Custom websites with No CSS a tool for decentralization of the internet or a shiny bauble for nerds.

I saw an alarming trend of CSS-less websites. I can understand not wanting to have a website with Javascript, but a website with CSS could actually make it easier for other people to use the website.

CSS isnt even that heavy, and can make a great difference between a static HTML only website and something that looks really amazing with just a small bit of CSS. Plus CSS is bundled with every browser, and works almost equally across all browsers. Even crappy ones like IE9.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Nobody can give you the fire, they can only show you to the door, you have to walk through and grab it yourself. You need to decide for yourself that its a worthy goal to grab it, and to have discipline to stay on the path. If you are the type to be part of the pack, and swayed by the pack mentality, then you probably arent curious enough to poke around with computers.

Everyone with at least a middling interest in computers is probably already messing with computers, about to, or has completed their desired goals. They are not the type to be swayed by randos on the internet demanding CSS.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I disagree and i want people to realise not everyone is tech sawy or cares about "readability" (which is bullshit btw). Most people with readable stuff aren't tech savy nowadays, we need these types of people on the internet soo we can have a decentralised source of knowledge but they don't have shiny shiny for ADHD ridden youth. I consider readability and formatting is important but for these you don't need to do css at all, html works just fine.
Also there is the idea that all internet websites should be readen in browsers which is bullshit, i sometimes just copy paste websites into vim or turn them into pdfs BECAUSE these websites are written with the bare minimum! pure text is a great way to write websites and i encourage html only websites with knowledge or pure bullshit on internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Is CSS good? Yes. Should we use CSS? Yes. Should CSS eventually be implemented on your website? Maybe.

I think that, at base level, beyond any other detail or preference that can be argued, first and foremost, people interested in the internet should create websites. I think decentralization is more powerful than any corporation and that it allows greater creative fluidity than any other thing you can do with the internet. Centralization will always head towards the center and decentralization will always expand outwards. This is why, above good looking, well compiled, well coded, and well organized websites, we must absolutely focus on, first, creating a space and mindset that allows for decentralization.

Many people are NPC's, yes, but many people can be freed from the Matrix. It is, of course, anecdotal, but I have doubts that a study on this exact finding has been done. I find, more often than not, that normie NPC sheep I meet, befriend, get to know, and begin to understand, always tend to have at least 1 interest they repress because of societal normalization. I believe most people are not as much of an NPC as you may think. Rather, we are born into, immersed by, and eventually overwhelmingly brainwashed by societal conformity and norms. This does not mean, though, that we have slashed away the complex subconscious of a majority of people, let alone more than we may imagine.

I myself teetered between NPC-hood and free expression. At every turn in my life I was scolded for not acting normally, for wanting different things than others and for thinking differently. At times I would suppress myself to fit in. This has allowed me to understand and bring NPC's out of the Matrix in a slow and gentle process, quietly decoding the encryption put on their brain. I have had many normie friends who had unique interests, but were scared of the backlash about being open about these interests. Through my interest in their unique hobby and my presence as a sort of backup to their morale, I have known many people who eventually shed their programming to some point and became open hobbyists.

This is why shitty sites should exist. It can be a starting point for someone. They could look at it and go, "Wow, well, that doesn't look too hard. Shit, I could do better than that!". Seeing these examples of "bad" websites can be "good" for people who have not yet ventured into the realm of web design. It can be a starting point, a place to ignite the flame of interest. Something triggered the birth of every one of your interests and a badly made, poorly formatted website might be just the thing to ignite the flame of creation in somebody else.

Now, this may seem unrelated as it is a remnant of a chat conversation, but Pangolin will understand.

So, I think rejecting someone's website for not using CSS is very shallow. I think that people should make bad websites. Ugly websites. Horrendous, stroke-inducing amalgamations. If that's what they want to do, or if that's all they can do, because they are doing one of two things:
• Expressing themselves
• Learning to build a website

If it is the first, I would never dare cut down their creativity by forcing them to use CSS. If their plan was to build a website without CSS, let them. You can not like how it looks, sure, feel free to. But what if making it ugly was their intention? What if they want you to look at it and go, "God, what an aesthetic nightmare", because that is the greatness that is the freedom of the decentralized internet.

If it is the second, well, perhaps you should reach out to them instead of criticizing their work somewhere they may never see it. Perhaps they don't know how to implement CSS. Did you the first time you turned on a computer? If you have experience with CSS, why not reach out with suggestions or see if they need a helping hand? What is complaining about it on a backwater forum going to do? Centralize you to the websites you use? Oof.

We should be refining the model used by Web1.0, not shitting on people for going back to the basics. We have to start somewhere, and end somewhere, and maybe that website without CSS is its beginning or end.

Edited to be more concise.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
We were using CSS on slow internet and it was far less of a nuisance than
>uncompressed images
>iframes
>too many dancing gifs
>autoplay music (I HATE THIS CAME BACK JESUS FUCK)

iframes are fine now btw

Now I just get pissed off by 3rd party tracking, "PLEEEEEEASE USE OUR COOKIES TO USE THE SITE," and every site being made for mobile and looking ugly as sin
at least make mobile/desktop alternates. Oh, and autoplay music and a gorillion gifs that still doesn't even encompass geoshitties spirit right

>So, I think rejecting someone's website for not using CSS is very shallow.
GIT GUD it's literally the next step after basic HTML and tables/divs

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
>uncompressed images
>iframes
>too many dancing gifs

Its fine to have your opinions. What if I want to incorporate all of those on my website?

Now I just get pissed off by 3rd party tracking, "PLEEEEEEASE USE OUR COOKIES TO USE THE SITE," and every site being made for mobile and looking ugly as sin
at least make mobile/desktop alternates.

Cookies are annoying, sure. Are they necessary on every website? No. Do they serve a purpose? Yes.

Oh, and autoplay music and a gorillion gifs that still doesn't even encompass geoshitties spirit right

Again, its fine to have your opinions. Others will make websites as they see fit. Also, can you tell me what the correct "geoshitties spirit" is?

Your point is?

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
Its fine to have your opinions. What if I want to incorporate all of those on my website?

Cookies are annoying, sure. Are they necessary on every website? No. Do they serve a purpose? Yes.

Again, its fine to have your opinions. Others will make websites as they see fit. Also, can you tell me what the correct "geoshitties spirit" is?

Your point is?

1. Incorporate it in your website. Who cares if I don't like it? I have as much freedom to think someone's website looks like ass as they have to make it. And me thinking so shouldn't stop them. lmao.
2. They're usually packaged with trackers. If I need cookies to browse a site I don't log into that's a red flag and I leave.
3. A lot less spam of personal profiles and a lot more intense nerdery-- research even-- for a specific subject/hobby/obsession and shareable resources, for website making or otherwise. As much as I hate autoplay the free midi sites were really bomb for doing that. However modern web has kind of eliminated the need for that stuff.
4. congrats everyone who made their first website now git gud and learn css and expand your skills. ~*if you want to*~

ez

Virtual Cafe Awards

SeketMeto

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Most people who want to make their internet home without worrying about styling are moving to the Gemini protocol which still allows a nice user experience because you write your files in markdown.

It's super hard to read a HTML page with 0 CSS, and it's really not complicated to learn basic CSS along with html (at least, color, background color and font-size) to make it look at least better than a text file. Otherwise, why not just upload an actual bloody text file?

That being said, it can certainly be a form of expression to make a point and one way or another I've got nothing against it.

EDIT: oops, the end disappeared. I also said "But I can't believe anybody actually makes a css-free website because of a lack of skill or even lazyness."

Virtual Cafe Awards
at least make mobile/desktop alternates. Oh, and autoplay music and a gorillion gifs that still doesn't even encompass geoshitties spirit right

This. Ever since the new privacy laws came in 2017-ish, cookie walls have become more annoying as every big site has them now. And the usually pop up after you're already reading the site instead of immediately.
__
CSS is just a style tool, you can go crazy with it if course, but it's simply just a tool to paint your digital canvas with colours, fonts, sizes, etc.

I think sites should become more responsive for a better readability, which ironically requires CSS.

Virtual Cafe Awards
i don't know anything about css but want to contirbute with a bump.
Thanks for the support. Much appreciate. Finally getting to this thread after getting my lazy ass ready for it.
I disagree and i want people to realise not everyone is tech sawy or cares about "readability" (which is bullshit btw). Most people with readable stuff aren't tech savy nowadays, we need these types of people on the internet soo we can have a decentralised source of knowledge but they don't have shiny shiny for ADHD ridden youth. I consider readability and formatting is important but for these you don't need to do css at all, html works just fine.
Also there is the idea that all internet websites should be readen in browsers which is bullshit, i sometimes just copy paste websites into vim or turn them into pdfs BECAUSE these websites are written with the bare minimum! pure text is a great way to write websites and i encourage html only websites with knowledge or pure bullshit on internet.
I think adding CSS to websites can only improve upon the intended message, but only if the CSS is applied intelligently to a good HTML base. While websites can be CSS-less, they should not be CSS-less if they can help it. CSS does not detract from the message, but is still important for a quality website. A small amount of CSS will not add too much shiny for the ADHD fone-addicted youth, but will provide a meaningful benefit to the content.

Some content is styled much more effectively via the use of careful and intelligent CSS use. HTML does indeed work fine on its own, but CSS can provide styling benefits to make a nice looking website. Do people even want to read HTML only websites?

Finally, CSS is an integral part of the web whether you like it or not. It does not detract from the messaging unless used carelessly, and you are still able to download the HTML to your heart's content. Websites should be indeed read in browsers or similar tools that process the markup correctly. Why should your PDFs or VIMs have issues with the content if all you want is the HTML?

We can still have a decentralized source of knowledge on the internet, and HTML + CSS provide a sufficient base for the distribution of knowledge. It will not impede anyone to know, or use any CSS to make a nicer looking website. Javascript is where I draw the line as too much.
Is CSS good? Yes. Should we use CSS? Yes. Should CSS eventually be implemented on your website? Maybe.

I think that, at base level, beyond any other detail or preference that can be argued, first and foremost, people interested in the internet should create websites. I think decentralization is more powerful than any corporation and that it allows greater creative fluidity than any other thing you can do with the internet. Centralization will always head towards the center and decentralization will always expand outwards. This is why, above good looking, well compiled, well coded, and well organized websites, we must absolutely focus on, first, creating a space and mindset that allows for decentralization.

Many people are NPC's, yes, but many people can be freed from the Matrix. It is, of course, anecdotal, but I have doubts that a study on this exact finding has been done. I find, more often than not, that normie NPC sheep I meet, befriend, get to know, and begin to understand, always tend to have at least 1 interest they repress because of societal normalization. I believe most people are not as much of an NPC as you may think. Rather, we are born into, immersed by, and eventually overwhelmingly brainwashed by societal conformity and norms. This does not mean, though, that we have slashed away the complex subconscious of a majority of people, let alone more than we may imagine.

I myself teetered between NPC-hood and free expression. At every turn in my life I was scolded for not acting normally, for wanting different things than others and for thinking differently. At times I would suppress myself to fit in. This has allowed me to understand and bring NPC's out of the Matrix in a slow and gentle process, quietly decoding the encryption put on their brain. I have had many normie friends who had unique interests, but were scared of the backlash about being open about these interests. Through my interest in their unique hobby and my presence as a sort of backup to their morale, I have known many people who eventually shed their programming to some point and became open hobbyists.

This is why shitty sites should exist. It can be a starting point for someone. They could look at it and go, "Wow, well, that doesn't look too hard. Shit, I could do better than that!". Seeing these examples of "bad" websites can be "good" for people who have not yet ventured into the realm of web design. It can be a starting point, a place to ignite the flame of interest. Something triggered the birth of every one of your interests and a badly made, poorly formatted website might be just the thing to ignite the flame of creation in somebody else.

Now, this may seem unrelated as it is a remnant of a chat conversation, but Pangolin will understand.

So, I think rejecting someone's website for not using CSS is very shallow. I think that people should make bad websites. Ugly websites. Horrendous, stroke-inducing amalgamations. If that's what they want to do, or if that's all they can do, because they are doing one of two things:
• Expressing themselves

If it is the first, I would never dare cut down their creativity by forcing them to use CSS. If their plan was to build a website without CSS, let them. You can not like how it looks, sure, feel free to. But what if making it ugly was their intention? What if they want you to look at it and go, "God, what an aesthetic nightmare", because that is the greatness that is the freedom of the decentralized internet.

If it is the second, well, perhaps you should reach out to them instead of criticizing their work somewhere they may never see it. Perhaps they don't know how to implement CSS. Did you the first time you turned on a computer? If you have experience with CSS, why not reach out with suggestions or see if they need a helping hand? What is complaining about it on a backwater forum going to do? Centralize you to the websites you use? Oof.

We should be refining the model used by Web1.0, not shitting on people for going back to the basics. We have to start somewhere, and end somewhere, and maybe that website without CSS is its beginning or end.

First off, I think your poast was well written and thoroughly thought out.

Respectfully, I partially disagree. While your approach may help those who repress themselves into fitting in and thus qualify as a normie, the true maverick will break with the current mainstream dogma and go their own way. They are not bound by the rules of society, instead they are unrestrained, free, and have the energy and willpower to both ignore the masses and to rise above.

