Cool/niche internet lore from your country?

Eden Suki

It's always 3am ニっェ
Reaction score
Awards
Website
notaimingforthetruck.com
I was wondering if anyone has cool internet lore from their culture to share. I'll start. I'm from Israel and one cool nostalgic piece of lore I can think off off the top of my head is 10GAG. 10GAG was an Israeli version of 9gag which was somewhat popular in the early to mid 2010s and was responsible for creating/popularizing certain Israeli memes some of which stood the test of time and are still used today. It's now long gone but here are some ancient Israeli memes I managed to find by digging a little. Translations included.

10593229_985957998097161_6807968388657999178_n.jpg

"Wonder where ISIS people are doing rosh hashana [Jewish beginning of the year holiday, "rosh" means head so ISIS haha?]
Watermarks displayed a bunch of random jokes, this one says "We have no rules! *terms and services apply"

2020c3d6-819a-47ea-b14b-2baef6755ce2.jpg

Gyarados and "Gary-Dos [slang for ultra orthodox jews]"
Watermark says "If you [female form] are reading this it's a sign you have a computer in the kitchen"

ראחאטקלק.jpg

"Pinuki [Spot the dog's hebrew translation] settles on valentine's day"
Watermark says "there will always be something more important on the news"

hetjkeyky.jpg

Self explanatory. Watermark says "You're not really studying now"

Some semi-working wayback (missing the top bar / original logo and a bunch of other stuff but still)

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"Pinuki [Spot the dog's hebrew translation] settles on valentine's day"
Watermark says "there will always be something more important on the news
I had one of the books of the series about Spot breaking a window with his ball.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
87_1.jpg

ehqcfkixsae8otp.jpg

Many good stuff came from demonstrations in Athens. One of them is a dog called Loukanikos who was present in 2011 big protest in Athens and this picture one of some mid aged lady stomping over a mask in an antivaxxer and pandemic denier protest. Αlso we have a youtube channel called luben picking up highlights from tv realities, trash tv and local news.
youtube.com/channel/UCOXgW2DaRkuyDlOf96ffhmg.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I forgot about Mykonos. The island is overrated for no reason, there isn't culture and interesting landmarks compared to other islands, expensive food which is the same as you eat in other greek seafood tavern, most celebrities visit it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden Suki

It's always 3am ニっェ
Reaction score
Awards
Website
notaimingforthetruck.com
View attachment 33485
View attachment 33483
Many good stuff came from demonstrations in Athens. One of them is a dog called Loukanikos who was present in 2011 big protest in Athens and this picture one of some mid aged lady stomping over a mask in an antivaxxer and pandemic denier protest. Αlso we have a youtube channel called luben picking up highlights from tv realities, trash tv and local news.
youtube.com/channel/UCOXgW2DaRkuyDlOf96ffhmg.
I forgot about Mykonos. The island is overrated for no reason, there isn't culture and interesting landmarks compared to other islands, expensive food which is the same as you eat in other greek seafood tavern, most celebrities visit it.

very interesting I might look further into it. I heard about Mykonos before it seems like a real enigma from what I've seen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
very interesting I might look further into it
Thanks. I think its pretty good idea for a topic sharing memes and funny content outside of anglosphere even lesser known local social media platforms could work.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
The first and thus oldest German born internet meme began at the University of Bielefeld, where some nerds in usenet and mailing lists came up with a joke that the city of Bielefeld doesn't actually exists and everyone who claims otherwise is part of a conspiracy.

The joke made it into real life long ago and German zoomers don't even know about it anymore so it's sadly dying. At its height, the City offered one million euro prize money to anyone who could prove that Bielefeld indeed does not exist and one philosophy student got awfully close to winning that with some clever philosophy/semantics.
It has become part of the city's folklore and you'll find references to it a lot. If you apply at the Uni today, they still have "Yes, we DO exist" in their signature and other small gags like this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden Suki

It's always 3am ニっェ
Reaction score
Awards
Website
notaimingforthetruck.com
The first and thus oldest German born internet meme began at the University of Bielefeld, where some nerds in usenet and mailing lists came up with a joke that the city of Bielefeld doesn't actually exists and everyone who claims otherwise is part of a conspiracy.

The joke made it into real life long ago and German zoomers don't even know about it anymore so it's sadly dying. At its height, the City offered one million euro prize money to anyone who could prove that Bielefeld indeed does not exist and one philosophy student got awfully close to winning that with some clever philosophy/semantics.
It has become part of the city's folklore and you'll find references to it a lot. If you apply at the Uni today, they still have "Yes, we DO exist" in their signature and other small gags like this.

Usenet? Wow, German internet culture must have an extensive history. Very intriguing and the fact it has actual IRL culture impact to this day is crazy. Btw in Israel we have a similar (more current) meme about how the city of Petah Tikvah doesn't exist, probably has something to do with its reputation as an absolute hellhole. It's like an ironic fake conspiracy thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Usenet? Wow, German internet culture must have an extensive history. Very intriguing and the fact it has actual IRL culture impact to this day is crazy. Btw in Israel we have a similar (more current) meme about how the city of Petah Tikvah doesn't exist, probably has something to do with its reputation as an absolute hellhole. It's like an ironic fake conspiracy thing.
Petah Tikvah reminds me of Athens.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
very interesting I might look further into it. I heard about Mykonos before it seems like a real enigma from what I've seen.
It's a meme at this point. Also a fake concipirancy thing, like being a small indepedent state because business owners evade taxes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl

How did the philosophy student get awfully close? I'm wondering what loopholes they tried to use

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
How did the philosophy student get awfully close? I'm wondering what loopholes they tried to use
Not finding any details. Just an article that said that one quantum physicist got close, one cartographer/Geography major did some clever math on maps and that one philosophy student but idk if their submissions are public and I don't wanna dig rn

Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
¿Tu lo eres? Si es así, saludos desde el coquimbo csm.
View attachment 33514
No, soy mexichango, lmao. Aprecio bastante a los chilenos tho. Allá por 2007 las nacionalidades más frecuentes en el Internet hispano eran la chilena y la venezolana. Básicamente todos mis Ciber amigos eran de una de esas dos nacionalidades, así que me da mucha nostalgia.
También de vez en cuando browseo bandada, lel.

Virtual Cafe Awards