What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

This is the submission thread for the 2nd E-zine! Please use the dropbox linke for submissions and bump the thread with ideas, comments, statements, or just to bump. If you want to submit your stories or whatever you want to the second edition.

Disillusion/Disillusion Starship trooper dev thread.

• Thread starter RIG
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 7172 times.

Kolph

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 12505
going forward i am going to upload updates here rather than on my profile, that way they go into the media thingy (and also i am not spamming the hell out of front page with profile updates)
Admit it, you just want more achievements ;)

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Dum video. The German car engineering thing being mentioned is hilarious though because I was just making a jab at my friends taste in shitboxes. Most of that is really hyper exaggeration though
I actually thought that greentext was you advertising the game on /x/

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I got an unexpected (paid) day off work today, so I decided to finally brush up my Steam password and try Disillusion. And although seeing Steam's interface was a bit distasteful at first, I quickly forgot about it by the time I got to Disillusion's title screen. The main theme music is hypnotic and ethereal and I think it signals the core vibe of the game in a very appealing way.

I got a little past the first boss and have around 2 hours of playtime so far. I really like it. It's that perfect type of weird that I crave, and I want to keep playing. I might share my thoughts more extensively once I finish it, but for now I just want to say that I haven't enjoyed a video game this much in maybe a year or two. Granted, I'm not a huge gamer.

That's also a really cool font you use. Did you design it yourself or is it just a really obscure one you found? If you did make it yourself, do you mind sharing what tool(s) you used to design it?

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I got an unexpected (paid) day off work today, so I decided to finally brush up my Steam password and try Disillusion. And although seeing Steam's interface was a bit distasteful at first, I quickly forgot about it by the time I got to Disillusion's title screen. The main theme music is hypnotic and ethereal and I think it signals the core vibe of the game in a very appealing way.

I got a little past the first boss and have around 2 hours of playtime so far. I really like it. It's that perfect type of weird that I crave, and I want to keep playing. I might share my thoughts more extensively once I finish it, but for now I just want to say that I haven't enjoyed a video game this much in maybe a year or two. Granted, I'm not a huge gamer.

That's also a really cool font you use. Did you design it yourself or is it just a really obscure one you found? If you did make it yourself, do you mind sharing what tool(s) you used to design it?
Glad you are enjoying it! the fonts called megrim, it's just an obscure one I found tho I've been considering modifying it to make certain letters more readable as a lot of people do complain about it.

People seem split 50/50 on the font but I love it and am pretty stubborn on changing it

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Glad you are enjoying it! the fonts called megrim, it's just an obscure one I found tho I've been considering modifying it to make certain letters more readable as a lot of people do complain about it.

People seem split 50/50 on the font but I love it and am pretty stubborn on changing it
I meant to respond sooner, but I just finished the game (I think?), and with that added perspective I agree that slightly modifying the font would be very helpful. Design wise I think the font is an excellent choice, but there are times when it can really get in the games way. I rarely found this to be an issue when there was a textbox. I think it's legible enough when against a white/black background. But here was an instance where I really struggled to make out what was being said:
can't read this.png

There is a lot of black space at the top, and I think cutting that paragraph in half and having that white text against a black background would make it much easier to read. I struggled to make out the text during this whole part, and as a result when I was given a yes/no prompt I had no idea what I was answering. My first answer led immediately into the credits, so I assume that was a bad ending. I tried again which led to a boss which led to another ending. Not being able to understand the context of the boss battle definitely detracted from the experience a bit.

I remember Mel mentioning something about there being like 8 or so bosses, and I only fought a total of 3 or 4. This is just me begging for tips, but do you have any idea where I went wrong? And in general is there a recommended path to get the best ending?

My only real critique was with not being able to read the text which contextualizes the ending I got. I really enjoyed this game a lot and have recommended it to a few of my friends. I definitely want to give it another go to aim for the other endings, but I'm really not much of a "gamer" and typically resort to walkthroughs for these type of things. Not asking for that, but I really would appreciate some helpful tips. (Was collecting all the pollen where I went wrong?)

Edit: I'm thinking about later making a post about the things I found really memorable about this game, but I want to give it a bit of time to sink in first. I'll just say that I think you did an excellent job with the NPC designs and the various conversations you can have with them. I enjoyed that element of the game a lot.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I meant to respond sooner, but I just finished the game (I think?), and with that added perspective I agree that slightly modifying the font would be very helpful. Design wise I think the font is an excellent choice, but there are times when it can really get in the games way. I rarely found this to be an issue when there was a textbox. I think it's legible enough when against a white/black background. But here was an instance where I really struggled to make out what was being said:
View attachment 12736
There is a lot of black space at the top, and I think cutting that paragraph in half and having that white text against a black background would make it much easier to read. I struggled to make out the text during this whole part, and as a result when I was given a yes/no prompt I had no idea what I was answering. My first answer led immediately into the credits, so I assume that was a bad ending. I tried again which led to a boss which led to another ending. Not being able to understand the context of the boss battle definitely detracted from the experience a bit.

I remember Mel mentioning something about there being like 8 or so bosses, and I only fought a total of 3 or 4. This is just me begging for tips, but do you have any idea where I went wrong? And in general is there a recommended path to get the best ending?

My only real critique was with not being able to read the text which contextualizes the ending I got. I really enjoyed this game a lot and have recommended it to a few of my friends. I definitely want to give it another go to aim for the other endings, but I'm really not much of a "gamer" and typically resort to walkthroughs for these type of things. Not asking for that, but I really would appreciate some helpful tips. (Was collecting all the pollen where I went wrong?)

Edit: I'm thinking about later making a post about the things I found really memorable about this game, but I want to give it a bit of time to sink in first. I'll just say that I think you did an excellent job with the NPC designs and the various conversations you can have with them. I enjoyed that element of the game a lot.
When Mel mentioned the 8 other characters she is referring to her sisters, mel is 1 of 9 of the Greek muses. These characters are not in the game but they will make an appearance in the next game. There are other bosses in a secret maze but they are optional and server no purpose other than getting better gear and progressing certain character stories. There is a lot to miss with certain characters and their stories progressing in the tower but not much is being missed other than over powered items or stats, I intentionally left it very hidden and vague

as far as endings go there are a few other endings you can do that revolve around helping a specific character. There are multiple people you meet more than once

chii is one of these characters, you must meet with him a few time once in the hospital. Again in the school, later on a regular floor, and again at the last floor. You will also need to find a shrine and speak to a certain deity who Mel will then ask you to report the information to chii. On the last floor you are now given the option to do the true ending or a separate bonus bad ending. What version of the true ending you get hinges on how you've treated Mel throughout the game as well as one final choice after defeating mara.

also regarding the font with this next game I'm considering changing it and using megrim still more as an italics that way I can still have best of both worlds

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When Mel mentioned the 8 other characters she is referring to her sisters, mel is 1 of 9 of the Greek muses. These characters are not in the game but they will make an appearance in the next game. There are other bosses in a secret maze but they are optional and server no purpose other than getting better gear and progressing certain character stories. There is a lot to miss with certain characters and their stories progressing in the tower but not much is being missed other than over powered items or stats, I intentionally left it very hidden and vague

as far as endings go there are a few other endings you can do that revolve around helping a specific character. There are multiple people you meet more than once

chii is one of these characters, you must meet with him a few time once in the hospital. Again in the school, later on a regular floor, and again at the last floor. You will also need to find a shrine and speak to a certain deity who Mel will then ask you to report the information to chii. On the last floor you are now given the option to do the true ending or a separate bonus bad ending. What version of the true ending you get hinges on how you've treated Mel throughout the game as well as one final choice after defeating mara.

also regarding the font with this next game I'm considering changing it and using megrim still more as an italics that way I can still have best of both worlds
Would you consider a Disillusion Remaster after 2? You know, going over the game with the new engine so its more accessible and expanding on the lore more.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Would you consider a Disillusion Remaster after 2? You know, going over the game with the new engine so its more accessible and expanding on the lore more.
No, disillusion 2 being a superior prequel is going to be intended as the entry point. I'm intentionally designing it lighter and even a bit more cheery to be a stark contrast of what the original disillusion is

Virtual Cafe Awards