Dead software

• Thread starter Deleted member 2362
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4369 times.

Deleted member 2362

The thread to remember software from the past. Software that died because it was mismanaged, couldn't adapt, it was shit to begin with or fell out of flavour. Stuff you remember fondly or the opposite. Anything goes.

RealMedia Player

RM.gif

Absolute piece of shit software with a piece of shit extension (the infamous .rm). Its only advantage was boasting smaller filesizes compared to the standards of the time, as well as providing a streaming function (that loaded like shit). One of the first examples of feature-creep software as well as spyware. Good riddance.

Quicktime Player

qt.png

Apple wouldn't be Apple if it didn't try to force an invention of theirs to be an industry-wide standard and failing in the process. Despite its apparently simplicity, it worked like shit (on Windows devices at least). The .mov format wasn't all bad 20 years ago, incompatibility aside, and it had a good run boosted by Apple's new movie trailers section (RIP).

Winamp

winamp.jpeg

*sips* ahh... now that was some real software...

Winamp was beloved by everyone at the time except for stuck up boomers who didn't want to move on from the built-in Windows programs. Lightweight, simple to use, infinitely customizable with endless skins... simply superb. But an ill-fated attempt to modernize the software (the infamous 3.x version) eventually killed all interest in the app, fate also helped by the eventual transition to library based players (like iTunes). One can always read some news that Winamp is making a comeback, eventually ending up in nothing. You can still partially satisfy your nostalgia with some open-source players like Audacious which features a Winamp-like skin.

Paint Shop Pro

PSP.jpeg

This program was my introduction to the image edition world. It wasn't half bad, its main strong point was the intuitive interface, one could pick it up without reading tutorials/manuals and start making good stuff. I used this to make signatures for others in one of my first forums. Eventually I had to transition to Photoshop because it had its limitations, but it was a good starting point. It's probably still alive in some form, but nobody cares anymore.

Audiogalaxy

audiogalaxy.jpeg

Not a program per-se, more of a web service, but still to this day the best P2P for music I've ever tried. An indexer of files, you could find absolutely everything, and I mean everything, it made a mockery of Napster and Kazaa. It's eventual death due to legal problems was a shock for me. Just top notch and a life-saver at the time.

WinMX

WinMX.png

Despite the name, it had nothing to do with Mexico... I think. Another handy P2P software, a bit niche compared to the likes of Kazaa, but very capable, efficient, and more secure. It eventually paved the way for the likes of e-Mule which expanded on the foundations of WinMX. This one apparently remained fairly popular in Japan after its decline in the west.

So, is there any dead/out-of-use software you remember? talk about it!

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Autodesk Softimage. It was amazing software, ahead of it's time, even used in blockbuster films until autodesk flipped the switch in mid 2010's. The only program that i could compare it today is SideFX houdini and Blender
0ba1e4fd7e1649d80cc22f8de4666a2d.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
The thread to remember software from the past. Software that died because it was mismanaged, couldn't adapt, it was shit to begin with or fell out of flavour. Stuff you remember fondly or the opposite. Anything goes.

RealMedia Player

View attachment 14607

Absolute piece of shit software with a piece of shit extension (the infamous .rm). Its only advantage was boasting smaller filesizes compared to the standards of the time, as well as providing a streaming function (that loaded like shit). One of the first examples of feature-creep software as well as spyware. Good riddance.

Quicktime Player

View attachment 14606

Apple wouldn't be Apple if it didn't try to force an invention of theirs to be an industry-wide standard and failing in the process. Despite its apparently simplicity, it worked like shit (on Windows devices at least). The .mov format wasn't all bad 20 years ago, incompatibility aside, and it had a good run boosted by Apple's new movie trailers section (RIP).

Winamp

View attachment 14605

*sips* ahh... now that was some real software...

Winamp was beloved by everyone at the time except for stuck up boomers who didn't want to move on from the built-in Windows programs. Lightweight, simple to use, infinitely customizable with endless skins... simply superb. But an ill-fated attempt to modernize the software (the infamous 3.x version) eventually killed all interest in the app, fate also helped by the eventual transition to library based players (like iTunes). One can always read some news that Winamp is making a comeback, eventually ending up in nothing. You can still partially satisfy your nostalgia with some open-source players like Audacious which features a Winamp-like skin.

Paint Shop Pro

View attachment 14604

This program was my introduction to the image edition world. It wasn't half bad, its main strong point was the intuitive interface, one could pick it up without reading tutorials/manuals and start making good stuff. I used this to make signatures for others in one of my first forums. Eventually I had to transition to Photoshop because it had its limitations, but it was a good starting point. It's probably still alive in some form, but nobody cares anymore.

Audiogalaxy

View attachment 14603

Not a program per-se, more of a web service, but still to this day the best P2P for music I've ever tried. An indexer of files, you could find absolutely everything, and I mean everything, it made a mockery of Napster and Kazaa. It's eventual death due to legal problems was a shock for me. Just top notch and a life-saver at the time.

WinMX

View attachment 14602

Despite the name, it had nothing to do with Mexico... I think. Another handy P2P software, a bit niche compared to the likes of Kazaa, but very capable, efficient, and more secure. It eventually paved the way for the likes of e-Mule which expanded on the foundations of WinMX. This one apparently remained fairly popular in Japan after its decline in the west.

So, is there any dead/out-of-use software you remember? talk about it!
Winamp is not dead ,me and my friends use it as our main media player. Its alot more popular than most think.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

Winamp is not dead ,me and my friends use it as our main media player. Its alot more popular than most think.
Probably my departure from Windows long ago caused me to think it wasn't as relevant as before. Hardly see people discuss it on /g/ or /mu/ either.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Quicktime Player

View attachment 14606

QuickTime Player is dead software? I still have it on my computer and I use it for a bunch of video files. Granted it's pretty old, but it's not that old, it's from 2014. Does QuickTime Player still come pre-installed with apple computers?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

QuickTime Player is dead software? I still have it on my computer and I use it for a bunch of video files. Granted it's pretty old, but it's not that old, it's from 2014. Does QuickTime Player still come pre-installed with apple computers?
That just means you're a boomer :okBoomer: :moneng:

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft V-Chat

A freeware 3D chat program released in December 1995 by Microsoft. V-Chat is a multi-user social chat client that lets people interact online from within a 2D or 3D multimedia environment using graphical representations of themselves known as avatars. V-Chat avatars have a full range of gestures that allow users to fully express themselves online. V-Chat enables users to select from a wide variety of existing avatars, or create custom avatars using the V-Chat Avatar Wizard. Sounds, animations, and visual imagery create mood and context for these graphical social environments.

B4068945-E380-479D-9C68-F6B154817AE7.png

423F69E5-0953-4D0E-BE11-CD5BDD35E02B.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Technically Paint Shop Pro is still around.
I've got a license for it and a bunch of other not adobe software from a humble bundle a couple years ago.

I installed it all on my windows laptop and do actually use it sometimes.
It's either that, open source, or extremely old pre-"software as a service" versions of adobe suite for me.
Because fuck adobe. Fuck "the cloud" (just a euphemism for someone eles's computer). And fuck software as a service.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Technically Paint Shop Pro is still around.
I've got a license for it and a bunch of other not adobe software from a humble bundle a couple years ago.

I installed it all on my windows laptop and do actually use it sometimes.
It's either that, open source, or extremely old pre-"software as a service" versions of adobe suite for me.
Because fuck adobe. Fuck "the cloud" (just a euphemism for someone eles's computer). And fuck software as a service.
I suggest Affinity software. It does its job really well and it costs only 50 euros which are less than adobe subscription cloud. Wish we had more variety at graphics design software that isn't just using premade logos and templates for social media posts. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Also i think Google did a bad job at android tablet support. They didn't allow to the developers to make apps ideal for tablets and instead scaling up existing apps. Like how many services google killed. Tablet market isn't competitive anymore as in early 2010s. Also the mobile games storefronts weren't plagued with games with junky ads and you could find niche titles such as Superbrothers sword and sworcery which is rare phenomenon nowdays.

Virtual Cafe Awards
is there any reason to use winamp over foobar in current year besides nostalgia | edit: nvm i forget winamp did videos too i think

also for the topic of the thread, my avatar :)

Virtual Cafe Awards
yes. I use windows for personal use but work in iphone app development. Quicktime also has built in screen recording which unless i'm retarded windows still doesnt have out of the box.

Virtual Cafe Awards