The internet cowboy couldn't care any less what society thinks and behaves accordingly both on and off the net. It's these kinds of free thinking radicals that write their own websites, buy their domains, and etch for themselves a place on the net. They don't care what someone on a backwater forum posts, nor does the thought cross their minds to check with the populars if their website is okay with them.

Even if they are indeed a normie, the normie status may not apply online. On the net people often behave like complete asses thanks to the safety and security of anonymity. The net is where several of these normies will display their repressed interests. You've seen the people on twitter and plebbit that behave like complete venomous rattlesnakes thanks to the safety of anonymity. The normie probably appreciates and relishes the anonymity of the net, for it provides a safe environment to securely pursue their interests. Some normies, I could imagine that they would need some coaxing and deprogramming to escape normie status. I think deprogramming them, while fruitful and rewarding, is probably not the right way to go due to the time expense. The issue is where does the programming that causes them to repress and hide inside of a protective shell of normie-hood actually get set into them? Perhaps it is the public school system which encourages conformity and punishes those who are different. Conformity is safety in the assembly line of public education.

While shitty sites should exist, they should not be the end destination unless that is the true goal. If that is the goal, anyone can learn thanks to the easy availability and proliferation of L2C(Learn to code) websites. CSS is a valid and integral part of the web, whereas basic HTML can be learned in under an hour through meticulous copy pasting. Advanced HTML would take the better part of a day, perhaps, depending on the individual. Learning CSS is definitely on the agenda of most, if not all new web developers. I would venture two cans of bepis that the websites out there that exist as pure HTML are there via a conscious decision of the author. Perhaps as a statement, neglect, or a desire for simplicity.

I will concede that centralization of the net is a significant drag on the net as a whole, but the link between whether someone will actually receive inspiration from a lousy website is tenuous at best. I doubt you have any actual evidence, or anecdotes(a type of evidence), that would point to that behavior. If anything, many developers start their journey via someone else who ignites their passion for computing. A kind friend, or some cool individual on the net who demonstrates a sweet demo. What triggered my own dive into computing was a teacher in public education, they bridged the gap between the mysterious and intractable computer and gave me the skills and desire to continue with computing. All we did was fool around on the computer doing dumb stuff like photoshop, but it definitely gave me the impetus to eventually obtain a career in computing.

I doubt that the existence of bad websites is really a significant driver of conversions into computing experts. Barring the assumption that modern search engines will even deliver a bad website to the open net, I think a better driver of conversion is plain old human contact. Someone who shares their interests in a particular topic that demonstrates skillful use, is far more likely to win converts at a higher rate over someone's random website out in the wilds of the net where the search crawlers don't roam. There exists a decentralized web out there, just outside of reach of most humans thanks to SEO(search engine optimization). It's certainly not as large as the centralized net, but I point to the neutering of search engines as the primary reason for the centralization. The average normie isn't going to use an indie search engine because the search results are not to their taste. "Doesn't return good search results" they say.

If their full intention was indeed to express themselves via a website without CSS, I am powerless to influence them in any way. They have made a clear conscious choice to build it without CSS. In all likelihood their goal was to create a simple and straightforward website. If their goal is to express themselves, I think they are probably not concerned with opinions anywhere. If their intention was to learn, I doubt they'd actually have a website out on the net until they learned the basics and also learned how to get a site hosted. To spend money on a domains and hosting to develop lousy websites is probably not the traditional path. Especially when you consider that they can test a website locally on their own browser at no cost. My policy when encountering a website that is CSS-less is to note how the website looks horrendous, probably, and note that they probably decided to go CSS-less not out of lack of skill, but of a deliberate choice.

I think we should encourage a decentralization by spreading far and wide the gospel of web development. It is by human contact that people will become emboldened to write their own websites no matter how lousy they are. Maybe a tutorial or two in this forum might get the ball rolling for the curious. Perhaps a brave few will venture further and actually get their websites hosted on the open net. The knowledge is out there, it just takes someone to bridge the gap for them and give them a fighting chance. Those who decide to forge their own path don't need as much encouragement.

>uncompressed images
>iframes
>too many dancing gifs

iframes are fine now btw

CSS isn't even particularly heavy, but I assume it might've been a little heavy for the early computers. I don't exactly know.

The use of CSS depends on the author of the website and how wisely they use the framework. If anything, I think the modern web has become far too bloated with half-cooked features and tools. Particularly egregious is the use of auto-play and cookies. Nobody likes auto-play, and nobody likes all the cookie-beg popups.

