Dead software

• Thread starter Deleted member 2362
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4368 times.

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
MSN Messenger:

msn-messenger-screenshot.jpg

Probably the main way I talked to people from 1999ish right up until 2009 or 2010 or so. The fall was inevitable with the widespread adoption of unlimited texting plans. I had Windows CE slider phone in the late 2000s, and it cost money to text, but not to use MSN. Best memory is one of my friends in high school had their terrible computer, like a Pentium MMX 133 running 16 or 32 megs of ram in 2001, and we used to spam him with emoticons until his computer crashed and then he'd call you on the landline all pissed off.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

sticks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.bumps.cafe
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
MSN Messenger:

View attachment 17821

Probably the main way I talked to people from 1999ish right up until 2009 or 2010 or so. The fall was inevitable with the widespread adoption of unlimited texting plans. I had Windows CE slider phone in the late 2000s, and it cost money to text, but not to use MSN. Best memory is one of my friends in high school had their terrible computer, like a Pentium MMX 133 running 16 or 32 megs of ram in 2001, and we used to spam him with emoticons until his computer crashed and then he'd call you on the landline all pissed off.
Man I used to spend hours talking to people on MSN back in the day. Good times

Virtual Cafe Awards
MSN Messenger:

View attachment 17821

And I'm crying internally seeing this screenshot, goshdarnit. I miss MSN so hard.

I remember being 10 or so and me and my best friend at the time chatting on there even after we were with each other all day at school. Kids be kids. I would be talking to her while off doing my stuff and whenever I wouldn't reply for like, more than 30 seconds, she'd wizz me, send me messages as if trying to get my attention, then wizz the fuck bummer out of me and I'd get utterly pissed off. I remember her comic sans ms bright magenta font... not sure I remember mine lol, I think I usually put it in dark red?

I remember the little animations on there too. That kiss, pig dancing, smiley doing some sort of bowing, and a few others I don't remember. But they were so fun. MSN at least wasn't the bloated garbage Skype became after it changed.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
mIRC. I know its not dead dead, but well passed its heyday / relevance.

View attachment 17837
mIRC was the first piece of software I ever threw money down for that wasn't a video game. DALnet, EsperNet, EFnet, Undernet... so many communities and warez channels. Now I just use Soulseek (which ironically could also be in this thread. Let's add it)

Attachments

• slsk.PNG
    slsk.PNG
    156.4 KB · Views: 79
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Autodesk Softimage. It was amazing software, ahead of it's time, even used in blockbuster films until autodesk flipped the switch in mid 2010's. The only program that i could compare it today is SideFX houdini and BlenderView attachment 14614
Like software engineering techniques adapted into 3d graphics.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Winamp is not dead ,me and my friends use it as our main media player. Its alot more popular than most think.
There's a good partial rewrite of it called WACUP. Adds tons of features + fixes bugs while working the same

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Virtual Cafe Awards

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
This thread reminded me of how much I miss old software, MSN had such a charm to it that things like Discord just don't have.

Virtual Cafe Awards
mIRC was the first piece of software I ever threw money down for that wasn't a video game. DALnet, EsperNet, EFnet, Undernet... so many communities and warez channels. Now I just use Soulseek (which ironically could also be in this thread. Let's add it)
ah for real dude. I was a frequest user of Afternet. It was a tight knit community.

Really miss the IRC & MSN era

Virtual Cafe Awards
MSN Messenger:

View attachment 17821

I don't have words to describe all the feelings and memories that well up when I think about MSN messenger and its place in the 2000s...

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
woodbox.png

POV-Ray, the 3D software whose scenes are built not through any intuitive GUI, but by programming. Which opens some doors in terms of flexibility but closes others. I got into it long after it stopped being relevant and made a bunch of shitposty images/animations (and one video) before realizing how much effort was needed to make anything more complex. Pic is just one of the example scenes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 40746
POV-Ray, the 3D software whose scenes are built not through any intuitive GUI, but by programming. Which opens some doors in terms of flexibility but closes others. I got into it long after it stopped being relevant and made a bunch of shitposty images/animations (and one video) before realizing how much effort was needed to make anything more complex. Pic is just one of the example scenes.
Something like OpenGL or Vulkan APIs

Virtual Cafe Awards