Cottagecore? Dark Academia? Other Aesthetic Communities Online and what makes them different from Vaporwave.

Am i the only member here who thinks dark academia is boring reskin?
No. I'd venture that most of the aesthetics listed in the Wiki are in many ways just a rebranding of older, established aesthetics. At best the aesthetics are variations.

I think at some point the discussion of these "aesthetics" became driven more by autism than anything else.

edit: I don't mean the discussion here or in this thread, just most other places on the internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Hypet-Leathel
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.halopedia.org
So I like to consider myself an educated snake, who knows much about the ways of the internet.
On my travels, I have come across many other aesthetic communities who have a very strong following. On the surface, they appear similar to Vaporwave in concept, but they attract different sorts of people with different interests.

For example, you will see people put this or that artist on their Cottagecore playlist, but Cottagecore itself is not a music genre. At least not yet. Vaporwave is primarily defined AS a music genre, so that's one thing that separates it from other Aesthetic communities.

Now, what is Cottagecore and Dark Academia?
Both aesthetics are based around nostalgia, yes, but rather than being based on the latter half of the 20th Century and the rise of the Internet, it's more of a romanticized ideal that they've only really experienced through fictional media like books and TV.

The Aesthetics Wiki defines Cottagecore as thus:
"Cottagecore, also known as farmcore and countrycore, is inspired by a romanticized interpretation of western agricultural life. It is centered on ideas of simple living and harmony with nature. Themes associated with cottagecore include self-sufficiency, baking, and caring for people...The aesthetic is prevalent on several social media sites, such as on Instagram and more recently TikTok, the community notably prospers on Tumblr...The aesthetic is a continuation of many other nature-based aesthetics, but draws the most influence (and is arguably a complete revival) of the romanticization of the English countryside from the Victorian period. Its visuals are based on the domestic lifestyle associated with living in this type of environment, with all images providing a sense of comfort and mild adventure."

I've worked on a farm before, the mystique of the aesthetic is kind of lost when you have to spend hot summer days pulling weeds and spraying pesticides.

Dark Academia is arguably more interesting with its themes:
"Dark academia is a popular academic aesthetic that revolves around classic literature, the pursuit of self-discovery and a general passion for knowledge and learning. It is one of several variations of academia aesthetic, each with a unique subject focus.

Dark academia's visuals stem primarily from upper-class European culture of the 19th century and American Prep. The upper class of this time period emphasized a liberal education in which Latin, rhetoric and classics were taught subjects. These are now seen as unusual and slightly esoteric, creating an allure that presents schooling as not dreary or boring, but one that cultivates people that learn for the sake of joy."

What interests me the most is that they've very recently have become popular online with lots of younger people, and it may be tempting to put Vaporwave in this category, but I feel that it is very separated from that.
Anyone can use the internet, learn to make a website, talk on Vaporwave forums, make music, etc. Yeah, the internet we once knew is gone, but this forum is a lot more accessible for most people than going to a Preppy College or moving to the countryside to be a farmer.

These aesthetics are based on a fantasy of a fantasy of real life. Vaporwave has always felt more real to me, because I can remember all the times I scrolled through websites late at night or walked around malls or stayed up late watching TV in hotel rooms. The mundane and melancholic nature of everyday life, one I have fuzzy memories of. You just don't get that with Dark Academia and Cottagecore, because, well, it's not real and they know it.

You might want to scroll through the wiki, but please leave your thoughts here.
honestly , if there's every such a thing as white supremacy, this aesthetic is it. the problem is that there's collective self interest between the "anti-racist" left, and the "dark academia" liberals, and so i don't think there will be any conflict whatsoever. we'll see tho.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I kinda like the idea of those aesthetics that originated from Tumblr(?) to become new genres.
Recently got into Webcore, and even though it's mostly still a term to describe a specific type of music and aesthetic, I do feel like what's considered "Webcore Music" fits my music style a bit more than vaporwave does. I'm still gonna make vaporwave, but I'm currently working on a new 9:25 am album about Internet Forums, and leaving the vaporwave aspect out of it and thinking more of it as a Webcore album has made the process a little more fun without worrying I'm making something that doesn't fit the genre.

I think Webcore also suits me more because it's a more specific type of nostalgia that also is closer to my age group as I'm a little younger than the vaporwave generation and haven't felt as much nostalgia with the 80s music as most artists do.

It does have some potential imo, this could branch out and become its own genre just like Dreampunk did.

Here is a video about Webcore and some playlists with Webcore Music:

Virtual Cafe Awards