Dreamcast and Y2K Game Aesthetics

Kommando

Buibol 99
Reaction score
Awards
Man I love the Dreamcast TV, it has such a pleasant design and was a great way to close out the large amount of peripherals the Dreamcast had.

They churned out a lot of peripherals during the first year of launch, in particular add-on controllers like the gun controller, fishing controller, ascii controller, twinstick, dreameye, etc. Contrastingly, the Dreamcast TV was released around when the console's popularity was fading and I think they'd be much more widespread if they were released when more people still wanted them, there's not a lot of the TVs in circulation now. It feels like it was probably planned to release 2 years after launch but it's so unfortunate the console's popularity died down around then.

I didn't know that about the PS2 or PS3, missed out on those console generations, thanks for sharing! I feel like for a bit after the Dreamcast there was a real trend of trying to integrate independent social networking and internet browsers into consoles. I don't think it ever really stuck but it's fun to see what they tried and how it affected people. That info about the military is really funny.
The Dreamcast was the last console that made games with arcade philosophy while the rest of the 6th generation transitioned to making games fleshed out and longer. It also wasn't the first console to do online play or have a dashboard, it was Meganet for the Genesis which was only released in Japan and Brazil which failed because of the high price and primitive function. Sega tried their hand at some sort of online play with every console they had onward with limited but notable success, Sega took a lot of dares and innovations they never got recgonized for and have been relegated as Nintendon't's rival who made Sonic. Microsoft made a custom version of Windows CE for the Dreamcast to port PC games easier and the Dreamcast finally made a sufficient online service and Microsoft filled the hole where the Dreamcast fell off, the two companies had a partnership shortly after Sega pulled out of the hardware market too.

There was a also third-party network adapter called XBAND made for the SNES, Genesis and Saturn that supported a lot of games for the time and the most extensive of online console gaming counting all three platforms until Xbox Live and PS2 Net Play. You could use the dial-up tones to make a long-distance call at the expense of Catapult as well.

Attachments

• sega-meganet.jpg
    sega-meganet.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 94
  • XBAND.jpg
    XBAND.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Sega Channel.png
    Sega Channel.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Sega NetLink.jpg
    Sega NetLink.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Sega NetLink mouse.jpg
    Sega NetLink mouse.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 85
  • $(KGrHqUOKi8E4MSf,sTGBOPDlIf75g__0_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKi8E4MSf,sTGBOPDlIf75g__0_3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 88
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Is there any good Y2K indie game? From what I saw, CROSSNIQ+ was lackuster or it's my idea and the revival is currently very young. Also there was a Kickstarter for 90's arcade racer (First time i saw a 3d indie game) published by Nicalis but i think it cancelled and the behavior from that publisher didn't help.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all, been obsessed with Y2K era art and I think the Dreamcast is the perfect mix of Vaporwave aesthetics for that era.
Me and one other close friend were the only ones who had a Dreamcast. It was a perfect video game console.
- Shenmue
- Sega Marine Fishing (One of the best soundtracks ever produced by Sega)
- Sega Bass Fishing
- Phantasy Star online
- Power Stone
- Seaman
- 2K Sports games (Manifest Destiny - I ended up working for 2K sports :p)
- Ikaruga
- Sega GT
- Skies of Arcadia
- Jet Set Radio (Absolutely Fantastic Soundtrack
- Sega Rally Championship
- Dead or Alive
- Marvel v. Capcom
- Ecco the Dolphin (Defender of the future)
- Crazy Taxi

The list goes on and on

Attachments

• picgifs-console-dreamcast-7844146.gif
    picgifs-console-dreamcast-7844146.gif
    212.7 KB · Views: 75
Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I never even played the original PSO but I'm nostalgic for it. The visuals and especially the music were top tier.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The Dreamcast was the last console that made games with arcade philosophy while the rest of the 6th generation transitioned to making games fleshed out and longer. It also wasn't the first console to do online play or have a dashboard, it was Meganet for the Genesis which was only released in Japan and Brazil which failed because of the high price and primitive function. Sega tried their hand at some sort of online play with every console they had onward with limited but notable success, Sega took a lot of dares and innovations they never got recgonized for and have been relegated as Nintendon't's rival who made Sonic. Microsoft made a custom version of Windows CE for the Dreamcast to port PC games easier and the Dreamcast finally made a sufficient online service and Microsoft filled the hole where the Dreamcast fell off, the two companies had a partnership shortly after Sega pulled out of the hardware market too.

There was a also third-party network adapter called XBAND made for the SNES, Genesis and Saturn that supported a lot of games for the time and the most extensive of online console gaming counting all three platforms until Xbox Live and PS2 Net Play. You could use the dial-up tones to make a long-distance call at the expense of Catapult as well.
It still suprises me until today. It was the first console that made cross platform easier thanks to Windows CE platform and it had full online fuctionality with keyboard. Hope Steam Deck to be the first commercial open source console with actual computer operating system.

Virtual Cafe Awards