infamous witness

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalbipolart.neocities.org
should be interesting to see if this materializes

Attachments

• oitixion on Twitter_ _@backtolife_2022 https___t.co_bHIiNAQr1o_ _ Twitter — Mozilla Firefox 3_...png
    oitixion on Twitter_ _@backtolife_2022 https___t.co_bHIiNAQr1o_ _ Twitter — Mozilla Firefox 3_...png
    199.3 KB · Views: 423
Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
I have no idea what to think of Elon Musk. My curiosity is peaked simply because I am interested in seeing a legitimate competitor to Twitter that isn't just some weird fringe right-wing containment zone. I wouldn't use it, but at this point anything would be better than Twitter right?...Right?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Warii

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't use it, but at this point anything would be better than Twitter right?...Right?
The only trustworthy possible competition for twitter would have to be something made by a non-billionare, like someone outside the big tech bubble. Like if Agora was made into a social media site. I think if Elon does go through with it he'll make a Instagram clone then crack down on free speech once hes gained a user base.

Then again anything to keep Twitteroids off Agora and other sites is a god send even if it turns out to be cringe

Virtual Cafe Awards
The only trustworthy possible competition for twitter would have to be something made by a non-billionare, like someone outside the big tech bubble. Like if Agora was made into a social media site. I think if Elon does go through with it he'll make a Instagram clone then crack down on free speech once hes gained a user base.

Then again anything to keep Twitteroids off Agora and other sites is a god send even if it turns out to be cringe
The more intense focus of attention an idea gets, the more wealth it draws onto itself. There is nothing wrong with that, and it is not an avoidable event either when it gets to that point and surpasses that threshold. Consider this: the virtual Agora Road forum is a gem in today's framework, maintained by few people compared to how many could actually participate. At this state, it can be molded into whatever form we want it to take, and it can have a self-declared identity that can change at any moment. It is basically a passion project, for now - but the more recognised (and therefore more diversely used) the forum gets, the more people's needs it will try to serve on one plate. Now, we could say that it can remain adamant at operating on core values that should not be changed throughout time, but that only would be the gate opposing it's growth in populace, as it will not be sufficient for every user. I have a feeling that this forum can work and represent freedom the most harmonically in it's current state, before it can grow great enough to get involved larger amounts of business interest and begin recieving treatment as being more important than freedom in self-expression.

Virtual Cafe Awards

hyprstorm

devils advocate
Reaction score
Awards
should be interesting to see if this materializes
hey guys, I am actually elon musk, and have been lurking here for a while. thanks for all the ideas for my new form of social media, "SocialX."

if you contact any news outlets and claim I stole your ideas I will have my Lawyer Militia litigate you into hell.

thanks,
Elona

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Anything that isn't Elon funding billions of dollars to assure that people can post literally whatever they want whenever they want is gay virtue signaling to "muh free speech" crowds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It would 100% be populated by Elon Musk fedora fanboys. If you've seen them on Twitter, you know they are almost as bad as the tranny-posters. Hard pass imo, we need to cut down social media and not just have a slightly different platform which will still be basically the same aside from not banning people with the "wrong" views.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
hey guys, I am actually elon musk, and have been lurking here for a while. thanks for all the ideas for my new form of social media, "SocialX."

if you contact any news outlets and claim I stole your ideas I will have my Lawyer Militia litigate you into hell.

thanks,
Elona
good morning sir please send bitcoin now please sir

we need to cut down social media and not just have a slightly different platform which will still be basically the same aside from not banning people with the "wrong" views.
In a way though, maybe more social media could work to fix things a bit. Early internet had plenty of niche/focused forums that kept people in their own lanes. Twitter is such a shit show because you can have hoodlums, grandmothers, furries and teenage marxists all occupying the same digital space aimlessly until they are told to get mad at each other/defend astroturfed trends on the site.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

It might be somewhat better than twitter. He might help combat the lack of free speech online but even if free speech is restored it wouldn't matter. Social media made people so attached to their opinions that one is now limited to where they can go (economically) depending on what views they hold. Just quit social media.

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
A huge part of the problem is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to create a social media platform that both contributes something new in terms of value AND would be useable for the average person. This is why the only success stories in recent years have been Substack and TikTok - they both offered a new user experience. All the others have basically pitched themselves as:

"Hey guys! We're a clone of [twitter/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk/facebook] but without the [censorship/mods]!"

All that does is, at best, attract the users of the cloned platform that have been deemed undesirable by the largest plurality on that platform. Everything on the internet is zero-sum meaning that, unfortunately, an eccentric, pro-free speech billionaire buying their way into control of an existing popular platform is the most likely way to reduce censorship.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GhostCow

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
A huge part of the problem is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to create a social media platform that both contributes something new in terms of value AND would be useable for the average person. This is why the only success stories in recent years have been Substack and TikTok - they both offered a new user experience. All the others have basically pitched themselves as:

"Hey guys! We're a clone of [twitter/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk/facebook] but without the [censorship/mods]!"

All that does is, at best, attract the users of the cloned platform that have been deemed undesirable by the largest plurality on that platform. Everything on the internet is zero-sum meaning that, unfortunately, an eccentric, pro-free speech billionaire buying their way into control of an existing popular platform is the most likely way to reduce censorship.
Tik Tok didn't do anything new. It's literally just Vine. I have no idea how relaunching it under a new name made it come back and last this long. I think it's been popular for longer than Vine was at this point.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Tik Tok didn't do anything new. It's literally just Vine. I have no idea how relaunching it under a new name made it come back and last this long. I think it's been popular for longer than Vine was at this point.
There is a real functional difference from Vine in the sharing of audio and the memetic nature of it. This comes from Musical.ly originally, which merged with Tik Tok before it took off. I think the feature adds a new layer to Vine as it really encourages engagement and trends, which push people to create and consume more content. There is a reason all the kids use Tic Tok and not Clash (which is literally Vine2).

The big corporate difference -- which I think has played an even bigger part in the comparative success -- is that Tic Tok/Bytedance is Chinese and launched many years later. This gives them a different business model, which is collecting and selling huge amounts of data, making it much more profitable. Twitter really struggled to monetize Vine which is why it shut down, Tik Toc doesn't have that same concern.

Virtual Cafe Awards