Consumer-Grade Brain Interfacing for VR Headsets Revealed

Sulfate

Double Nickels on the Dime
Reaction score
Awards
Website
55-pedro.neocities.org
Sure, it's gonna be expensive as shit but imagine the datamining. This serves literally no purpose apart from massive datafarms. Sure, it has good medical implementations but they don't catch terrorists with the data they have on you either, do they?

View: https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/1531608783008448516

Conspiracies welcome, as always.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
It really frightens me. I dont really see the need for it i guess. The amount of control that technology kinda has on us already is too much - I dont want to give it direct access to my actual brain!

Virtual Cafe Awards

ForgotMyPassword

Glow in the dark warship afficionado
Reaction score
Awards
Imagine thinking this is a genuinely good idea. Fucking thieves, the lot of them

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
If you voluntarily put one of these on your head you are an absolute fool. Sadly, many will.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
One thing to note here is this is not new technology. EEG is already implemented in huge numbers of products, from gaming headsets, to "brain fitbit" type products, to BCIs for hobbyists etc. This is just a slightly more condensed iteration with the integration for VR.

This kind of device can provide information on the frequency and synchrony of the activity of your cortex, but nothing more. You can predict things like subjective emotional states by correlation, but there is no information to "decode" from the brain. This thing won't read your thoughts, it won't know what you're feeling or be able to predict your actions.

It will provide a source of data to mine, sure. But nothing the industries that want this data do not already have access to, especially while the product is so prohibitively expensive. Once "everyone" has one, it will become a powerful resource for gauging people's reactions to stimuli in real time, and so designing ways to influence those reactions. But that information is already known by the companies that make these things (via the scientific community) as they need a source to base their correlations off.
Private entities like facebook spend millions (billions?) per year on gathering this type of data using much more sophisticated methods than any tech boy's fancy toy will achieve in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
One thing to note here is this is not new technology. EEG is already implemented in huge numbers of products, from gaming headsets, to "brain fitbit" type products, to BCIs for hobbyists etc. This is just a slightly more condensed iteration with the integration for VR.

This kind of device can provide information on the frequency and synchrony of the activity of your cortex, but nothing more. You can predict things like subjective emotional states by correlation, but there is no information to "decode" from the brain. This thing won't read your thoughts, it won't know what you're feeling or be able to predict your actions.

It will provide a source of data to mine, sure. But nothing the industries that want this data do not already have access to, especially while the product is so prohibitively expensive. Once "everyone" has one, it will become a powerful resource for gauging people's reactions to stimuli in real time, and so designing ways to influence those reactions. But that information is already known by the companies that make these things (via the scientific community) as they need a source to base their correlations off.
Private entities like facebook spend millions (billions?) per year on gathering this type of data using much more sophisticated methods than any tech boy's fancy toy will achieve in the next 10 years.
So we are all going to die?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards

This!

IT has been used in VR headsets before already too:

View: https://youtu.be/eumgqYgZzTg

It sounds very flashy but if you see what actually can be done with it, it's pretty underwhelming.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sure, it's gonna be expensive as shit but imagine the datamining. This serves literally no purpose apart from massive datafarms.
I don't think that's entirely accurate.

While you're right that it can technically only gather data, and while we can only speculate because nothing like this TRULY exists yet, there are several gaming applications this could be used for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdFuJhXupPA

For example, with things like cognitive flexibility, we can (at least theoretically) detect if a player is finding a puzzle too easy or too difficult, and adjust the difficulty accordingly. Obviously we can already do this now based on metrics like time taken, number of failed tries etc, but this would be a lot more accurate and just "automatic", even on your first playthrough. Games like Left 4 Dead already try to gauge "stress levels" of players, and send a horde when they are too calm (and reduce enemies when they are too stressed). Combined with technology like this, that could do amazing things for accurate balancing of things like hordes in a theoretical Left 4 Dead VR Game.

ALL THAT SAID, you are absolutely right to question the motives behind doing stuff like this. I am already terrified of what evil things Faceboo...*cough* Meta will do with things like Cambria's eye tracking data, so this isn't just theoretical for some future technology - it's happening now.

The GOOD news is that BCI's currently can't read anything super advanced like your thoughts etc without an implant. At least for now. So it's only vague data like stress/attention levels, etc.

VR headsets are very spooky devices already - full of cameras, microphones, accelerometers, and other data-gathering devices. Worse, while open-source application-layer software like OpenVR exists to interface between games and the headset (so at least Games can't track that sort of data without permission, although they might also be unplayable without access to those sensors), almost all VR device firmware on the market is extremely proprietary, and often requires proprietary driver software to also be installed on a PC to actually use them (at least in link-mode. For standalone like with the Quest 2, you only have to worry about the software on the device).

Still, I feel that the current market dominance of an ad company (Meta) within the VR space is far more terrifying than BCI information, and I am more concerned about eye tracking data right now. But if Meta decides to add BCI to a headset, run for the hills as fast as you can, it's not going to end well.

In fact, and this is cutting directly into my bottom line as a developer, but if you care about privacy, I would recommend not buying a VR headset at all, with or without BCI technology. I personally will be avoiding this, or at the very least, keeping it to the absolute minimum if possible (depending on if I need a BCI enabled headset for dev work).

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Here's a directly relevant, dystopian af article just released about these topics

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
here's the evil company that sponsored the article

Virtual Cafe Awards