What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

This is the submission thread for the 2nd E-zine! Please use the dropbox linke for submissions and bump the thread with ideas, comments, statements, or just to bump. If you want to submit your stories or whatever you want to the second edition.

Dead software

• Thread starter Deleted member 2362
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2962 times.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have some good memories of Kai's Power Tools and associated software (Bryce, Goo, Soap, MetaSquares, etc.). I guess these products are probably mostly remembered today for Kai Krause's wacky ideas about UI design.
I wish we had the ability to design crazy UI like in old times. Adobe should release a software for designing UI since it's untapped market.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: wot

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
I wish we had the ability to design crazy UI like in old times. Adobe should release a software for designing UI since it's untapped market.
There is plenty of WYSIWYG software for building GUIs, I think we can live without another junky RAD tool from Adobe.

Nothing is stopping anyone from making weird UIs. It's probably easier to go crazy today because you could have all kinds of insane hardware-accelerated 3D interface elements. If you wanted, you could make an entire application based around petting ray-traced 3D cats.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MisterSeen

Cup and Ball Hog
Reaction score
Awards
3D Movie Maker was this silly little children's program made by Microsoft Home's Kids division that let you make animated movies by dropping a selection of characters and props onto pre-rendered 3D backdrops.
1666280325532.png
1666279637144.jpeg

It was a very, very limited program, as you couldn't import models and couldn't even properly animate the ones that were there, instead only using already built in animations, and there was no camera at all due to the nature of the scenes. However, it still has a surprisingly dedicated community to this day, who have managed to mod it to run smoothly on modern machines and allow for use of custom models with custom animations. Even with the vanilla assets, people have managed to work past the program's crude nature over the years and create some genuinely stunning works with it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJKeESLBpQ

I never used it back in the day, but I've toyed with it since and I actually find it quite entertaining to use. The limitations are a bit annoying at times, but they're also part of the fun, since you have to be creative with what you're given. It certainly has a charm that more capable software doesn't.

Virtual Cafe Awards

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
Back in the early 2000s, one of the most popular websites around (pre youtube era) was a flash site called homestarrunner.com (well what do you know, it's still up! Different but very spiritually similar to the original). Since the internet has gotten much larger, they are probably not known by people that don't remember them from that era.

They don't do as many cartoons as they once did, but they have an excellent newer series on youtube called Disk 4 of 12, where their most popular character Strong Bad does lets plays of very obscure DOS games. Familiarity with the homestar runner universe helps to get all of the in jokes. Not sure if it would be funny to you younger types, humor does age more quickly than most other media categories out there, but here are all of them at the moment:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvscxQN1JlA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh87dFlPt5A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUcMB68h64

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-0vXrBwwE

Virtual Cafe Awards
Containment Chat
Rules Help Users
  • shinobu:
    lingo said:
    To be honest i prefer the greens... chiller people overall though lazy at times
    https://youtu.be/OWodAv1KHaM
  • Jessica3cho:
    @eve Holy fuck your 2000's furry lingo is based and spot on
  • Jessica3cho:
    I'm having PTSD
    +1
  • lingo:
    one of the casualties of the internet were those insane school rumours u used to hear
    +1
  • eve:
    Jessica3cho said:
    @eve Holy fuck your 2000's furry lingo is based and spot on
    thxxx uu :3
  • Jackeline:
    yeah eve is awesome, she nailed the culture quite well
  • Jackeline:
    makes you think she lived those golden years
  • eve:
    0_0
  • Jackeline:
    0v0
  • eve:
    (-‸ლ)
  • eve:
    izz a facepalm XD
  • lingo:
    shinobu said:
    descargar las piratas del caribe CIENTO UN POR CIENTO LIBRE DEL VIRUS
  • shinobu:
    lingo said:
    las piratas del caribe
    Is that the R18 version?
  • mauer:
    eve said:
    awh :// ish okii ... das fine TwT
    :3
  • lingo:
    shinobu said:
    Is that the R18 version?
    muchas tetas
  • Jackeline:
    Todos ustedes, de aquí pa aca, son pendejos.
  • Jackeline:
    ahuevo que si.
  • Jackeline:
    *se fuma la pasta base*
  • lingo:
    So So Rude
  • Jackeline:
    De aquí pa aca, chingan a su madre
  • lingo:
    i failed spanish So your words have no effect on me
  • Clockwork:
    lingo said:
    private account or im blocked Very mysterious
  • Clockwork:
    New, sorry hoss, I was away. Not sure why it's private, shouldn't be
  • Pangolin:
    Se fuma la yerba
  • Clockwork:
    I would never smoke the Devil's Lettuce...
    Clockwork: I would never smoke the Devil's Lettuce...