Conflict of Interest

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
Then you have unhinged political and sociological rants by people jumping on everyone. I for one am sick of watching this on a daily basis and I'm sure others are as well. It's one thing to have an open forum, it's another to let assholes constantly treat people like this. We can all write this off as "someone being someone " or "trolling for fun" but not everyone especially new people are going to understand what's happening...,or want to have their conversations upended by yet another post by someone telling us how big of a faggot we are because we aren't poor sitting here in Mexico...lashing out because we secretly regret our poor life choices and make others feel like shit so we can feel better about ourself by constantly telling everyone how happy we are to convince ourselves. This shit is going to rot and rust the supports of this forum. Are we a vaporwave / nostalgia forum.....or a forum that caters to flat earth conspiracy assholes that are doing neither, treating members like dirt, using the forum to gain followers for money support like a guy with a sign on the road? I come here to escape the shitty world for a minute and talk about things from a long time ago that gives me some joy as well as others. Others come for the music. The rest come to chat about things like dead internet theory. But where does this fit in.....I don't see it. Seeing this shit just pulls everyone back into reality and reminds us of how shit the world is right now. It also stops the real conversations and breaks the point of the forum. /rantView attachment 14139

Imagine crying about two trolls dancing when it doesn't even involve you. Typical college kid trying to turn the world into his safe space.. every where you go its gotta be some safe space where you feel "safe". Now that's cringe as fuck. You realize there is a block button right? Block me and move on with your life... I give no fucks. I gotta go to work for 10 hours. Later Jody.

Reaction score
Awards
No better place to keep a secret than out in the wide-open.
Reminds me of a story from the grand daddy of all glowies, Allen Dulles. Back in the early days of the CIA, they had their main HQ behind barbed wire with a sign that said "Government Printing Office." Tours though DC would specifically stop their buses and point out loudly how the building was in fact the secret headquarters of the CIA. Eventually they realized you can be too secretive, and just put CIA on the building.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I don't get this attitude. No one is saying you're wrong in your opinion (except Kolph LOL) or even necessarily disagreeing. I think most posters find the trolling/schizoposting annoying at least sometimes. What most people are disagreeing with is the idea that this opinion is the only opinion and is the last word on the matter, and that having this opinion creates an entitlement to directing what is permitted on the forum when you have other mechanisms available to you to deal with your legitimate, albeit personal, dissatisfaction. No one is stopping you from blocking nagol et al and making threads about what you want to discuss.
I try not to be a cunt (though I'm a bit of a cunt to be fair) but I just can't stand guys like this fella who are so sheltered and get offended easily by a few trolls who are just having a laugh. He says he craves the old internet and fails to acknowledge that controversial, edgy, and boundary pushing users were a big part of that, the old internet wasn't this UwU wholesome place; far from it, he would get ripped to shreds back then. Maybe it's just my background but this harsh banter is part of my daily life at work and study, and I hate compromising for people who can't take it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I try not to be a cunt (though I'm a bit of a cunt to be fair) but I just can't stand guys like this fella who are so sheltered and get offended easily by a few trolls who are just having a laugh. He says he craves the old internet and fails to acknowledge that controversial, edgy, and boundary pushing users were a big part of that, the old internet wasn't this UwU wholesome place; far from it, he would get ripped to shreds back then. Maybe it's just my background but this harsh banter is part of my daily life at work and study, and I hate compromising for people who can't take it.
Say what you want to king, was just recognising that you were an exception to what I was saying lol. I didn't take your post particularly seriously.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I used to be a member of voat. It had much of the same ideals as this place, but in a way more relaxed way. It was supposed to be a way for those who got tired of plebbit to make our own plebbit. While the admins did make a valiant effort towards safeguarding the place and seeking an angel investor to keep it running; it ultimately collapsed upon its own weight. Initially, it did attract a lot of the free speechers, but it also attracted a lot of the refuse-tier users from plebbitt. People who's only use for free speech was to make political statements and to show why the other "team" was wrong. Never to waiver from their dogma. People who falsely believed they were infallible and refused to open their ears. A pseudo-superiority.

The problem with the place was that those who came seeking free speech were tailed by those who seek to abuse it. Those on the left who couldn't defend their viewpoints without heavy handed moderation retreated to plebbit where the mods and echo chamber could safely protect and support their viewpoints as well as outnumber any right wingers. Discussion without dissent is like pizza without the sauce. Pointless. Nowadays you can see the dumpster of plebbit replete with their kin. Full of people who want free this and free that. Damn the expense. Someone else will pay for it. Some even go as far as calling certain things "rights." Right to internet. Right to housing. Right to healthcare. The only rights you have are those given to you by a creator entity or imbued in you at birth, not the state, not a government. Things that take heavy labor from others will never be rights no matter how hard they screech for them to be so.

Outnumbered, those who were left aligned simply left voat and either returned to plebbit or dissipated elsewhere. Okay, so far its just a right wing >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, but wait it gets worse. This led to a centralization and competition from those on the right wing to engage in a shouting competition on who could shout their views the loudest. This alienated even the staunchest supporters of free speech and the hardiest of the left aligned. This coupled with incessant image based propaganda from racist alt-right nationalists alienated many of the free speechers and drove away many supporters of the site. In addition it also brought them attention from entities with access to CSAM. The site was booted from several hosts repeatedly over unknown entities that continued to upload CSAM to the site. I still don't know why the government hasn't gone after the uploaders and can only speculate why. Turns out very few people were actually interested in funding the place. Most just wanted a place to screech political viewpoints. I recall several times where the site was nearly close to going under, but always far from reaching their donation goals. It was saved repeatedly by various secret angel investors. Those who wanted the site down turned their attention to the angel investors and ultimately they all buckled under pressure.

Which brings us to the obvious problem. We can support free speech entirely, and let racism and identity politics destroy us from within. Or we have limits and abandon fully free speech. Either way we lose. There are far too many people who take free speech as a license to behave like an idiot on the internet. Some even going as far as confusing the first amendment and falsely tricking themselves into believing it applies anywhere. I used to be a forum mod for a mid level game publisher. I wont name who because NDA. But every so often I'd have to mute or ban some idiot who presumably passed civics in high school, yet failed to actually learn anything of value. (Thanks bush. Should've left those turds behind).

Even more problematic is free speech off the net. In the United States, the first amendment protects free speech with some caveats for safety. People will abuse free speech falsely believing it is a license to spew hot takes. Instead it should be thought of as a license to open your ears. Not your trap. Unfortunately in the real world the situation is more dire than initially appears. Powerful interest groups have a vested interest in folding over free speech with exemptions for ill defined and loosely organized groups. Ultimately the freedom becomes riddled with the bullet holes of exemptions casting a chill over free speech as thought policing takes over. Whoever defines the protected groups has all the power. I think we can all agree that hate speech should be discouraged, but to what extent and to what punishment is a highly complex and dangerous problem.

The crux of the problem is who gets to define what hate speech is. Here we are lucky that the administration is competent and qualified, but offline that is rarely the case. Power attracts the most vile, worthless, useless, thirsty, liars, degenerate, villains you could ever hope to amass under one rotten degenerate roof. With the stench of sin equivalent to a whorehouse. They are armed not with guns, but with the power of law and seek to exercise it to the fullest extent for maximum personal gain. Enjoying the unearned fruits of their status they look down on us from behind a contemptful and malevolent sneers in false security under a mistaken belief that we are powerless. A look of disgust from they, our betters, to us, the false "lesser." I can point to countless examples of our so called "leaders" behaving in disgrace of the offices they falsely obtained under fake pretenses. Swearing an oath to uphold the constitution and then immediately betraying it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be a member of voat. It had much of the same ideals as this place, but in a way more relaxed way. It was supposed to be a way for those who got tired of plebbit to make our own plebbit. While the admins did make a valiant effort towards safeguarding the place and seeking an angel investor to keep it running; it ultimately collapsed upon its own weight. Initially, it did attract a lot of the free speechers, but it also attracted a lot of the refuse-tier users from plebbitt. People who's only use for free speech was to make political statements and to show why the other "team" was wrong. Never to waiver from their dogma. People who falsely believed they were infallible and refused to open their ears. A pseudo-superiority.

The problem with the place was that those who came seeking free speech were tailed by those who seek to abuse it. Those on the left who couldn't defend their viewpoints without heavy handed moderation retreated to plebbit where the mods and echo chamber could safely protect and support their viewpoints as well as outnumber any right wingers. Discussion without dissent is like pizza without the sauce. Pointless. Nowadays you can see the dumpster of plebbit replete with their kin. Full of people who want free this and free that. Damn the expense. Someone else will pay for it. Some even go as far as calling certain things "rights." Right to internet. Right to housing. Right to healthcare. The only rights you have are those given to you by a creator entity or imbued in you at birth, not the state, not a government. Things that take heavy labor from others will never be rights no matter how hard they screech for them to be so.

