Corporate Memphis - Noodlearm Digital Diversity

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I opened this thread because i want to share my reflection on web design today, The reason, for corporate memphis. Created by the design agent BUCK for the facebook redesign in 2017, Corporate Memphis has the ability to adopt in different shapes of screens without ruining the quality by resizing and allows faster loading times. And is used by startup companies and even big corporations such as Facebook. Are.na users Claire L. Evans and Digital Archive created seperated collections of examples found from around the web. The artstyle is critisized for the minimalism fatigue and the bad porpotions, postures and color pallets. In fact, Solar Sands created a video on Youtube about what does make Alegria annoying and compared it to retro poster illustrations. Which message does the artstyle send, how to beautify the relationship with the technology and job or people are bored to create a good unique art style? Which other art styles could replace the alegria in the foreseeable future?
Also, what do you think of the artstyle?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFb7BOI_QFc

ergrsy6ehc151.jpg

ezgif-5-f18bb04b204d.jpg
ezgif-5-5e0344c9796b.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I hate the wiggly people shit, and I was about to say that I'm glad my product doesn't do any of it, but then I checked our marketing landing site and it's packed to the brim lmoa. Gotta pull that dollar I guess :njWojak:
Makes your website like those new age social media healthy diet and mindfulness tips and editorals posts on fb and ig . As a person studying in tech related field, i prefer to come up with my own styles.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: 4d1

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
このスタイルは一時的なトレンドに過ぎないと思います。ここ日本ではあまり見たことがありません。数年以内に、企業はそれに対する圧倒的な否定的な論評に気づき、ほぼ同じくらい嫌われる他の何かに移るでしょう。

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
Has a corporate art style ever been this hated? I find the idea very funny. We get swept up in nostalgia over other older graphic design, but I feel like nothing but contempt will be held for this. Or are we naive, corporate graphics have always left a sour taste, and in 20 years neo-vaporwave will be packed full of Alegria art as the youth wish for "simpler times".

Virtual Cafe Awards

Merek

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Has a corporate art style ever been this hated? I find the idea very funny. We get swept up in nostalgia over other older graphic design, but I feel like nothing but contempt will be held for this. Or are we naive, corporate graphics have always left a sour taste, and in 20 years neo-vaporwave will be packed full of Alegria art as the youth wish for "simpler times".
Part of the thing that constantly comes up in the whole vapor/retro discussion sphere is how much of all of this is just rose-colored distorted memory and how much is valid. Some jack-offs love to spam every discussion with the claim that it's 100%: "You just like it because being a kid was easier than being an adult!!1!" Completely ignoring that for many people the opposite is true in a lot of ways.

The reality is culture is rotting. That's where this whole "movement" comes from. This isn't distorted nostalgia, it was genuinely better in its previous forms. Somewhere around 2005 things started to decline, and after 08 they fell off a cliff. But the amazing thing is how wide-spread it was. Movies, tv, music, games, the internet, and even just the way people interact with each other.

Corporate Memphis is just another example in that long list, along with the way websites are CONSTANTLY redesigned these days, not to improve them, but just so the worthless trash "designers" they hired can keep their jobs. I don't want things to stay exactly the same forever. That would be stagnation, which is also bad. But change for the sake of change is a symptom of brain rot, and boy do the big tech companies have it bad.

If all that's too much though, let me summarize: no, no one will look back at this with happy memories and yes, of course it's universally hated. No one asked for it, and no one wants it. It was a good produced not for the consumer, but for the circle-jerk of rich fucks at the top of the pyramid.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Redwood

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Now this is just a rumor as far as i know, but i read or heard somewhere that this artstyle was made specifically this way to get into the heads of consumers with the simple, colorful shapes and usually happy emotions on the characters depicted in them, the long limbs probably add to it too

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Now this is just a rumor as far as i know, but i read or heard somewhere that this artstyle was made specifically this way to get into the heads of consumers with the simple, colorful shapes and usually happy emotions on the characters depicted in them, the long limbs probably add to it too
I see on some websites to use different styles.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
It's market psychology, of course they were going a choose a design that was inoffensive, friendly and simple to form an opinion inside the consumer's mind. The problem is that these corporations aren't that good right now on the public eye and their attempt to "look nice, simple, friendly and inoffensive" backfired greatly. Nobody wants friendly companies, people can get to feel the hypocrisy easily.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Part of the thing that constantly comes up in the whole vapor/retro discussion sphere is how much of all of this is just rose-colored distorted memory and how much is valid. Some jack-offs love to spam every discussion with the claim that it's 100%: "You just like it because being a kid was easier than being an adult!!1!" Completely ignoring that for many people the opposite is true in a lot of ways.

