Reply to thread

Macintosh Cafe.FM
Help Users
  • (Guest) Midnightmadness:
    So I am walking a well treaded path I guess XD
    Quote Link
    BobbyTrivia said:
    tbh i just feel the need to scream from the mountaintops, "your music does not have to be anti-consumerism to be considered vaporwave"
    So considering that, do you think there a parameters for vaporwave? It is just remixing pop culture from the 80s and 90s or an outlook to making art?
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    I view it more of the nostalgia aspect
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    Like Y2K stuff is emerging now and I can see new vaporwave artists sampling early 2000's music too
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    yeah i could see that. I was drawn to vaporwave originally for the nostalgia, and I enjoy the political commentary aspect but I don't think it's required
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    or it can have other political messages, but I think because of the source material it will often find itself critiquing or commenting on consumerism
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    i don't think it's really possible to stick vaporwave in a box now
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    tbh it's like, eccojams and floral shoppe that are like, "yeah that's the 'pure' vaporwave" for me, and anything past that ends up breaking so many of those "vapor rules" that you might as well just have vapor be whatever the hell you want
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    this gets said a lot but like, what the hell is I'll Try Living Like This, really? and even HKE's discography; start from the beginning and compare it to other "vaporwave" -- it's hard to say it's the same genre if you define vaporwave so narrowly. i think the definition has to be super broad
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    blank banshee gets brought up a lot. if that's vaporwave, and 2814 is vaporwave, and eccojams is vaporwave....that's a really broad definition
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    @aesthu that's what i mean, really. i say this a lot but, what draws a whole slew of people to vapor is nostalgia for their consumerism of the past. they aren't critiquing it, they aren't wishing it never happened, they aren't upset about it; they're nostalgic for it. they miss it.
    Quote Link
    Hmm, I see, and I know I have heard people dislike that categorizing quality too. Do you think changes in technology make outdated mediums basically fair means for vaporwave? For instance, could iPhone 4-based vaporwave make sense or is that still too soon.
    Quote Link
    Or I guess Far Side Virtual is kind of like what I said
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    that's gunna change from person to person. there's an argument thread on here with a few people legitimately arguing that "if there's anime in it, it's not vaporwave." i think they're wrong, but they would probably say something "as new" as the iphone 4 doesn't qualify as vapor
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/fuck-aesthetic.3121/ give the thread a read if you'd like. you may get something out of it
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    you'll have to translate vaporwavemaster1's responses just fyi
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    if you see my post comparing vaporwave to industrial, i think that summarizes my thoughts about how to define vaporwave
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    Lol and there is some shit throwing in that thread too :kekCaught:
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    good thread on the topic
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
    @BobbyTrivia Hm, yeah that makes sense. There's something beautiful I think about capturing that nostalgia for consumerism and then also those criticizing it within vaporwave. It's capturing this full spectrum of reflections on the rapid changes in society today I think.
    Quote Link
    Late response to the original post but still
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    yeah i mean
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    I liked the anonymity with it, and the piracy angle it had
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    with industrial, Ministry is very openly on one side of the political spectrum, and then you have bands like Funker Vogt that create "openly fascist" industrial. it's hard to say, are the members actually fascist? i think a better question is, does it matter? in any case, both sound totally different from eachother, and showcase a polar-opposite side of the political spectrum, but they're still both "real industrial." i suppose i view vaporwave in the same light
    Quote Link
    BobbyTrivia: with industrial, Ministry is very openly on one side of the political spectrum, and then you...