Cool operating systems

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
What are some cool/unique operating systems, and where can I find them?

Virtual Cafe Awards
PonyOS
It is isn't some random linux distro, it uses its own kernel(they say it does, at least). I ran it in a vm once and it wasn't unusable, especially considering it had a real package manager and a functioning terminal. They don't have a special mascot, al ponies are their mascot.

screenshot.png

Plan 9
Made by Bell labs. plan 9 is what they believe unix should have evolved into. I did not run it soo i don't know much about it. As far as their words go it is unix but they learnt a lot from unix and fixed the system issues in a more elegant way. That rabbit is their mascot but i saw people use Cirno because it has 9 in its name.

screenshot.gif

AROS
The operating system for the notorious furries. It started as the Amiga research OS but changed it to AROS research OS because loisance. It is compatible with AmigaOS and looks cool in a retro way. That cat in the background is their Mascot.

zuneprefs1.png

SourceMage
This one is just a linux distro soo i won't post a screenshot. The cool thing about this distro is it's package manager is just a bunch of bash scripts that install software and compile them and it is called sorcery. It is quite old, obscure for a linux distro and i really like the name and the general theme of the OS. This pic isn't their mascot, someone posted about the distro with that image on a IB soo i will too.
1504524746686.png

TempleOS
Everyone knows what TempleOS is, if you don't Fuck you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
TempleOS
Everyone knows what TempleOS is, if you don't Fuck you.
TempleOS is peak, weird OS.

PonyOS
It is isn't some random linux distro, it uses its own kernel(they say it does, at least). I ran it in a vm once and it wasn't unusable, especially considering it had a real package manager and a functioning terminal. They don't have a special mascot, al ponies are their mascot.
screenshot.png
Why the hell does this exist

Virtual Cafe Awards
Redox OS is a Unix-like opersating system inspired by Plan 9, written entirely in rust. It sports a neat micro-kernel, and doesn't use GNU utils.
View attachment 56926
root as a user in a graphical environments makes me feel nauseous. It looks quite cool thought, microkernel and drivers in userspace are neat.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I can't believe i forgot to post the coolest OS ever, freebsd. Their motto was "Think Correctly" and their mascot is a demon. They should teach a think or two to Linus about the importance of a cool mascot, considering he choose Tux instead of a effeminate anthro fox with a keyboard. I also won't post a screenshot because it is linux compliant enough to use any DE or wm with it.
bsd-unix-bsd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

mouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Haiku and SerenityOS deserve mention
Haiku is actually fairly usable thanks to creating compatibility layers for driver work done for FBSD and porting QT5

AROS
The operating system for the notorious furries. It started as the Amiga research OS but changed it to AROS research OS because loisance. It is compatible with AmigaOS and looks cool in a retro way. That cat in the background is their Mascot.

zuneprefs1.png
"AROS" actually stands for Eric Schwartz's Desktop Commander

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
RedStar OS
All I recall is that it's a Linux based OS North Korea uses.
RedStarOS-2021-04-03-16-50-57.png

AROS
The operating system for the notorious furries. It started as the Amiga research OS but changed it to AROS research OS because loisance.
Wtf is it with furries and Amiga nostalgia? Is it just because of Eric Schwartz's comics?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Haiku and SerenityOS deserve mention
Haiku is actually fairly usable thanks to creating compatibility layers for driver work done for FBSD and porting QT5
Haiku
I has support for 25 languages, a functioning package manager and it takes some ideas from the long dead Beos. They try to centralise the software stack of the OS, which makes sense.

icons.png

SerenityOS(i thought i wrote about this)
It wants a 1990's look on a desktop OS, there doesn't seem to be anything deeper than that.

screenshot-b36968c.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
God i forget to post the coolest OS ever, Minix
Andrew tanenbaum wrote this OS 1987 and made it better as time went on. The OS was proof his book, operating systems, design and implementation, wasn't bullshit. In 2001 he relicensed it under BSD license because he didn't think his os had commercial usage. Sadly for him intel had different ideas, they took minix's kernel and used it as the OS for the IME soo just about any CPU after 2010's run minix while Andrew didn't even know his OS was used. He admits he learnt this in a letter he wrote to intel here. It is insanely sad, everyone runs his kernel indirectly while his OS doesn't even have modern utils yet. They took the usable parts of the code and didn't give anything back. Now he pretends to be proud of being the programmer of the most used OS while everyone can see the bitterness underneath. Minix has a special place in OS history for being the second OS to cuck his developer, the first one being freebsd.
I won't post images because it is tty only.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 5489

Mezzano. It's an operating system written in Common Lisp. Looks promising but alas needs more development. Very cool.

screenshot1.png

Mezzano. It's an operating system written in Common Lisp. Looks promising but alas needs more development. Very cool.

View attachment 57087
Why did they even waste time writing all those utilities when they could just start emacs as init? I don't understand those nerds sometimes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 5489

Why did they even waste time writing all those utilities when they could just start emacs as init? I don't understand those nerds sometimes.
My guess would be Emacs is a text editor at the end of the day with "extensibility" and they wanted to write an OS purely in CL.

mouse

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Haiku
I has support for 25 languages, a functioning package manager and it takes some ideas from the long dead Beos. They try to centralise the software stack of the OS, which makes sense.

icons.png

SerenityOS(i thought i wrote about this)
It wants a 1990's look on a desktop OS, there doesn't seem to be anything deeper than that.

View attachment 56973
What's most impressive is how fast Serenity has been developed by mostly a single person before people started to contribute to it, but ya its basically just a mashup of windows server 2000 and unix.

Haiku has also made a lot of headway last i checked with porting software mostly thanks to the porting of QT5 as mentioned before. It runs qutebrowser and falkon decently.

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just found out today about SX-Window, an OS for the X68000 that ran over its DOS, like how early versions of Windows did on PCs.

There's something really wonderful about seeing these old OSes fully decked out with applications and custom wallpapers/sounds. Like it lets you see just how much people could get out of their computers back then despite having weaker hardware.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
Unix based IRIX (1988-2006) from Silicon Graphics that used to be in their (also very cool looking) workstations. IRIX along with the workstations were an industry standard for early 3D/CGI graphics back in the 90s, running software like the first ever version of Blender. Something so cool about imagining working on these, rendering stuff like Toy Story on it. These can actually be emulated on earlier versions of QEMU along with being able to actually run stuff the first ever blender version but the performance is terrible.

1690588631359.png

1690588664619.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6eqgXF2Uk

Virtual Cafe Awards

I-330

certified loon
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
i330.dev
I just noticed that nobody has mentioned Sun Solaris. This shit with the CDE desktop is iconic. I wish the design choices of CDE stuck around, and Sun really did leave a wake with the Solaris OS (which has just become boring server stuff in later years).
cde15solaris9-3390124712.png

Solaris8-cde-2468164384.png

View: https://youtu.be/sJFxwBfFkyM?t=1241

Virtual Cafe Awards