dolphins and generational symbols

power gem

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i read this post elsewhere and it resonated with me:

I'm working on a theory, a kind of generational zodiac. It seems to me that the first decade of my life (born '91) was rife with dolphins - dolphin buddies in children's media, plastic glow-in-the-dark dolphin appliqués on bedroom walls and ceilings, binders and folders emblazoned with day-glo hallucinations of neon dolphins somersaulting over the waves of tropical seas
There was, of course, the mainstream breach of dolphin culture in the first Ace Ventura Pet Detective, then the ur-document of the dolphin subconscious, Ecco the Dolphin.
I think the era can be neatly cut off in the year 00. The early aughts were characterized by a fair amount of dolphin backlash, from early internet legends of Soviet trained war dolphins, to that experiment where the lady lived with a bunch of dolphins and fucked them, to the "revelation" that dolphins often torture and murder porpoises for fun. All this sealed the deal for the dolphin, and ended its reign as the generational animal.
Still thinking about what followed it.
00s: penguins/polar bears? 10s: ??? 20s: capybara?​

my childhood too was full of dolphins. i feel a deep nostalgia whenever i see tacky dolphin themed art and memorabilia.
132ff72c028551c866b8d067b066457a.jpg
paradise-bay_u-L-Q1HTD4Y0.jpgil_570xN.4101792721_jloj.jpg
6165GiZr5vS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
51VRyhIOzPL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
0069878110967.jpg
i don't know what the "generational animal" of the 2020s is, or if there is one. sure, there are capybara memes, but its not like everything in the kids section of a department store has a capybara on it. these sort of plant motifs were very common on consumer products in the late 2010s/early 2020s and might be a candidate for a generational symbol:
66638617-ornement-succulent-dessiné-à-la-main-avec-des-cactus-motif-sans-couture-avec-des-cact...jpg
scr-.jpg
pineapple-tropical-seamless-pattern-background-tropical-nature-wrapping-paper-or-textile-desig...jpg
i haven't seen as much of them lately though. i'm not a zoomer and don't pay attention to zoomer trends, so maybe i'm completely wrong, but my impression is that zoomer aesthetics tend to be less representational. the kids these days aren't drawing or making animations - they're filming stuff with their phone camera on tiktok. they are interested in (hyper)reality, not symbols. when was the last time you saw someone wearing a graphic tshirt that wasn't a band tee?

Virtual Cafe Awards
well as another zoomer who didn't pay attention to zoomer trendsd I'd say our animal could be the flamingo it's the one I see the most associated with those tropical plant motifs you posted wich were definitely a big thing in the past years. i remember all the girls owned at least one article of clothinfg, a textbook, a phonecase, a backpack, a pin, a pencil case or ssomething wth those motifs and they always was a flamingo in those preferably wearing some shades
71h2HL7SiNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Vans-Authentic-flamant-rose01.jpg
coque-transparente-pour-iphone-11-61-flamant-rose.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards