Cultural changes you've noticed in your lifetime

Virtual Cafe Awards
it is more of meme(tic virulence)
post-2013 slackerism is more of slacktivism - is the practice of supporting a political or social cause by means such as social media or online petitions, characterized as involving very little effort or commitment. Wikipedia; Halfhearted activism, usually in the form of posting badges, images, apps, or text on social media without taking further action. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism . Various people and groups express doubts about the value and effectiveness of slacktivism. Particularly, some skeptics argue that it entails an underlying assumption that all problems can be seamlessly fixed using social media, and while this may be true for local issues, slacktivism could prove ineffective for solving global predicaments.[14]... Micah White has argued that although slacktivism is typically the easiest route to participation in movements and changes, the novelty of online activism wears off as people begin to realize that their participation created virtually no effect, leading people to lose hope in all forms of activism.[16] > A 2011 study looking at college students found only a small positive correlation between those who engage online in politics on Facebook with those who engage off of it. Those who did engage only did so by posting comments and other low forms of political participation, helping to confirm the slacktivism theoretical model.[18]

See also​

40px-Wiktionary-logo-en-v2.svg.png

Look up slacktivism in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Virtual Cafe Awards

【diet deity】

out back of Winkie's (Sunset Blvd)
Reaction score
Awards
Your post also reminds me of how unerringly backwards looking culture is these days. Rejigging dated styles, peddling the same old genres for decades, harking back to past eras, has there ever been a culture so obsessed with the recent past? It's all very odd.
this thing you wrote really struck me. I remember noticing it as a teenager, how fads seemed to be cycling through stereotyped previous decades. I remember wondering, "what's our decade going to be mocked for?" being totally unable to characterize our own decade. Yet now, when I sniff nostalgia from *that period*, it simply reminds me of the trends I noticed back then.

I'm reminded of that "demyoralization" "ex-KGB" journalist (Bezmenov), and of 1984 - the idea that "the goal" is to paralyze history, turn it into a cuckoo clock that seems to do new things in the eyes of new generations, yet inwardly follows a perpetual lockstep; churning up just enough information to appear like a living thing, but really, being more of a petri-dish culture oscillating through the same variables over and over again.

was it always this way? or is this digital life? I'd never thought of these questions until grandparents passed away, and now the only sources I can interrogate are reached via the very technology I'm suspicious of.

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
People dressing way too casually. This trend has gone into overdrive since the pandemic. It seems like way more people go out in public these days wearing sweatpants, baggie hoodies, pajama pants, basketball shorts, slides, Shit like that. You see way less people wearing formal business attire or even business casual these days too.

In the 2000s I remember a lot more people wearing blue jeans, even now it feels like they are becoming a less common sight, even though its practically our national attire here in the US. I almost feel dressed up going to my uni classes wearing jeans with a tucked in button down, cause no one even dresses like that anymore except older people.

I recently had to attend the funeral of a relative and it actually upset me that some people showed up wearing shorts and T-shirts. Like show some decorum. You really can't be bothered to dress nice to the funeral of someone you've known for decades? I don't know, maybe just too nit picky, its something that just kind of irks me I guess.

Virtual Cafe Awards

2bias

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
In the 2000s I remember a lot more people wearing blue jeans, even now it feels like they are becoming a less common sight, even though its practically our national attire here in the US. I almost feel dressed up going to my uni classes wearing jeans with a tucked in button down, cause no one even dresses like that anymore except older people.

in my lifetime i've gone from dressing like a disgusting bum to being the most well dressed person in a lot of public settings. my clothes never changed (jeans, un-tucked button downs, collared t-shirts) but everyone else has. i think a big part of it is becoming un-criticizable. there was such a strong rebound from public displays of effort (subculture costumes, sincerity, unironic enjoyment). people would rather be able to say "i'm not even trying" or "this isn't the real me". anything is better than being perceived as a cringy try-hard. wearing a graphic tee? it better be something ironic or self deprecating. god forbid you ever try to look nice or express yourself honestly. someone might actually perceive you.

on the other hand, slob clothes are comfy as fuck and maybe i should just give in
:LeDoritoFace:

Virtual Cafe Awards

gardenAgnostic

Winner of the Chronically Online Contest
Reaction score
Awards
i'm on the younger side compared to most people here, but i think i can list some things off the top of my head, y'know, if you want the inside scoop of how most teenagers are like.

for one, i've noticed a lot of my peers don't know about popular memes from like a couple of years prior. like, there's these girls that sit next to me in english class that don't know about the zootopia abortion comic. oh and they also don't know about the internet archive which i personally find a lot weirder.

secondly, while i'm not in the gen alpha age range, a lot of classmates in my grade do in fact, say skibidi gyatt and shit, no clue if that's ironic or not though, since everyone makes fun of it.

also everyone uses popular social media, which idk how to feel about, it makes me feel cool, like im not like the others, but at the same time, i do have social media, though it's just tumblr (and discord, if you'd call it that.)

one thing i personally like is that the internet is way more accepting of people outside of the cis-het neurotypical white man, as im multiple minorities, so that's...cool I guess. another thing is that despite that, teenagers still say slurs.

oh and also idk how ppl will be nostalgic for the 2020s lawl

McGovern '72!

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think I'm a lot younger than a lot of the users here— I was too late to the party to witness 9/11— but shit, man, I got a lot. I grew up in a pretty liberal area— suburbanite liberal, that is, the type that would've voted for Nixon and Reagan and maybe even Bush but not out of agreement with his extremist religious values but his pragmatic economic policy (throwing every homeless man woman and child into a meat grinder). And, not to get too "le political", it's been interesting seeing the bourgeois Hillary libs merge with the Bernie type of libs following the recent election. Nowadays Tumblrinas are saying 'faggot' and working class wannabe union men will call you out for saying 'faggot'.

This wouldn't have too much impact on daily life, except in my area political and social life have merged, to an extent. You either join the libshart crowd or fall in with the pseudo-redneck assholes (who are all middle class and live in suburbs; their only personality trait is driving shitty trucks really poorly.) Then the merger of the libs becomes a problem, because 90% of people fall into that category, and because now all of liberalism is under the domain of Tumblr shitfucks it's subject to the same, if more lenient, ostracization rules as Tumblr shitfuckery. In schools this results in entire tables of autistic kids who aren't quite sped forced to sit alone because they don't conform to the bigger socius— and god forbid you're a schizo type of faggot.

TLDR Chez moi, social groups have tightened and ostracization is more impactful now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ashman

Traversing the electro-astral realm
Reaction score
Awards
Website
deurachavich.moe
Internet meme culture really bled into the real world, got classmates reciting the meme of the week (I think, I live under a rock). People are also really political these days.
Anime has become truely mainstream (albiet I remain the only one who likes Moe).
I don't really interact with people so I can't accurartely tell.

Virtual Cafe Awards