Dr Punp's Thanksgiving consumption study

• Thread starter Punp
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 807 times.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Hello Americans of Agora road! Dr Punp here, self proclaimed doctor from the university of life. As an English """person""" I'm deeply interested in what you eat during thanksgiving. Are there any dishes that you personally must have at thanksgiving? What do you do on a typical thanksgiving? Do you exchange gifts?

Thank you in advance and leave your sample cup in the hatch for the nurse to collect.

Virtual Cafe Awards

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
Thanksgivings traditions can be fairly varied, but here's my take:

A turkey is considered to be the standard. There are many ways to prepare it, but a deep fried turkey is a popular thing nowadays around here. Some morons decide to just dump a frozen turkey in to the deep fryer and catch their house on fire. It's a shitty day for the fire department, so I've heard. Potatoes and gravy (made from the drippings of the turkey if available) are standard. Many families do stuffing (seasoned little bread chunks traditionally stuffed in to the turkey), but my family never did. A cranberry sauce is quite traditional, but my family doesn't do that. Green bean casserole is quite popular (not a big fan personally) as well as homemade macaroni and cheese. A pumpkin pie is pretty standard for dessert, though my ex wife did a killer sweet potato pie which I prefer. Sometimes you'll see others like cheesecake or something.

To be honest, I'm not really big on traditional thanksgiving fare.

Every year, my family has a potluck and we all bring a different dish. My brother is hosting. He's somewhat religious, so I imagine grace will be said and thanks given to god and such. This year, I'm making biscuits and sausage gravy (these biscuits are not cookie like like yours, but more like what you would call scones). This is not a traditional thanksgiving dish, but a southern comfort food for sure (my grandparents were from the south). Usually, we just eat, chat, maybe have a few drinks, maybe play a game or two, and usually do the secret santa drawing for presents so we all don't have to spend a ton of money by buying everyone a gift. There are no gifts on thanksgiving. In the past, my mom would have everyone say what they were thankful for.

Some restaurants are open today and serve thanksgiving food, but they're never that good, and I don't recommend them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
-Turkey (No shit)
-Mashed Potatoes and gravy
-Corn
-Bread rolls
-Cooked Grean Beans wrapped in bacon
-Maybe some kind of casserole or hot dish
-Pumpkin roll for dessert
-Pinot Noir
-Stella Artois

Simple as, pretty standard fare for the Northern US. Southerners and minorities might have slightly different food customs for Thanksgiving. The only thing that isn't fun is the massive amount of cooking and preparing for like 20 minutes of feasting.

I've never heard of anyone doing gifts on Thanksgiving. If you have guests over its usually expected that they will bring food or wine or something to add to the meal.

This is kind of an outdated stereotype these days but generally when families get together the women all cook and prepare the food and the men and boys throw the pigskin (football) around. Also a lot of cities have parades in the morning and a lot of people watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in NYC. After the meal everyone basically falls asleep because the triptophans in the Turkey make you sleepy.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
You got the big oven-roasted burd, you got your turkey gravy for your mashed potaters and meat, green beans, stuffing, mac n cheese, yeast rolls and croissants, and ofc the traditional can of cranberry sauce from last year that no one likes or ever remembers to open. We tend to alternate between pumpkin pie and chocolate cheesecake over the years for dessert, with whipped cream. Thats the holiday for ya, something something thanks Indians for the stolen land.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly want to do away with traditional thanksgiving food. I'd rather throw on a pot of gumbo and do a crawfish boil instead. And seeing how I live in the midwest and not the south, it would actually be a lot more novel of a tradition than if I were living in Louisiana

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I honestly want to do away with traditional thanksgiving food. I'd rather throw on a pot of gumbo and do a crawfish boil instead. And seeing how I live in the midwest and not the south, it would actually be a lot more novel of a tradition than if I were living in Louisiana
Do it and report back.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Turkey and ham (also smoked beef ribs this year)
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet potatoes
Green beans
Rolls with butter
Cranberry sauce
Deviled eggs
Pinot Noir
Sweet tea
Apple pie

There's always more dishes than this but these are the essentials

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Traditional cuisine is that traditionalists will talk about giving thanks and the pilgrims and Christopher Columbus and the "woke" (i.e. well read) liberals will talk about Christopher Columbus' heinous crimes and genocidal tendencies, often referring to jesuit texts or Columbus' criminal tendencies in "the old world". hope this helps!
*leaves urine sample on the table.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Traditional cuisine is that traditionalists will talk about giving thanks and the pilgrims and Christopher Columbus and the "woke" (i.e. well read) liberals will talk about Christopher Columbus' heinous crimes and genocidal tendencies, often referring to jesuit texts or Columbus' criminal tendencies in "the old world". hope this helps!
*leaves urine sample on the table.
The first American Thanksgiving took place over a century after Columbus' death, what the hell do the two have do to with each other?

Virtual Cafe Awards