Don't be sad it's over. Be glad it happened.

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
Nothing Lasts 4ever and maybe that's a good thing

If there is anything I've learned throughout my time on the internet and life, it's that nothing lasts forever. One day I will log in and none of you will be here, or perhaps this website won't exist. But that's what makes any particular era so memorable. It's a single point in time in which the state of the world, the parameters of chaos, a virtually infinite number of conditions within this complex system of life exist in such a way to gather a particular set of people, on this particularly small website, to produce particularly fun and cozy place for me to come back to at the end of every day.

I don't mean to be cringe. I think when you are younger you don't realize that the fun you enjoy will one day cease to exist in way it does in the present. The first 1 or 2 times it happened, I did not realize how good things were or that life wouldn't exist in that way again, until it didn't. But after having gone through it a number of times I eventually picked up the pattern. Since then, in every era and phase of life I've had the privilege of experiencing, I've pre-emptively thought to myself "This won't last forever. But when it does end, I will chuckle knowing that I knew it would end and thus appreciated it to the fullest while I was still in it."

"Don't be sad it's over. Be glad it happened" If it didn't end, like a show that goes on for too long, it would have grown stale and bitter. Things must either evolve or die so that something new can rise from their ashes. Change is the only constant. I can feel it right now, a sort of tranquility, contentment, and peace on agora. However when it does end, maybe not the website per-say, but this particular community in this particular state, I pre-emptively wish you all well in life and the next life. Cheers to this era of agora road and to the future no matter how uncomfortable it may be.

Show & Tell

I've been drafting a post (ik, even more cringe) to commemorate a long gone era of hardcore Minecraft PvP I cherished so dearly before a number of factors lead it to die out. Don't know when I will post it, but it will be here. So every few months when I feel the urge to appreciate something of the past, I'll use this thread to write an account of something that doesn't quite exist the way it used to, sort of like a show and tell. Feel free to do the same.

*Sneak peak*

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maubOeKvVDY

Virtual Cafe Awards

Xovi

The Main Delight
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for this nice thread. It makes me feel cozy.

But a long time ago, I stumbled upon this site called Whirled. It was amazing, I was like 10 to 12 years old, I had thousands of friends. I made a nice friend group that we still talk to today, but the difference is our age. We were all (12-15) me being the youngest, but we cared for each other in a familial way. I was the main bankroller of insane RP group ideas and larping groups, but when we managed to get one of our groups member count to 50+ it was fucking amazing. So many OCs battling out, people having fun, it was pure innocent fun. And then little by little the website just started dying out, everytime I clicked on "Me" I noticed the total player count would dwindle ever slightly. But that ever so slightly added up each time, it stacked on to each other. We went from 5,000 to 1,000. Once that happened, I knew the site was done for. I lost my friends, luckily I had my online ex, (yes I had an online LDR because 2012 xD Rawr Energy), we were still in good terms, I talked to her and she told me all this time they had a discord group, (this was around 2018). It wasn't until two years after that I decided to connect with them.
But it wasn't the same, whirled was just amazing. Everyone had their avatars, it was like VRchat but (2D) and the ability to make your own rooms. I will never relive the times where it was at its hay-day. But I dont want to, Its an awful thing to be addicted to nostalgia. You will never get it back, I will never go back there, but I enjoyed it. Sincerely, It was an innocent time, people say Innocent times don't exist, I just can't agree. Here I am shaming the addiction to nostalgia while ranting. Oh well.

Here's a video if you want to see how Whirled looked like.

View: https://youtu.be/WZyr9LlfebE

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for this nice thread. It makes me feel cozy.

But a long time ago, I stumbled upon this site called Whirled. It was amazing, I was like 10 to 12 years old, I had thousands of friends. I made a nice friend group that we still talk to today, but the difference is our age. We were all (12-15) me being the youngest, but we cared for each other in a familial way. I was the main bankroller of insane RP group ideas and larping groups, but when we managed to get one of our groups member count to 50+ it was fucking amazing. So many OCs battling out, people having fun, it was pure innocent fun. And then little by little the website just started dying out, everytime I clicked on "Me" I noticed the total player count would dwindle ever slightly. But that ever so slightly added up each time, it stacked on to each other. We went from 5,000 to 1,000. Once that happened, I knew the site was done for. I lost my friends, luckily I had my online ex, (yes I had an online LDR because 2012 xD Rawr Energy), we were still in good terms, I talked to her and she told me all this time they had a discord group, (this was around 2018). It wasn't until two years after that I decided to connect with them.
But it wasn't the same, whirled was just amazing. Everyone had their avatars, it was like VRchat but (2D) and the ability to make your own rooms. I will never relive the times where it was at its hay-day. But I dont want to, Its an awful thing to be addicted to nostalgia. You will never get it back, I will never go back there, but I enjoyed it. Sincerely, It was an innocent time, people say Innocent times don't exist, I just can't agree. Here I am shaming the addiction to nostalgia while ranting. Oh well.

Here's a video if you want to see how Whirled looked like.

View: https://youtu.be/WZyr9LlfebE

Yeah 2012 really was a different time. Idk if its just because of how young we were or perhaps people were more accustomed to gathering on smaller non-centralized, non-social media driven websites for fun. I feel like one of the main reasons that era is gone is the walled money making garden of smartphones and the prominence of social media teaching people the internet is a tool for making money rather than a haven for non monetizable self expression.

Every community we knew and loved would eventually die out if it didn't continually receive a recurring stream of new blood. As we get older, the kids who are in our position 10 years ago, with no responsibility and a simple yearning to explore and have fun, are finding it in completely different landscape dominated by centralization and hyper monetized corporate controlled platforms. Kinda sucks.

But i've seen a few younger people in here and smaller niche communities. It's just less than when you and I were their age. Maybe we just lived through a sweetspot in history where the internet was mainstream to grow by sucking in kids looking for something alternative but niche enough where it wasn't oversaturated by centralized hyper-monetized content.

Also, discord isn't the same fr

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
Man I feel this.

For me it's pre-wiki MMORPG culture. When people just explored the world and didn't look up optimal xp rates for everything. When rumors and mysteries couldn't be verified by a 5 second Google search. When little Easter Eggs were spread around the player base by chat instead of being compiled in a 5 minute Youtube video.

I don't really play MMOs anymore, but back in the day, Runescape and Adventure Quest were great places to just go and hang out. People would go to major cities and just chat with each other. MMOs used to really feel like digital spaces, even just walking around and talking to strangers was fun. Ironically, now that the graphics are more realistic, the spaces feel so much less real. Now it's all just people looking up the fastest way to make numbers go up. They barely even count as multiplayer any more.

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
Man I feel this.

For me it's pre-wiki MMORPG culture. When people just explored the world and didn't look up optimal xp rates for everything. When rumors and mysteries couldn't be verified by a 5 second Google search. When little Easter Eggs were spread around the player base by chat instead of being compiled in a 5 minute Youtube video.

I don't really play MMOs anymore, but back in the day, Runescape and Adventure Quest were great places to just go and hang out. People would go to major cities and just chat with each other. MMOs used to really feel like digital spaces, even just walking around and talking to strangers was fun. Ironically, now that the graphics are more realistic, the spaces feel so much less real. Now it's all just people looking up the fastest way to make numbers go up. They barely even count as multiplayer any more.
fr I was thinking about this last night. There was an element of mystery when all information wasn't readily available. So to get info and progress, you were incentivized to actually talk to people, learn from them, and form relationships. I think that's one of the main reasons the whole clan/gang culture of the internet has largely faded. People don't form groups to share knowledge and secrets with one another because all the info is out there on youtube.

There was something very special about discovering games and communities through word of mouth and many people kept in these communities because they liked being there, not because they had large presence on social media. I think someone talked about this on another thread, but having less information about things like live player-count stats may have actually been beneficial because people would pick up a game knowing nothing about it and enjoy for what it was. Bugs and glitches would become endearing parts of a games culture shared through word of mouth since the developers didn't patch games at the time. Of course that was probably different for mmorpgs but I'm guessing even then, it would have been a lot more exciting to hear about a new possible exploit through word of mouth, learn it, then teach it to others until developers eventually caught on.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
fr I was thinking about this last night. There was an element of mystery when all information wasn't readily available. So to get info and progress, you were incentivized to actually talk to people, learn from them, and form relationships. I think that's one of the main reasons the whole clan/gang culture of the internet has largely faded. People don't form groups to share knowledge and secrets with one another because all the info is out there on youtube.

There was something very special about discovering games and communities through word of mouth and many people kept in these communities because they liked being there, not because they had large presence on social media. I think someone talked about this on another thread, but having less information about things like live player-count stats may have actually been beneficial because people would pick up a game knowing nothing about it and enjoy for what is what. Bugs and glitches would become endearing parts of a games culture shared through word of mouth since the developers didn't patch games at the time. Of course that was probably different for mmorpgs but I'm guessing even then, it would have been a lot more exciting to hear about a new possible exploit through word of mouth, learn it, then teach it to others until developers eventually caught on.
I 100% agree. I don't really play all that many video games any more, but when I do I always go 100% blind. It's just more fun that way. The problem with multiplayer games is exploring the world and learning the game on your own isn't nearly as fun when everyone else is hyper optimized, leaving you behind in the dust. The game will have thousands of active players, but if you wander around looking for someone to talk to, you won't find one.

Similar thing with fan-art (or honestly, internet content in general) where it used to be fans making stuff because they liked something, or for the joys of creating something. Now that it's a valid revenue stream, it's all hyper optimized to appeal to some algorithm and gain Patreon followers. I can still just draw stuff in a sketchbook and show it to my friends, but I can't find a community of people doing that online.

Sometimes I wonder if the culture has changed or if I'm the one who's changed though. Is exploring virtual worlds less fun to me because no one else is doing it, or is it less fun because it feels like a waste of time? Am I just older, with more responsibilities and less time? Do I just not enjoy meeting new people anymore? Maybe exploring your 12th new world just isn't as fun as exploring your first.

It wouldn't be hard to make a video with my friends like the old days. For whatever reason though, we don't.

Maybe I haven't lost something I used to love, maybe I lost who I used to be.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
One website that I loved but is now gone is the old K-Zone website. K-Zone is an Australian/New Zealand magazine targeted towards young boys maybe 7-12 years old or something? It's basically just full of ads for the latest mediastuff like games, movies, TV shows, etc.
I remember distinctly the website had multiple 'islands' you would visit (click on) for various things. You could submit things like jokes, embarrassing stories, pictures, and they'd put them in the magazine; you could enter competitions and win things (and of course you need the code from the magazine). They used to have these games you could play to earn virtual credits, and of course you could do the usual things like buy your avatar clothes and items to display, but the kicker was that if you got a ton of tokens, you could buy actual things with them too, like LEGO or a scooter. That blew my fucking mind as a kid and made me want to grind to get that stuff, if only my mother would've let me...
One thing I loved was every now and then they'd feature three users a month on two dedicated pages, which showed their avatar and a little paragraph about them. I loved to do all the quizzes and test my media knowledge and then leave a comment saying my score; one day I got the latest monthly issue and was shocked to see I was featured that month. They called me something like 'quiz master' and said you could always find me smashing out quizzes on the website. I also won a competition once and received an entire book series.
One day I got the latest issue and they said that they overhauled the website, I was so excited I went on to check it out but was really disappointed. They removed almost everything that was great about it, it just looked like a regular news site with way less CSS. I lost interest in the magazine a year after that or so.
I was kinda sad when that original site went down, but I can't say that this magazine will be a huge loss when it dies, most of the pages were just advertisements, but I'm certainly glad it happened because it was a cool little thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
One website that I loved but is now gone is the old K-Zone website. K-Zone is an Australian/New Zealand magazine targeted towards young boys maybe 7-12 years old or something? It's basically just full of ads for the latest mediastuff like games, movies, TV shows, etc.
I remember distinctly the website had multiple 'islands' you would visit (click on) for various things. You could submit things like jokes, embarrassing stories, pictures, and they'd put them in the magazine; you could enter competitions and win things (and of course you need the code from the magazine). They used to have these games you could play to earn virtual credits, and of course you could do the usual things like buy your avatar clothes and items to display, but the kicker was that if you got a ton of tokens, you could buy actual things with them too, like LEGO or a scooter. That blew my fucking mind as a kid and made me want to grind to get that stuff, if only my mother would've let me...
One thing I loved was every now and then they'd feature three users a month on two dedicated pages, which showed their avatar and a little paragraph about them. I loved to do all the quizzes and test my media knowledge and then leave a comment saying my score; one day I got the latest monthly issue and was shocked to see I was featured that month. They called me something like 'quiz master' and said you could always find me smashing out quizzes on the website. I also won a competition once and received an entire book series.
One day I got the latest issue and they said that they overhauled the website, I was so excited I went on to check it out but was really disappointed. They removed almost everything that was great about it, it just looked like a regular news site with way less CSS. I lost interest in the magazine a year after that or so.
I was kinda sad when that original site went down, but I can't say that this magazine will be a huge loss when it dies, most of the pages were just advertisements, but I'm certainly glad it happened because it was a cool little thing.
That sounds so exciting and I know would have been super motivated to play the games and earn a scooter if I had a magazine like that when I was younger. So sad to see so many websites strip themselves of personality in favor of the refined minimalist professional conformity. Same with logos. Although, I do think we're beginning to a see shift, not necessarily in websites, but people gravitating toward youtubers and streamers who are less professional, less filtered, who have shitty setups, low quality production, and are overall more relatable.

I kind of want to start a magazine now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org

There was something very special about discovering games and communities through word of mouth and many people kept in these communities because they liked being there, not because they had large presence on social media. I think someone talked about this on another thread, but having less information about things like live player-count stats may have actually been beneficial because people would pick up a game knowing nothing about it and enjoy for what is what. Bugs and glitches would become endearing parts of a games culture shared through word of mouth since the developers didn't patch games at the time. Of course that was probably different for mmorpgs but I'm guessing even then, it would have been a lot more exciting to hear about a new possible exploit through word of mouth, learn it, then teach it to others until developers eventually caught on.
If you ever long for this kind of old-school experience I've had a great time on Project 1999. It's an emulated Everquest server, which still somehow pulls as many players as it did ~2002 (per server).

The wiki is good for the basics but outside that you get information by asking questions in zone, finding groups, and making friends. It's the most social experience I've had in a game in years (mostly because to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time you need the help of other classes). The population is mostly older but theres surprisingly (about 2/10 I talk to) a good amount of younger folks that just have old PCs, or are jaded WoW Classic players.

Very cozy game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
If you ever long for this kind of old-school experience I've had a great time on Project 1999. It's an emulated Everquest server, which still somehow pulls as many players as it did ~2002 (per server).

The wiki is good for the basics but outside that you get information by asking questions in zone, finding groups, and making friends. It's the most social experience I've had in a game in years (mostly because to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time you need the help of other classes). The population is mostly older but theres surprisingly (about 2/10 I talk to) a good amount of younger folks that just have old PCs, or are jaded WoW Classic players.

Very cozy game.
thx ill check it out

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
"Don't be sad it's over. Be glad it happened" If it didn't end, like a show that goes on for too long, it would have grown stale and bitter. Things must either evolve or die so that something new can rise from their ashes. Change is the only constant. I can feel it right now, a sort of tranquility, contentment, and peace on agora. However when it does end, maybe not the website per-say, but this particular community in this particular state, I pre-emptively wish you all well in life and the next life. Cheers to this era of agora road and to the future no matter how uncomfortable it may be.
This is a principle of life that modern society as a whole has lost because we have technology that can mitigate the effects of change. Cold winter coming? Central heating. Got sick? Modern medicine. Seasons changed so you cant have your favourite fruit? Global shipping network imports it from abroad. The entirety of modernity aims to minimize suffering to a point that it takes away from the meaning that stems from loss.

People are so afraid of things outside of their control happening that they would rather live a hollow, static life than one that has even the slightest bit of uncertainty. When you really look hard at the way society is, this is a problem that permeates it at every level. People are are terrified of things ending or changing or dying in a way that our ancestors did not because they accepted these things as a fact of life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cammell

Poltergeist
Reaction score
Awards
This is the least relatable thread I read

I don't have this feeling much, everything good and everything will be good

I dw about it, I know I will die and that there won't be coming back but I came here to do what I'm supposed to do

"I am what I am what I am not I will never be" to quote King Von, when I'm gone that's the way it's supposed to be

I love my calling of being a great