discworld and anything discworld related!

goldenvirginiafan53

member of the unseen university
Reaction score
Awards
hello everyone! i am a noob but i thought i would just ask has anybody here ever read or encountered terry pratchett's wonderfully strange fantasy series discworld? i have a good portion of the books and am on my sixth one - wyrd sisters - and have completely fallen in love with it. i guess if enough people know of this series this thread can be used as a general discussion place??

iu

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love discworld, I read all of them a good while ago. Pratchett is one of the greatest fantasy authors of all time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

goldenvirginiafan53

Reaction score
Awards
I read a couple of the books when I was younger but, it's forever since I've read one. Should I get back into the series?
i would definitely recommend so! i read a few very young and coming back to it i can appreciate the humour a lot more. some of the books deal with a lot of heavy issues with a certain candour that can only be appreciated when you are a little older. i remember enjoying them as a kid because of all the silly characters and whatnot but now i appreciate them a lot more because im older?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
If anyone is wondering where to start with discworld, here's my advice:

Do not read them in release order. Pick a group of characters (eg: the witches, death) and read the books about them in chronological order. Then decide on another group and continue. I'd suggest not starting with the Unseen University books, and reading the sam vimes books last as they go furthest in chronological order.

Virtual Cafe Awards

goldenvirginiafan53

Reaction score
Awards
If anyone is wondering where to start with discworld, here's my advice:

Do not read them in release order. Pick a group of characters (eg: the witches, death) and read the books about them in chronological order. Then decide on another group and continue. I'd suggest not starting with the Unseen University books, and reading the sam vimes books last as they go furthest in chronological order.
i agree!! when i first sat down to properly read them i did do it in chronological order and whilst it did confuse me a little, the experience was nice because it was like this world was slowly being built book-by-book. i would definitely agree with picking a particular 'character' and go from there. i must say granny weatherwax is my favourite character:)))

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
I found the books last year when someone recommended Thief of Time on another forum.
Before that, I had only heard about Discworld when the author died and there were many posts everywhere online about GNU Terry Pratchett, which confused me because it clearly wasn't the GNU I knew about, but I jumped in and read it all in two days and I loved it. Then I checked Wikipedia and found that there were tons of other books in the series, so I chose one at random and read through it, and did that for around 5 books. Then I picked Moist's books and read them in order, and later the Watch books, but I've mostly read them out of order. Nice reads, very recommended.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Could someone whose read discworld recommend a faction or group of characters? Or at least list them?

I hear its a really weird book series, and I like that sort of stuff.
Death or witches are my advice. the main sub-series are witches, city watch, death, wizards, moist von lipwig, tiffany aching (YA series), and a bunch of standalones

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Could someone whose read discworld recommend a faction or group of characters? Or at least list them?

I hear its a really weird book series, and I like that sort of stuff.
I'ma have to go with the death series, as there some of the funniest stuff I've read In the series.

I'd also suggest starting with the first book, as it serves as a great introduction to the world, even though it's an ok book relative to the other ones In the series.

Virtual Cafe Awards