Documentary recommendations

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Basically the title. Ill start:

Das Netz – Unabomber, LSD und Internet | Documentary about uncle ted and the CIA experiments that may have made him flip. If enough interested people cant find it I might upload an archive copy somewhere since every YT version is down.

Africa Addio | Very gory documentary about Africa made in the 60s. I recommend the Italian version with subtitles, the english dub is far more racist than the original in its commentary in a way the filmmakers didn't intend. Don't watch this if you're sensitive to people or animals dying/being maimed.

The Century of the Self | Probably the most relevant of Adam Curtis' documentaries to our current situation. It talks about the origins of propaganda and PR, their links to psychoanalysis and marketing. If this was made today I doubt it would have aired on the BBC.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm also a big fan of Adam Curtis. Personally I would recommend all of his documentaries, but Hypernormalisation was the first of his documentaries I saw and I think it's an excellent place to start. It's been up on YouTube for years (in fact I think most of his docs can be found on Youtube):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J6rU3NUMM0&t=5182s

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
I'd like to recommend Carts of Darkness, it's about homeless dudes in Canada doing extreme sports with shopping carts. Kept me entertained for an hour, at least.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Brian Springer's Spin (1995)

View: https://youtu.be/PlJkgQZb0VU

Ever wonder what's going on behind the scenes of TV between commercial breaks? Look no further. I can't recommend this documentary enough. It goes into the coverage of the US '92 elections as well as the LA riots. I really wish people were pulling and recording raw TV feeds like this today (if that's even possible)

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I wish there were more anime documentaries exploring anime culture, industry, issues. A topic not well covered in documentaries despite its rise of popularity in the last decades with the availablitiy of streaming services. Netflix ones called Enter the anime doesn't do very good job outside being a promotional material for netflix anime and the ignorance of the presentator regarding japanese culture calling edgy which is cringy term.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyP5pvMAXM

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Also, does anyone know good japanese culture documentaries like arts and religion that aren't just some western guys wandering at tokyo and doing cliche things?
I really want to explore country's history but the weeb stuff doesn't give clear image. I think it's the problem of how narrow the image of the country is to west.

Virtual Cafe Awards

slowmotion

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

This one is great, saw it back in college and inspired me to drop out of my summer classes and hitchhike and trainhop across the country. It was filmed and directed by Moxie Marlinspike when he was younger (before he started the Signal app) "Hold Fast: Stories of maniac sailors, anarchist castaways, and the voyage of the S/V Pestilence... Over the course of two winters, four members of the Anarchist Yacht Clubb rescued a derelict boat from the inhospitable waters of Ft. Lauderdale, named it the S/V Pestilence, and sailed south to Haiti. Hold Fast describes what drew these friends to the ocean, and tells the story of what they discovered in the sea. It paints a picture of the S/V Pestilence in the context of all the sailing maniacs who have come before them, and ultimately attempts to suggest that the secret is always to begin."

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Also, does anyone know good japanese culture documentaries like arts and religion that aren't just some western guys wandering at tokyo and doing cliche things?
I really want to explore country's history but the weeb stuff doesn't give clear image. I think it's the problem of how narrow the image of the country is to west.
Those would be kino. I wish weebs subbed actual Japanese documentaries and stuff like that. It is important to see what is a group's self image first hand.

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Japanology Plus is pretty decent, it's produced by the NHK and it's watchable for free on YouTube

Virtual Cafe Awards
Japanology Plus is pretty decent, it's produced by the NHK and it's watchable for free on YouTube
Peter Barakan's voice is like ASMR to me. I used to play Japanology Plus in the background sometimes when I struggled to get to sleep.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As an actual documentary recommendation:

Life and Debt

It's an older one, but it shows how the IMF loans and globalization can hurt poorer countries.

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg

An hour-long AVGN-style retrospective on the Dendy, a series of Chinese Famicom bootlegs sold in Russia in the years immediately following the collapse of the Soviet Union. The fact that the presenter actually grew up playing these games makes it ten times more interesting than more recent videos on the same subject.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg

An hour-long AVGN-style retrospective on the Dendy, a series of Chinese Famicom bootlegs sold in Russia in the years immediately following the collapse of the Soviet Union. The fact that the presenter actually grew up playing these games makes it ten times more interesting than more recent videos on the same subject.

They were pretty common in countries with weak economy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7iUoWi_-U

Interesting historical documentary(Not that history channel redneck garbage) about dangers of victorian homes. Toys made of lead(It was already banned in rest of europe), corset that could harm vital organs by sqeezing them and the fact women had to wear uncomfortable clothing, toxic chemicals in bland food to make them more tasty(It isn't too far from modern processed foods)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Atlas

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For those of you that have a firm understanding of our monetary system this documentary is not going to shock you, but if economics is not your strong suit I see this as a good introduction. It basically explains how money is made, the origins of the banking system, and why its inevitably designed to collapse because of unsustainable growth. I am a bit of a midwit so I wont LARP by saying I understood it perfectly, some parts do get lost on me so its worth a rewatch now and then.

View: https://youtu.be/4AC6RSau7r8

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards