• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Still a Youth

Hypet-Leathel
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.halopedia.org
I'm asking this both in terms of local (my personal computer), and globally (generally, is it a good idea for people to delete windows/Microsoft affiliated software?). What are your thoughts. Should one delete windows? is it worth keeping around? is life better without Bill Gates peering over your shoulder? (pic related, it's seattle)

Attachments

• Eye-of-Sauron.jpeg
    Eye-of-Sauron.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 75
Virtual Cafe Awards
I have a Windows boot drive. This is common knowledge, but my answer is do what you feel is most comfortable/challenging/fun for you. Mostly because some vendors don't support Linux for embedded software dev, or because certain proctoring service doesn't support Linux even though its just a web browser which alleges a ton about their technical acumen.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I get that theres also massive concern with Microsoft spyware. Don't worry, the feds can access the hardware at the lowest levels where even you can't see what they are doing. So you can be safe to know that you can still be safely fed-monitored for your own safety of course. Computers are dangerous don't ya know.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Well, deleting core system files would probably make Windows unusable for the user. As such knowledge is conventional wisdom, I am going to assume that this is question is more about the question of whetever one should use Windows or not.

As someone who uses both Windows 7 and 10, I heavily prefer Windows 7 as you have more control over it. On Windows 10, the OS force you to install updates, a banner about the Current Celebration™ is shoved on your face as part of the UI - which look souless to me. This all without mentionning the high probability of it being spyware.

For common users, I would reccomend them to use Windows 7 as long as they know basic Internet security practices. That being said Windows 10 is probably a safer options for most - especially in work environment.

Most tech-savy users tend to gravitate towards Linux. While completely fine for general computer use, heavy Windows power-users (as in using many different kind of software) might find themselves very limited as not everything has an equivalent.

Therefore, the sequence should be as follow:

map.png

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
I have one laptop that runs Windows 10. I use it strictly for schoolwork and gaming because Windows is superior for those two usage cases. I have a second beater laptop running Linux that I do most of my actual internet browsing on because less spyware and more privacy oriented, etc. It really comes down to what you plan to be doing on it. For my college you basically have to have either Windows or Mac as basically all the software that you need to run for courses isn't available on Linux or is very unstable. If you do any gaming then you'll also want Windows because Linux just isn't quite up to snuff just yet in my opinion. If you have an older computer or just want to use it for simple web browsing, storing files, and doing anything that isn't ehm. . . Kosher, etc. then Linux is better, it's more customizable and generally runs way smoother on older machines than Windows does. Linux also just has more soul imo.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

FreshSk8r

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Windows? MICROSOFT? Bill Gates is Satan incarnate! I HATE THE ANTICHRIST I HATE THE ANTICHRIST!!! :schitztroll::schitztroll::schitztroll:

On a more serious note, especially with Windows 11 on the horizon, I think everyone should make an effort to at least understand the risks involved with trusting big tech.
That being said, not everyone can afford to delete Windows. Speaking from my own experience, I have had more issues with Linux in the past few months of trying to use it than I have with the last 6 versions of Windows.
Recently, I was able to loosely track the source of my (many) problems down to... hardware incompatibility. :LaughHard: As much as I would love to ditch Microsoft, I'm stuck with Windows, ironically, because I can't pay to get Linux running properly. Don't get me started on Mac, which would cost more than two of my PC while not having half of the available software.

Unfortunately, computers are not just a cool showpiece - at least not for everyone. I depend on certain software to get work done, and Windows simply fulfills my requirements for an OS better than Mac or Linux can. I am aware of the spyware, but there's just not much I can do about it right now without sacrificing usability, time, or money.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
If you can afford avoiding it, you should. The Microsoft economic universe is slowing down human ascension towards knowledge because of greed

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fairykang

Cybernetic Esotericist
Reaction score
Awards
Everything you do on Windows 10 or 11 is monitored and tied to your real identity for marketing purposes. Same with macOS. Same with androids and iphones. If I pay hundreds of dollars for an electronic device, the least it can do is not spy on me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

I get that theres also massive concern with Microsoft spyware. Don't worry, the feds can access the hardware at the lowest levels where even you can't see what they are doing. So you can be safe to know that you can still be safely fed-monitored for your own safety of course. Computers are dangerous don't ya know.
"Everyone dies eventually so what does it matter to keep a healthy lifestyle in the meantime?"

I have been using linux exclusively for 5+ years now. Yes, delete Windows. Not because you like libre software or like to pretend to be tech literate, do it because you hate Windows. It comes off as memey and not serious but i am genuine. I have known a lot of linux users and i have never seen a linux ethusiast that actually uses linux exclusively. There is a reason why every linux seminar has the "i hate linux" undertone. People that hate linux but hate windows more make linux better, people that heckin love linux get employed by microshit down the road.

Virtual Cafe Awards
My by back of the napkin calculations. Microsoft has held back innovation in the desktop space to where they've strangled the platform and now it's on the decline. To where now it's not even a main profit maker, but rather the hook to getting customers into becoming revenue streams.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Anyways, OP, please listen to me. That it's really related to this thread. I went to SCALE a while ago; you know, SCALE? Well anyways there was an insane number of people there, and I couldn't get in. Then, I looked at the banner hanging from the ceiling, and it had "20 dollars off" written on it. Oh, the stupidity. Those idiots. You, don't come to SCALE just because it's 20 dollars off, fool. It's only 20 dollars, 2-0 DOLLARS for crying out loud. There're even entire families here. Family of 4, all out for some free software, huh? How fucking nice. "Alright, daddy's gonna install Arch." God I can't bear to watch. You people, I'll give you 20 dollars if you get out of those seats. SCALE should be a bloody place. That tense atmosphere, where two guys on opposite sides of the U-shaped table can start a fight at any time, the stab-or-be-stabbed mentality, that's what's great about this place. Women and children should screw off and stay home. Anyways, I was about to start hacking, and then the bastard beside me goes "I'm installing Crunchbang, with extra packages." Who in the world installs Crunchbang nowadays, you moron? I want to ask him, "do you REALLY want to install it with extra packages?" I want to interrogate him. I want to interrogate him for roughly an hour. Are you sure you don't just want to try saying "extra packages"? Coming from a SCALE veteran such as myself, the latest trend among us vets is this, MX Linux. That's right, MX Linux. This is the vet's operating system. MX Linux means MEPIS and antiX. But on the other hand the bloat is a tad higher. This is the key. And then, your system is perfect. This is unbeatable. However, if you install this then there is danger that you'll be marked by the employees from next time on; it's a double-edged sword. I can't recommend it to amateurs.

What this all really means, though, is that you, OP, should just stick with Windows 11.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DOOM95.EXE

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've tried over the years. It's very hard. I've been using Windows on a consistent basis since Win95 and have become so adept with the OS and how it works that I could never switch now. 95, XP and 7 are three of the finest operating systems ever released imho (bugs, quirks and all).

Every few years I'll try the hottest Linux distro of the moment but always get frustrated and re-install Windows. Even though desktop Linux has come a long way since I first tried Fedora Core, there's still a lot of incompatibilities with modern hardware (neither Kubuntu nor Fedora could detect the touchpad and integrated WiFi adapter in my 2017 ASUS laptop even with the full DVD image). All of that aside, there's a big problem with project abandonware on Linux. This could be true for any OS, but most of the apps I've used since the late 90's like Winamp, IrfanView and mIRC are still actively supported and in development even today. Outdated documentation is a problem as well, with lots & lots of unanswered questions on Linux messages boards.

But don't get me wrong. Microsoft has been shitting out constantly awful and broken updates within the past decade in order to keep up with whatever Apple and Google are doing at the moment. Windows 8 was the end of my blind support for Microsoft's OS. Windows 10 was a small improvement, but 11 is once again making the same mistakes with bullshit telemetry, forcing online user accounts, ads in Settings app & more. I will probably stick with 10 until support ends in 2025.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
ads in Settings app & more.
As a mac user that switched away during the intel era, this was what made me ditch Windows and go back. Receiving adverts in the system, in an OS you have ostensibly bought at some point (*cough* my win10 digital entitlement was autoissued from a pirated copy of win7 lel) is absolutely heinous. I feel the same way about shit like samsung phones pushing ads to you.

It's one thing to have ads on a free service you use, but the minute you get ads in something you've paid for, that's me fucking done with the thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I'm asking this both in terms of local (my personal computer), and globally (generally, is it a good idea for people to delete windows/Microsoft affiliated software?). What are your thoughts. Should one delete windows? is it worth keeping around? is life better without Bill Gates peering over your shoulder? (pic related, it's seattle)
I have a Windows machine and run linux off of a USB. I'm working on getting a machine that I'll run only linux on, and I'll probably talk more about it once I actually have it. I keep Windows around for gaming and for using software that I can't run or find an alternative for on my distro. As time goes by and I get better at using things like vim, my window manager, and other such things, I become less dependent on Windows. I often go weeks without using Windows, only loading it up to play video games. There is a surprising number of desktop-apps that have decent browser or terminal based alternatives which helps keep bloat down. I actually like using the browser for some apps because I've hardened my browser to resist tracking which hopefully makes it harder for the app to spy on me. (Of course, you still have to be aware of what data you give the app.)

I was a big fan of Windows 7 for a long time, and I still love it. Despite that, I've moved to Windows 10 as my main Windows platform because I want to keep it secure from third parties at the very least. Big Brother Bill is still watching my every move on there I'm sure, but at least its harder for third parties to break in because Microsoft is continuing to support Windows 10. I've done a decent job hardening Windows to make it harder for Microsoft to spy on me there, but in the end, that is a pretty futile effort.

The caveat to all of this is that I have a Windows 10 machine through my job. There is a lot of proprietary software that probably isn't even available on linux that I end up needing to use for my job, but I use that computer only for work-related tasks.

At the end of the day, @Pangolin is right; the Intel management engine is fucking you over, potentially allowing for all sorts of spooky spying and tracking. If you can, get a machine from before the IME and run linux on that. Beyond that, move to linux if you can, but consider keeping Windows around in some capacity for those hopefully rare times that you need it.

Attachments

• DeleteWindows_Signature.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 43
Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I should specify i already run a dual partition with Ubuntu and Windows 11. I'm just wondering if i really should take the time to just wipe windows off it for good.
I mean, if you're concerned about privacy, I'd consider moving off of Ubuntu. I've heard some shady rumors. No idea if they're true, and Ubuntu is almost certainly better than Windows, but I'd still recommend switching to something like Debian at least.
Then again, I really enjoy the process of setting up and configuring an OS, so that might be an unreasonable recommendation.
I'd say keep the Windows partition. The only risk I can think of is it somehow reading stuff from your Ubuntu partition(s), but that is probably outweighed by its usefulness (depending on how worried about privacy you are).

Attachments

• DeleteWindows2_Signature.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Hypet-Leathel
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.halopedia.org
I mean, if you're concerned about privacy, I'd consider moving off of Ubuntu. I've heard some shady rumors. No idea if they're true, and Ubuntu is almost certainly better than Windows, but I'd still recommend switching to something like Debian at least.
Then again, I really enjoy the process of setting up and configuring an OS, so that might be an unreasonable recommendation.
I'd say keep the Windows partition. The only risk I can think of is it somehow reading stuff from your Ubuntu partition(s), but that is probably outweighed by its usefulness (depending on how worried about privacy you are).
that's kinda where im at with it. ubuntu is preferable, but i've also seen that ubuntu might be collabing with windows. partly why i made this post, just hedging my bets, so to speak.

Virtual Cafe Awards