• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Current state of Akihabara

digital-man

Index
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vidlii.com
It seems like a lot of arcades are closing.
Most of the big advertisement boards are about mobile games, V-tubers or some rushed animation.
Because of the dead of portable consoles you don't see much people playing together like before, TCG and Fighting Games communities seem pretty active tho.

Stores of the Junk Street doesn't have changed much imo, so that's a relief.

I know that time passes by and things change but... Why to the worse?

Like I usually say, maybe I'm wrong, I wanna hear your opinions about this topic.

I'll link a 2005 documentary about Akihabara, I have found it pretty aesthetic:

Virtual Cafe Awards
Akiba's been dead for a while. I first came here in 2017, and it was exactly as you described even then. That said, if you know the right people they can show you the handful of places still worth going to in Akiba. But 90% of it is just a tourist trap.

That documentary's pretty cool though (interesting to see Ryukishi07 when he wasn't quite as famous as he is now), thanks for sharing. I wish I could have seen Japan in the 90s and 00s. Here's a 2002 Documentary on Tokyo that I also particularly like:

View: https://youtu.be/ga6ZwfsS1cA

Virtual Cafe Awards

digital-man

Index
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vidlii.com
Akiba's been dead for a while. I first came here in 2017, and it was exactly as you described even then. That said, if you know the right people they can show you the handful of places still worth going to in Akiba. But 90% of it is just a tourist trap.

That documentary's pretty cool though (interesting to see Ryukishi07 when he wasn't quite as famous as he is now), thanks for sharing. I wish I could have seen Japan in the 90s and 00s. Here's a 2002 Documentary on Tokyo that I also particularly like:

View: https://youtu.be/ga6ZwfsS1cA

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and the documentary ^^

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I will be there next year and then have a look.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not an expert on this obviously because I'm not an 11 but I've heard that Akihabara hasn't been the best spot for otakus in years? It's become an overpriced tourist trap for weebs while real otaku have migrated to other places.

Virtual Cafe Awards

digital-man

Index
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vidlii.com
I'm not an expert on this obviously because I'm not an 11 but I've heard that Akihabara hasn't been the best spot for otakus in years? It's become an overpriced tourist trap for weebs while real otaku have migrated to other places.
Do you (or someone) have information about those other places? Thank you for the information! ^^

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I thought Japan was futuristic country as portrayed by media until i saw how japanese technology industry is declining due to the prevailance of Chinese technology, companies closing whole departments like Sony with mobiles, toshiba with laptops. The days of glory are gone. Not to mention the high numbers of suicide and marriage, the taboo topic of mental health.
Does Akihabara sell good quality technology or it isn't different from a shop selling chinese cheap junk? Now we don't look for quality in shops like Wish and Amazon. Glad the video game industry is somehow alive.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Do you (or someone) have information about those other places? Thank you for the information! ^^
Just quote/tag lainishere from their post earlier in this thread, they seem to know more than me. The places most people say are good are Nakano and Osu, but I haven't been to Tokyo since quite a bit before the WuFlu so it might be different now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I will be there next year and then have a look.
Andy Kaufman, hit me up if you do make it here. I've always wanted to meet a moviestar. For real though, I wouldn't mind getting drinks at a dingy izakaya with some of you irl

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Andy Kaufman, hit me up if you do make it here. I've always wanted to meet a moviestar. For real though, I wouldn't mind getting drinks at a dingy izakaya with some of you irl
Sounds like a hoot.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
If you're a local and can show me (and my friend) some stuff normie tourists would otherwise miss that'd be great. We've been planning this trip for years now (including saving money) so we will go for 6 weeks next year. Tokyo, Kyoto and whatever we can find in the countryside. He's been learning Japanese for a while now, I quit after a year because Kanji.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I'm now opening bets on who will get murdered at the IRL Agora meet up in Tokyo 2023. Best odds guaranteed, PM to place your choice! Remember: if you don't play, you can't win.
Depends on who attends.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
If you're a local and can show me (and my friend) some stuff normie tourists would otherwise miss that'd be great. We've been planning this trip for years now (including saving money) so we will go for 6 weeks next year. Tokyo, Kyoto and whatever we can find in the countryside. He's been learning Japanese for a while now, I quit after a year because Kanji.
I'd be glad to show you around if you're in the Kinki cities

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Depends on who attends.
Right now we have Andy Kaufman, lainishere and Andy's friend. Free to sign up for the meetup, but do it soon so I can add you to the roster

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm now opening bets on who will get murdered at the IRL Agora meet up in Tokyo 2023. Best odds guaranteed, PM to place your choice! Remember: if you don't play, you can't win.
You're invited too :3

I'm white as mayonnaise (not literally but you get the point), but I've been here for several years and and do know some cool places. Unfortunately half of them closed because of Rona, so I've been on a quest recently to find replacements

I'd be glad to show you around if you're in the Kinki cities
Are you also in the land of the it's dark by 7pm even in mid summer?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Lol the Agora meetup in Nipland. That will be intersting.
I've met complete strangers alone form way darker places in the net and I'm still alive. Maybe just naive and lucky but I've made friends this way before.

I'm white as mayonnaise (not literally but you get the point), but I've been here for several years and and do know some cool places. Unfortunately half of them closed because of Rona, so I've been on a quest recently to find replacements
Hopefully things will resolve until March-May 2023 (that's when we intend to go). And yeah that's local enough for me :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I've met complete strangers alone form way darker places in the net and I'm still alive. Maybe just naive and lucky but I've made friends this way before.
so you're admitting that you're the one who murders people at the meetup?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards