matter because no one is trying to be convinced of anything and arguing about shit is just annoying to everyone else. Debate in the direct and adversarial sense cannot produce truth, it's why institutions like academia use peer-reviewed journals and response papers, where people have theoretically infinite time to engage in ideas in a civil way. If people want to have dialogues or conversations about things that's different, similarly if people want to call other people retards or psyop bots for positions they hold they should be free to do that. They just need to remember that no one else gives a shit.

-t a loser who did competitive debate at the international level for 8 years and knows its a farce
It's Funny, people who used to argue and debate a lot will ended up getting tired because of how pointless it is ad they will preffer just to go with their own flow, i used to be like that, now i only debate when in college the homework is "the debate is gonna be about..." because i'm forced to, not because i like to, you will enjoy internet a bit more if you decide to just ignore sub-brick intelligence individuals.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Then you have unhinged political and sociological rants by people jumping on everyone. I for one am sick of watching this on a daily basis and I'm sure others are as well. It's one thing to have an open forum, it's another to let assholes constantly treat people like this. We can all write this off as "someone being someone " or "trolling for fun" but not everyone especially new people are going to understand what's happening...,or want to have their conversations upended by yet another post by someone telling us how big of a faggot we are because we aren't poor sitting here in Mexico...lashing out because we secretly regret our poor life choices and make others feel like shit so we can feel better about ourself by constantly telling everyone how happy we are to convince ourselves. This shit is going to rot and rust the supports of this forum. Are we a vaporwave / nostalgia forum.....or a forum that caters to flat earth conspiracy assholes that are doing neither, treating members like dirt, using the forum to gain followers for money support like a guy with a sign on the road? I come here to escape the shitty world for a minute and talk about things from a long time ago that gives me some joy as well as others. Others come for the music. The rest come to chat about things like dead internet theory. But where does this fit in.....I don't see it. Seeing this shit just pulls everyone back into reality and reminds us of how shit the world is right now. It also stops the real conversations and breaks the point of the forum. /rantView attachment 14139
Your feelings are valid but in this situation. Have you tried blocking that person?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Then you have unhinged political and sociological rants by people jumping on everyone. I for one am sick of watching this on a daily basis and I'm sure others are as well. It's one thing to have an open forum, it's another to let assholes constantly treat people like this. We can all write this off as "someone being someone " or "trolling for fun" but not everyone especially new people are going to understand what's happening...,or want to have their conversations upended by yet another post by someone telling us how big of a faggot we are because we aren't poor sitting here in Mexico...lashing out because we secretly regret our poor life choices and make others feel like shit so we can feel better about ourself by constantly telling everyone how happy we are to convince ourselves. This shit is going to rot and rust the supports of this forum. Are we a vaporwave / nostalgia forum.....or a forum that caters to flat earth conspiracy assholes that are doing neither, treating members like dirt, using the forum to gain followers for money support like a guy with a sign on the road? I come here to escape the shitty world for a minute and talk about things from a long time ago that gives me some joy as well as others. Others come for the music. The rest come to chat about things like dead internet theory. But where does this fit in.....I don't see it. Seeing this shit just pulls everyone back into reality and reminds us of how shit the world is right now. It also stops the real conversations and breaks the point of the forum. /rantView attachment 14139
Have you considered that different people enjoy different things?

Virtual Cafe Awards

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, it's pretty impressive how the tone of the forum changed from october to now. Seems to me shitposting is down and political posting is up. If I may ask, what has been your favorite period of the Agora?
You will probably see it flip again after a new wave of people come to replace the ones who joined at the last quarter of 2021 (like me). It is inevitable that the content on this site will always be flipping so long as the userbase is small and relies on tourism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Go back to >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk you actual pussy if what Nagolbud says offends you lmao
IMG_20211230_140508.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Then you have unhinged political and sociological rants by people jumping on everyone. I for one am sick of watching this on a daily basis and I'm sure others are as well. It's one thing to have an open forum, it's another to let assholes constantly treat people like this. We can all write this off as "someone being someone " or "trolling for fun" but not everyone especially new people are going to understand what's happening...,or want to have their conversations upended by yet another post by someone telling us how big of a faggot we are because we aren't poor sitting here in Mexico...lashing out because we secretly regret our poor life choices and make others feel like shit so we can feel better about ourself by constantly telling everyone how happy we are to convince ourselves. This shit is going to rot and rust the supports of this forum. Are we a vaporwave / nostalgia forum.....or a forum that caters to flat earth conspiracy assholes that are doing neither, treating members like dirt, using the forum to gain followers for money support like a guy with a sign on the road? I come here to escape the shitty world for a minute and talk about things from a long time ago that gives me some joy as well as others. Others come for the music. The rest come to chat about things like dead internet theory. But where does this fit in.....I don't see it. Seeing this shit just pulls everyone back into reality and reminds us of how shit the world is right now. It also stops the real conversations and breaks the point of the forum. /rant
Why are you entitled to have the entire forum be directed based on your desires when you could easily just (a) ignore him or (b) block him? It's fine to not like someone's shitposting, but why should you get to decide what other people do or what is permitted on this forum? If you are passionate about a particular vibe and want a space to cultivate it, create your own forum where you are free to make those decisions for yourself. Take action into your own hands rather than trying to force action on others.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Absolute basedman, sorry to see you go pal, take care and avoid social media! It is even more toxic than this place.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Well clearly I'm on the wrong forum. So fuck it I'll leave. Have a good time.
I don't get this attitude. No one is saying you're wrong in your opinion (except Kolph LOL) or even necessarily disagreeing. I think most posters find the trolling/schizoposting annoying at least sometimes. What most people are disagreeing with is the idea that this opinion is the only opinion and is the last word on the matter, and that having this opinion creates an entitlement to directing what is permitted on the forum when you have other mechanisms available to you to deal with your legitimate, albeit personal, dissatisfaction. No one is stopping you from blocking nagol et al and making threads about what you want to discuss.

Virtual Cafe Awards