Outnumbered, those who were left aligned simply left voat and either returned to plebbit or dissipated elsewhere. Okay, so far its just a right wing >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, but wait it gets worse. This led to a centralization and competition from those on the right wing to engage in a shouting competition on who could shout their views the loudest. This alienated even the staunchest supporters of free speech and the hardiest of the left aligned. This coupled with incessant image based propaganda from racist alt-right nationalists alienated many of the free speechers and drove away many supporters of the site. In addition it also brought them attention from entities with access to CSAM. The site was booted from several hosts repeatedly over unknown entities that continued to upload CSAM to the site. I still don't know why the government hasn't gone after the uploaders and can only speculate why. Turns out very few people were actually interested in funding the place. Most just wanted a place to screech political viewpoints. I recall several times where the site was nearly close to going under, but always far from reaching their donation goals. It was saved repeatedly by various secret angel investors. Those who wanted the site down turned their attention to the angel investors and ultimately they all buckled under pressure.

Which brings us to the obvious problem. We can support free speech entirely, and let racism and identity politics destroy us from within. Or we have limits and abandon fully free speech. Either way we lose. There are far too many people who take free speech as a license to behave like an idiot on the internet. Some even going as far as confusing the first amendment and falsely tricking themselves into believing it applies anywhere. I used to be a forum mod for a mid level game publisher. I wont name who because NDA. But every so often I'd have to mute or ban some idiot who presumably passed civics in high school, yet failed to actually learn anything of value. (Thanks bush. Should've left those turds behind).

Even more problematic is free speech off the net. In the United States, the first amendment protects free speech with some caveats for safety. People will abuse free speech falsely believing it is a license to spew hot takes. Instead it should be thought of as a license to open your ears. Not your trap. Unfortunately in the real world the situation is more dire than initially appears. Powerful interest groups have a vested interest in folding over free speech with exemptions for ill defined and loosely organized groups. Ultimately the freedom becomes riddled with the bullet holes of exemptions casting a chill over free speech as thought policing takes over. Whoever defines the protected groups has all the power. I think we can all agree that hate speech should be discouraged, but to what extent and to what punishment is a highly complex and dangerous problem.

The crux of the problem is who gets to define what hate speech is. Here we are lucky that the administration is competent and qualified, but offline that is rarely the case. Power attracts the most vile, worthless, useless, thirsty, liars, degenerate, villains you could ever hope to amass under one rotten degenerate roof. With the stench of sin equivalent to a whorehouse. They are armed not with guns, but with the power of law and seek to exercise it to the fullest extent for maximum personal gain. Enjoying the unearned fruits of their status they look down on us from behind a contemptful and malevolent sneers in false security under a mistaken belief that we are powerless. A look of disgust from they, our betters, to us, the false "lesser." I can point to countless examples of our so called "leaders" behaving in disgrace of the offices they falsely obtained under fake pretenses. Swearing an oath to uphold the constitution and then immediately betraying it.

You can't abuse free speech. But with the internet you can overreach the boundaries of reality and say things you would never say in the real world. thats when you become a pussy and some low iq faggot on the internet. You talk stupid you get punched in the real world. And sometimes you gotta deliver an internet punch.

You can't abuse free speech. But with the internet you can overreach the boundaries of reality and say things you would never say in the real world. thats when you become a pussy and some low iq faggot on the internet. You talk stupid you get punched in the real world. And sometimes you gotta deliver an internet punch.
Internet punch sounds a lot like nonsense. In the real world a punch has a noticeable effect on the subject and rectifies the problem, but on the net? Oh no an internet punch. Scared. It doesn't do anything other than encourage de-evolution of the conversation into a keyboard-based shouting match. It simply does not work. A lot of it just becomes spam that can be ignored.