There are some tools out there(gemini) that aim to return to a smaller faster web, but lack styling from CSS to really make the feature set an attractive proposition over HTML+CSS. I think a new framework should exist that distills the kludge that is the modern web into something fast, efficient, yet customizable.

Primarily, there needs to be a way to represent on screen content in a simple way via components that have styling, interactions like clicks, and interactions with other components ie child parent. Combine that with services that provide a rich feature set to interact with a modernized HTTP that strips away a lot of the accumulated cruft of 30-40 years.

Maybe just have it as a "web component" with a particular type from a constants file.
Most people who want to make their internet home without worrying about styling are moving to the Gemini protocol which still allows a nice user experience because you write your files in markdown.

It's super hard to read a HTML page with 0 CSS, and it's really not complicated to learn basic CSS along with html (at least, color, background color and font-size) to make it look at least better than a text file. Otherwise, why not just upload an actual bloody text file?

That being said, it can certainly be a form of expression to make a point and one way or another I've got nothing against it.

EDIT: oops, the end disappeared. I also said "But I can't believe anybody actually makes a css-free website because of a lack of skill or even lazyness."
I think the gemini protocol needs to be cooked a little further before it can be considered viable and a serious competitor to the default Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. Assuming that they want to compete against HTTP at all. In particular it should support styling, not just a restrictive set of markdown. At this point it is nothing but an experimental toy with browsers that are just as experimental.

I don't have the time because of other commitments, but I have it planned for 2024+ to move in on those nerds and embrace extend endkindle the software into based GPL2 mainly by extending the feature set, providing styling, and finally banning Javascript and other scripts. In other words, make it a viable competitor against HTTP. I will need help, but they will show up on their own in due time.
Modern css goes hard, you really can use css in place of javascript, I swear more devs should.

llillilll your link is broken, git IPFS

Only chuds still use javascript. Javascript was a mistake and is a severe blight upon the internet. Its a disease which consumes and infects the internet. Originally deemed a suitable software to help script the net via open source software to share and distribute, obfuscators and the like make it difficult and time consuming to investigate the inner workings of websites. It is faster to just write your own copy than to share a copy from someone else.

Instead of liberating the net to create and distribute knowledge, javascript has become the albatross around the neck of the net. Javascript stifles creativity via a degenerate mosaic of ill conceived frameworks that seek to paper over the cancerous mess that is Javascript by creating a more palatable environment for the software engineers of the net. Every website is a copy of the previous through the use of "best practices" that continuously degrade the experience of the web into something phone poasters can handle.

Don't get me started on web frameworks upon web frameworks. The modern web is written as a castle in the sky resting on a bed of clouds of javashit. Worse still Javascript has enabled the proliferation of bottom tier low-quality "web developers". These "web developers" are well compensated professionals that are contracted to provide a human interface to the mess that is web development. The bottom echelon of web developers lack any skill or talent and survive by copy pasting frameworks on top of frameworks and hacking the mess together until it functions as a somewhat coherent mess that only partially errors out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

xXzoomerXx

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

• Expressing themselves

shitty websites > square space type websites

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Is this still a thing or was it just a fad? The idea of actually having a static HTML website reminds me of those Linux redditors whose home desktop has a black terminal with green characters raining down like the Matrix. It feels like some kind of l33t posing.
But please do throw out JavaScript.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Is this still a thing or was it just a fad? The idea of actually having a static HTML website reminds me of those Linux redditors whose home desktop has a black terminal with green characters raining down like the Matrix. It feels like some kind of l33t posing.
I have seen some enthusiast for Gemini and minimalistic web design in the last month or so but it's probably like 10 people at best.

I doubt there are many hardcore "html-only suprematists" out there, most people seems to just play with the idea for experimental and intellectual purposes.

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
I read this page a while back about the history of personal web pages, mostly for college professors. Several of the links are dead now, but there are still enough up to find a good number of html-only web pages http://contemporary-home-computing.org/prof-dr-style/. It's a pretty fun read, with a lot of real-world examples, not just old-school enthusiasts trying to make a point.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i found this website(not really found, i remembered it)
most of the websites don't have css along with js, check it out plebs. It will make your realise css isn't needed for a good websites.
Laughs in Japanese yahoo website

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
only takes 58 bytes to make your site not look fugly.

Honestly it's just inconsiderate to the reader to rawdog them with just html

Virtual Cafe Awards