The reality is culture is rotting. That's where this whole "movement" comes from. This isn't distorted nostalgia, it was genuinely better in its previous forms. Somewhere around 2005 things started to decline, and after 08 they fell off a cliff. But the amazing thing is how wide-spread it was. Movies, tv, music, games, the internet, and even just the way people interact with each other.

Corporate Memphis is just another example in that long list, along with the way websites are CONSTANTLY redesigned these days, not to improve them, but just so the worthless trash "designers" they hired can keep their jobs. I don't want things to stay exactly the same forever. That would be stagnation, which is also bad. But change for the sake of change is a symptom of brain rot, and boy do the big tech companies have it bad.

If all that's too much though, let me summarize: no, no one will look back at this with happy memories and yes, of course it's universally hated. No one asked for it, and no one wants it. It was a good produced not for the consumer, but for the circle-jerk of rich fucks at the top of the pyramid.
In my opinion it wasn't that it started to decline in 2005, it was declining loooooong before that. However, the decline has become EXPONENTIALLY WORSE as time went on, so even though there was still tons of rot before the mid-2000's, it's simply not noticeable compared to just how much more quickly it's decaying now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards

Webdesign is indeed bloated trash now and I associate these graphics with resource heavy pages filled with trackers. Instead of the intended "happiness" I am filled with dread, because my data is the noodle people's whore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LANDSHARK22

Rubbin' is Racin'
Reaction score
Awards
I opened this thread because i want to share my reflection on web design today, The reason, for corporate memphis. Created by the design agent BUCK for the facebook redesign in 2017, Corporate Memphis has the ability to adopt in different shapes of screens without ruining the quality by resizing and allows faster loading times. And is used by startup companies and even big corporations such as Facebook. Are.na users Claire L. Evans and Digital Archive created seperated collections of examples found from around the web. The artstyle is critisized for the minimalism fatigue and the bad porpotions, postures and color pallets. In fact, Solar Sands created a video on Youtube about what does make Alegria annoying and compared it to retro poster illustrations. Which message does the artstyle send, how to beautify the relationship with the technology and job or people are bored to create a good unique art style? Which other art styles could replace the alegria in the foreseeable future?
Also, what do you think of the artstyle?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFb7BOI_QFc

View attachment 6575
View attachment 6578"View attachment 6579

"SEE GUYS WE ARE NOT A BRAND WE ARE COOL AND ARTSY LIKE YOU, USER 409723"

Virtual Cafe Awards

Merek

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"SEE GUYS WE ARE NOT A BRAND WE ARE COOL AND ARTSY LIKE YOU, USER 409723"
Interestingly, I see Memphis not as another "Greetings fellow kids!" attempt, but the exact opposite. It's openly, wantonly corporate: bland, "inoffensive" (ha), and completely unapologetic. Remember when youtube shifted from personal pages users could customize to the bland, uniform whiteness? This is that same thing. It's a flex. It's the companies saying "yes, we know you hate this, and we're so powerful we can engage in anti-marketing and still be just fine. Suck on that. You WILL be carted off to our grand dystopia, and you WILL be made to enjoy it, Clockwork Orange-style."
In my opinion it wasn't that it started to decline in 2005, it was declining loooooong before that. However, the decline has become EXPONENTIALLY WORSE as time went on, so even though there was still tons of rot before the mid-2000's, it's simply not noticeable compared to just how much more quickly it's decaying now.
Any date is going to be somewhat arbitrary. Elsewhere I've cited the 70s as the turning point, a moment in history where most people's income de-coupled from the ever-faster gdp gains and culture in general started suffering as a result. But yes, the problem has increased exponentially with time, especially since the late 00s, and even more so after the 08 crash.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
This it the most ugly, disgusting art style I think I have ever seen. I hate it and always have. Ever since I saw the first inklings of it creeping into everything, I've thought, "Wtf is this and who cleared this for the final product?"

Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
This art style recently made the jump to 3D, I noticed this on the side of a bus stop:
costa-club-sept-21-buy-4-get-1-free-696x512.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
But yes, the problem has increased exponentially with time, especially since the late 00s, and even more so after the 08 crash.
really I think 2008 showed that nothing was going to change and everyone sort of gave up on believing that the brighter messianic age-esque future envisioned in the 90s was going to arrive after that

I think corporate art style sucks because it's made with the intent to reach out of the screen and say "BUY MY FUCKING MEMBERSHIP FOR MY WEBSITE :)" or informing with the same smile as the last 10000 corpo characters you've seen on all the other websites

but the most insulting bit about this artsyle is seeing youtube or some other company say some bullshit like "uhm if you swear we're going to ban your channel and kill your dog" and seeing some weird, oddly proportioned thing smiling at you below it

Virtual Cafe Awards