Cookie's Bustle - Someone is trying to remove all evidence that this obscure Japanese game from the 90's existed

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
As you may or may not have heard, someone is claiming and removing all videos and downloads relating to the 90's point-and-click game Cookie's Bustle. This is absolutely bizarre, considering that the developer went bust in the early 2000's and the general obscurity of the game. We don't yet know who is doing this, or better yet, why. Some have speculated that it is the work of a collector's attempt to artificially inflate the value of the game, but it's still up in the air.

Again, to reiterate, for YEARS this was considered abandonware to the point myabondonware.com had it available for download until recently.

2/25 Edit: IA links are down. If you'd still like to download, PM me.

I have the .img file, the .ova virtual machine setup, the OST in .mp4 format and Vinesauce's stream vod.

Videos and articles on the subject:

View: https://youtu.be/nk-stI_S4G8

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
The game itself is absolutely wild. Not just the premise but the absurd gameplay. I've been playing the first bits and I think everyone should give it a try if you like bizarre media.

So download it if you want it, but also there's a small community that formed after one of vinesauce's streams of this game and they have a guy who owns physical copies. So even if it gets taken down there's ways to get it back.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
What a surreal situation. Why would anyone want this game to disappear so badly? The crazy game collector/copyright troll explanation makes sense, but I also have a hard time believing that a single person would be able to do all this. Did they create Graceware just to claim ownership of Cookie's Bustle? How were they able to file copyright claims under the names of Nintendo and Ukie? It's too weird. My inner conspiracy theorist says that there's something hidden in this game that somebody really wants covered up. The fact that the developers got their start making new age fortune telling software is suspicious.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

OrientalGrill

Internet Trainhopper. Seeker of homes.
Reaction score
Awards
The existence of a 5 year old girl who thinks she is a teddy bear makes the elites seethe
How can one little girl be so based

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Hosting a copy here^ for anyone that wants it
Shouts to No56 for the initial share

May duplicate over ipfs and bittorrent
Should probably add that the file linked here is actually a Windows XP virtual machine that comes with the game already installed and configured correctly. Install Virtualbox, click on "Cookie's Bustle.ova," and you should be good to go. Make sure not to change the virtual machine resolution because it will break the game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards
Reptillians? Would be quite far fetched dont you think?
You will never know in this life, especially this current situation. Everyone is so heavily desentized to every single thing going on. If they would interfere, no one would know or notice, because sadly, no one cares anymore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Is there some sort of comprehensive tl;dr on how this game has been getting wiped and possible motives? I've never really seen this sort of thing happen with Japanese abandonware before

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Is there some sort of comprehensive tl;dr on how this game has been getting wiped and possible motives? I've never really seen this sort of thing happen with Japanese abandonware before
start with the video linked by op

Virtual Cafe Awards
You will never know in this life, especially this current situation. Everyone is so heavily desentized to every single thing going on. If they would interfere, no one would know or notice, because sadly, no one cares anymore.
Idk who said this, but "world will end and those at it will laufht, thinking it is all but joke..."

Virtual Cafe Awards