What's new

Does vaporwave really 'critique' consumer culture or is that just what people say to sound smart?

dany69burton

Traveler
People always say vaporwave critiques consumerism, but if so, how does it actually do so? Does a ten foot solid gold McDonalds logo critique McDonalds if the creator of said statue says it does?

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Awards
これは興味深い質問です。アーティストによって違うと思います。すべての蒸気波ミュージシャンには独自の意図があり、その意図を認識するのは難しい場合があります。一部のミュージシャンは、消費主義を批判し、ドローンループと周囲のノイズで不気味な品質を達成しようとしています。しかし、スラックボーイや深夜のパティなど、昨日のモールは今日の世界で広く普及しているオンラインコマースよりも共同で健全であると信じており、若者のショッピングセンターに敬意を表しています。蒸気波のために蒸気波を作成するサードパーティがあります。もちろん、すべてのサブジャンルが資本主義を批判しているわけではありません。エコージャムなどの一部は、モールや製品とはほとんど関係がありません。モールのソフトアーティストがモールを持っているのか、モールを始めているのかを判断するのは難しいかもしれませんが、特定のアルバムを何度も繰り返し聴けば、その意図は十分に明確であるはずです。モールを愛することとそれらを嫌うことの間の分裂は、もちろん、ユートピアの仮想と偽のユートピアの間の分裂を生み出したものです。うまくいけば、これはあなたのために物事を片付けるのに役立ちました。

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Well-Known Traveler
Awards
i think the only obvious anti-capitalist element of a lot of vaporwave songs (can't speak to what a lot producers are thinking) is the flying in the face of copywrite protections (or are copywrite protections a regulation?). the overload nostalgia might be inflected with some resentment for how capitalism takes on and disposes of cultural moments/images for profit, but that's just a mood

Virtual Cafe Awards

dany69burton

Traveler
I'm glad this question didn't start a flame war ;)
Actually that's a good point about nostalgia which I hadn't considered, I had only really thought of nostalgia as celebrating consumerism and mainstream culture of the past, but you're right, I guess I got confused by thinking "consumerism = capitalism".
I'd like to be able to find a way to take this style of music a bit further away from nostalgia though to be honest, I wonder if you could make a half vaporwave, half robotic punk album, kind of saying 'yeah I am sampling old stuff but I am doing so simply for my own hedonistic pleasure, now I'm gonna do whatever I want right here right now'.