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
The problem is that the userbase constantly change every few months. And very few core members stay for the long run. So the lifeblood of the forum is literally the users. If we dont grow, the forum will die.
return of the jedi GIF by Star Wars
exactly , alot of members ignore the website until further notice and new ones come and leave as it is a cycle . Tho I like the communities I am in To be small / between a group of people , I dont think that may happen as all communities grow

Virtual Cafe Awards

Restricted VHS

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
It can grow as long as it attracts the right audience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think we should advertise this site in places where its viewership matters. I don't think we should completely gatekeep this site. But I also don't think that It should be spread as much as possible. We should be selective in who sees this place. But what do I know I'm not as active as others users here.
Where do you think the site should be advertised? I can't really think of anything at the top of my head besides 4chan. I think someone in this thread already said that 4chan is basically a normies 1st exposure to non normie culture.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Yeah. I used to spend a lot of time on Zelda Universe when I was a kid, it served as one of my main forums alongside GameFaqs and a few others. A little while ago I popped on to see if it was still alive and was shocked to see that there was a whole official section of the forum for LGBTQ+ posters and allies. I haven't looked through it because it is a hidden board that you have to ask for permission to access, but I suspect it looks a lot like the "clan" forums the site has where they are basically just General Discussion. Not sure why this is necessary on a Zelda forum and it probably siphons activity from an already dying site. It's not like people were running around ZU calling people faggots and posting the YWNBW-pasta either.
Same. That was a community I was extremely active in throughout my teens. I revisited it recently - even removing the lgbt whatever board (who are they kidding) from the equation I found it to be almost unnavigable and hideous besides that.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
The price you pay for not being a normie or giving into normie conformity is learning how2internets. You're gonna have to shill out the 5 dollars a month for a VPS, and an additional 10 dollars for the holocaust-denial-and-lolicon-archive.biz domain. Really social media lulled us into a false sense of security and sort of just corralled us all onto a few platforms that were doomed to be lobotomized to suit advertisers and political interest. We just need refuge platforms like this and other sites. I'm optimistic about "The Fediverse." Even if it doesn't catch on with the masses, it acts as a good middle ground for self hosted forums like this and modern social media.

My concern lately has been more for normie sanity, because as they getting more and more extreme due to social media algorithms and rigging, it may lead to hard legislation so you can't even say the 2020 election looks sort of fishy or need to cut through a mountain of legal red tape to host a website or app.

Speaking of >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, one of the good things to come from their crackdown on edgy communities was forcing /r/Drama offsite, which has only made their trolling campaigns even grander.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Same. That was a community I was extremely active in throughout my teens. I revisited it recently - even removing the lgbt whatever board (who are they kidding) from the equation I found it to be almost unnavigable and hideous besides that.
That's because they went full retard and further Temple-ized the site. They took the worst theme and made an even worse version of it be required. I think they added more themes later after the revamp but the site is just so terrible to navigate now. This won't make any sense to non-ZUers but words cannot describe how awful Temple is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Where do you think the site should be advertised? I can't really think of anything at the top of my head besides 4chan. I think someone in this thread already said that 4chan is basically a normies 1st exposure to non normie culture.
The only other place I can think of is some sections of KF but even then it would have to be word of mouth since they don't have ads. That or telegram if someone here has a successful meme channel that fits the site's vibe. Everywhere else is too sanitized or too racist to play nice.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MrFiredragon613

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I agree with this completely and I may have used that same argument in my stance regarding gatekeeping.

I think that the look, feel, and reason for this site to exist are all deterrents to the brainwashed normie crowds. They're too stupid and full of bio-engineered sludge to take more than 10 seconds figuring out a site that, on the surface, would seem to give so little dopamine in return.

Thus, we are only left with the interesting folks or those capable of being interesting folks.
lol yeah I was thinking that. Most people would take one second and see that not everything is laid right out in front of them like Instagram or Facebook and leave. I personally like the aesthetic. It looks cool. Even if it did take a second to figure out where everything was.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MadokaStarpunch

Space Wizard
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone considered reaching out to the folks that run the Y2K Aesthetic Institute? That seems like a pretty good avenue for advertisement if you're looking for members. I personally found this place through the Aesthetics wiki, just hopped off the bus today.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To answer that question you could do a poll on how people got here in the first place. I'm new here so concerning this question my input might be valuable, but I got here thanks to one of the site directories/web rings I'm following.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The only other place I can think of is some sections of KF but even then it would have to be word of mouth since they don't have ads. That or telegram if someone here has a successful meme channel that fits the site's vibe. Everywhere else is too sanitized or too racist to play nice.
kf was my first thought to but I refrained from mentioning since it's so fucking edgy and mean-spirited and Im new here and dunno if thats what you want pulling in

Virtual Cafe Awards