Does anyone have any art tips?

MonkeyDude

Da hood momke
Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone have any tips for drawing folds on clothes, besides of course drawing a lot of lines of course ? Or just any more advanced tip

Virtual Cafe Awards

Crash_overdrive

Learning how to code..... Poorly
Reaction score
Awards
Remember the base shape that the fold is made of, is it a cylinder or cone? one of the best tips i found was from leonardo Da vinci (long paragraph incoming)
Of the nature of the folds in drapery: that part of a fold which is farthest from the ends where it is confined will fall most nearly in its natural form. Every thing by nature tends to remain at rest. Drapery, being of equal density and thickness on its wrong side and its right, has a tendency to lie flat; therefor when you give it a fold or plait forcing it out of its flatness note well the result of the contraint in the part where it is most confined: and the part that is farthest from this constraint you will see replaces most into the natural stat; that is to say, lies free and flowing.
You ought not to give drapery a great confusion of many folds, but rather only introduce them where they are held by the hands or the arms; the rest you may let fall simply where it is its nature to flow.

In summation remember that all drapery's component shapes are cylindrical when the fold is pinched it will become more like a cone. a way to practice is take a piece of cardstock and roll it into a tube and cone have a studio light on it now draw the gradations from dark to light. When you are better able to see the subtleties of value than take a studio light to a piece of draped white fabric over say a box and practice sketching that.

A great primer for these basics is the youtube channel "proko" here is a video on value and form that will help you out.

View: https://youtu.be/V3WmrWUEIJo

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
Don't be afraid to use references, especially when drawing clothing and especially when starting out drawing. Remember the clothing doesn't perfectly stick to the body and puffs out a little bit. Focus the fold lines around where things bend, like the joints, and don't draw as many lines on the rest of the cloth.
Take into consideration the material you want to portray as well. A lighter fabric like silk will have many more lines than something heavy like wool. I'm not the best at explaining myself, so I'll attach an image.
Finally, line weight is very important. It makes the piece interesting. Make the lines thicker in parts where the cloth would fold to emphasize the shadow, and use a slightly thicker pen for the overall outline of the shape.
Second image is the shading point I tried getting across but it got the point across far better. It's by a really incredible artist I follow on twitter by the name of Celestial Fang, but they deleted the attached tutorial because twitter pulled a twitter on them. Neutral light has its time and place though, certainly.
I hope this helps, good luck!

clothes tutorial.png
celestialfang shading tutorial.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards