Does anyone remember the sun being a different color when you were younger?

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This is going to sound weird:

But I remember vividly when I was younger (mid 1990's) when the sun had a more yellow/slight orange hue to it. I don't know if this is attributed to different particulate in the air back then or there was a different sun cycle or something, not sure. But the sun these days is now a super bright white color.

Am I crazy?
you're crazy youtube GIF by SoulPancake

Does anyone else remember this also?

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
wait a minute, the sun is still yellow with orange hue, Ive never seen it white:monkaOMEGA:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
The sun is only appears pure white outside of the atmosphere. Because of scattering and shit you'll only ever see a very bright yellow at best at around noon. As for your discrepancy in perception, I can only assume it's memory fuckery like Ruby said.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Depending on where you live, pollution and or smoke in the atmosphere can alter the apparent color of the sun. If you live in a rural area, a high altitude region, or a snowy / desert region the sun will be whiter - white being the real color of the sun and not the golden yellow we associate it with - than living in a major city. Take for instance the fires in North America and the weather conditions last week east of the Rockies, the sun has a baleful vermilion glow to it as a result of the smoke.

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The sun is only appears pure white outside of the atmosphere. Because of scattering and shit you'll only ever see a very bright yellow at best at around noon. As for your discrepancy in perception, I can only assume it's memory fuckery like Ruby said.
You guys are definitely correct. For frame of reference, this was in Ohio in the late 90's/early 00's.
I guess in retrospect it's mind-fuckery. I guess that opens up another box on why the mind inserts things that aren't necessarily true. I believe there is a scientific explanation to this. The brain needs a beginning-middle-end for most long term memory recalls and anything it can't recall it fills in for you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mynamejeff69s

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

But I remember vividly when I was younger (mid 1990's) when the sun had a more yellow/slight orange hue to it. I don't know if this is attributed to different particulate in the air back then or there was a different sun cycle or something, not sure. But the sun these days is now a super bright white color.

Am I crazy?
you're crazy youtube GIF by SoulPancake're crazy youtube GIF by SoulPancake

no

Virtual Cafe Awards

win2k

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

Am I crazy?
you're crazy youtube GIF by SoulPancake're crazy youtube GIF by SoulPancake

I always thought that the color of the day change with age. I remember days being brighter than now being an adult...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Unit K-17

Terminally Online Zoomer
Reaction score
Awards
Guys, stop trolling this person. The sun is very clearly dark orange, and we are all well aware of it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Have you gone to the eye doctor? Maybe your color perception and/or sensibility to light has changed with the time and that's why you think the sun was a different color before as that's how you perceived it. (those damm pc screens mess with your eyes boi)

If you stare at the sky for long time your perception of the color of the sun can change as it happens to me. (or maybe it's just my eyes, but after a long time admiring clouds (not staring at the sun, just the clouds) I go and look at myself on the mirror and I'm kinda yellow or kinda orange or some nice smooth color, pretty nice vfx tbh) So maybe it's something like that, that your eyes change.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
for some reason I remember it being yellowish orange. Also the sky back then in my hometown would always be these pretty colors during sunset.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GeorgeOrr

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting thread responses, that some now see the sun as white but others yellow/orange.

How about the following experiment:

Next time everyone here has a clear day, go outside check the exact color you see, and with a paint program, find the same color on the pallet, and post what you see here, plus if you think its different to what you remember, post the color you remember it.

I unmistakably remember it yellow/orange in the past and now see it as white. It used to be yellow upto late arvo, then started to darken to orange until sunset, now it only becomes mild yellow right at the point of sunset, remaining white right up till then.

suncomparison.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
I havent seen the sun in days. It's too cloudy here!

I know the moon DOES look different depending on its positions and atmopsheric seasons, but these changes done last for years so I dont think that could apply to the sun really.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GeorgeOrr

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I havent seen the sun in days. It's too cloudy here!

I know the moon DOES look different depending on its positions and atmopsheric seasons, but these changes done last for years so I dont think that could apply to the sun really.
If you mean the face on the moon not always being upright, but at an angle sometimes, have you seen it turn fully sideways at a 45 degree? Have seen that a couple times in the last few years.

But please no slacking in getting out to enjoy the day next time the suns out, & tell us what you see :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting thread responses, that some now see the sun as white but others yellow/orange.

How about the following experiment:

Next time everyone here has a clear day, go outside check the exact color you see, and with a paint program, find the same color on the pallet, and post what you see here, plus if you think its different to what you remember, post the color you remember it.

I unmistakably remember it yellow/orange in the past and now see it as white. It used to be yellow upto late arvo, then started to darken to orange until sunset, now it only becomes mild yellow right at the point of sunset, remaining white right up till then.

View attachment 8759
I still havent been able to do this has been cloudy lately

Virtual Cafe Awards