duckduckgo not showing 4chan/4archive results

karamuki

tired occasional traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
karamuki.neocities.org
honestly i'm really annoyed about this because hidden results is why i switched to duckduckgo in the first place.

i'm looking for an image on 4chan and usually to find such things I need to go to that 4chan archive site, however i couldn't remember the url for a brief moment (i'm pretty forgetful) so i thought to search '4chan archive' thinking i would get a website that said 4archive or something. however i dont get that. I just get 4chan and some wikipedia discussion posts. so for the hell of it i type '4chan archive >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk' knowing that some redditor out there is going to ask the same question as i do, and then my results are almost exactly the same, now with the inclusion of results by snopes debunking 4chan's hunter biden leaks. so what the duck?

so then i try '4archive' because i do remember that part of the url and lo an behold, no results for 4archive. so i give up, try yandex, and i get 4archive.org, first result. and then i realize i could have just used their reverse image search this entire time. :confusedMikasa:

later i try other '4chan + _____' search terms on duckduckgo, i get the same kind of results. then i added 'site:4chan.org' and 'site:4archive.org' and yields literally 0 results. so now i'm just disappointed and annoyed.

i'm still going to use duckduckgo for the time being as my main search engine since i don't often search 4chan related stuff, but i'm definitely going to have to expand my horizons to other engines.

img in question:
Bruhzil.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
As I understand it, DuckDuckGo uses the same index as Bing. Even if DuckDuckGo is more friendly to your interests than Microsoft they can't magically add results that aren't in that index. It would be great for more services to run independent indices but most don't as far as I know.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
archived.moe is pretty good, but it doesn't have anything before 2016. Their FAQ page lists a number of other archives that are still up. Personally, I'm in the habit of just using whatever archive 4chanX redirects to. It keeps changing and I can't remember the site off the top of my head. I remember when Foolz Fuuka was the go-to, but that site is long dead. All those posts gone, like tears in rain.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As I understand it, DuckDuckGo uses the same index as Bing. Even if DuckDuckGo is more friendly to your interests than Microsoft they can't magically add results that aren't in that index. It would be great for more services to run independent indices but most don't as far as I know.
Yeah this is it, though my understanding is that DDG also pulls verification certs or something along those lines from Google. So if Google has blacklisted (not just deprioritized) a website, it's not going to show up in DDG searches either.

The Duck is good for helping mask identity and is generally less censorious in displaying results, but as @Collision said they can't just magically create more results.

Virtual Cafe Awards

karamuki

tired occasional traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
karamuki.neocities.org
The Duck is good for helping mask identity and is generally less censorious in displaying results, but as @Collision said they can't just magically create more results.
As I understand it, DuckDuckGo uses the same index as Bing.
that helps clarifies things for me. I guess that's a misconception that I didn't realize I had with duckduckgo. I switched to it because I really didn't like having an algorithm trying to decide the best results for me, but i didn't consider indexes.

archived.moe is pretty good, but it doesn't have anything before 2016. Their FAQ page lists a number of other archives that are still up. Personally, I'm in the habit of just using whatever archive 4chanX redirects to. It keeps changing and I can't remember the site off the top of my head. I remember when Foolz Fuuka was the go-to, but that site is long dead. All those posts gone, like tears in rain.
another website for my bookmark collection.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Oddly enough while Google blacklists 8kun, DuckDuckGo does not. Would love to see a thorough breakdown of every search engine's strength, weaknesses, blacklists and algorithms one day. In this case it's definitely a blacklisted site rather than one that they merely looked over for being a small operation.

Problem is all of the mainstream search engines are too busy propping up shill journalists/propaganda news articles above all else. Search for an edgy meme only to get hit with a wave of ADL and Southern Poverty Law Center pages denouncing it with meme examples that glow.

It's not even just dedicated search engine sites doing this, it's like that on sites such as YouTube as well. They've been nerfing their results partially to push propaganda and fight perceived -isms and -phobes. Can't blame them entirely since they just seem to be following the clown world trends.

These days if you want to find interesting stuff you're better off just using personal site indexes, kind of like how Yahoo was when it first started. This is where neocities comes in clutch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Would love to see a thorough breakdown of every search engine's strength, weaknesses, blacklists and algorithms one day.
It would be very difficult to cut through the bullshit and get any real information. As far as I know, most search engines are total black boxes. Pages could be delisted for any number of legitimate or illegitimate reasons and there's no real way to tell the difference without insider information. Rankings can also be manipulated in ways that are totally opaque to consumers (whether they are humans or software). I think most comparisons would amount to arguing about the mystical properties of one service versus another.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
that's interesting I just thought ddg was pozzed
Duckduckgo started openly editing their search results because of ukraine, there was a big controversy about it.
nevermind it is

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3990

archived.moe didn't even let me use the search function in certain boards when I first used it. You'd be better off using desuarchive instead.

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Duckduckgo started openly editing their search results because of ukraine, there was a big controversy about it.
I knew it. I knew it would not end with Ukraine. DDG is dead.

Virtual Cafe Awards

W1NTER

Ephemeral Cosmic Interloper
Reaction score
Awards
You could use thw Brave Search Engine. That comes with the Brave Browser. But it's a super wonky one for now. They are working on improving it but need people to use it to refine the algorithm.
I've been using Brave for quite a while and although there are some minor issues it really does do the job pretty well, it has a built in adblock and uses BAT which is pretty neat all things considered

Virtual Cafe Awards

bees

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I had this problem years ago when I used DuckDuckGo, it's made by a former Jewgle employee. Ever wonder how they can afford all these ad campaigns when they charge nothing and supposedly dont collect any data? Your best bet for search engines is Startpage or an instance of Searx.

Virtual Cafe Awards

power gem

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
DDG has always sucked, it's as useless as google for finding non-normie stuff and when you  do want to search for normie shit it's bad at that too. i used kagi for a while and liked it but i didn't want to pay for it. oh well who needs search engines anyway, I only use the same 5 websites most of the time

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I really prefer to run my own local instance of SearxNG, but when I can't (but still want a wider net of search results), I use one of the public instances at https://searx.space/
Also, Firefox allows you to use the @ symbol to search with a specific engine. I usually add in some mix of, GitHub, Odysee, Yandex, Invidious, Youtube, Mankier, Arch Wiki, Wiby, Marginalia, Startpage, Brave, and a public instance of SearXNG.

Virtual Cafe Awards