Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
A short recap of Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter

>shitpost speculations on stock prices for internet clout, causing the prices to swing wildly
>get in trouble for this and be told that there will be legal ramifications if he continues
>continue to make shitposts of even bigger scale, says he'll buy twitter as a joke
>his lawyers inform him he is now legally obligated to attempt to buy twitter
>doesn't have enough money so he is forced to take out a massive loan that will be difficult to pay back even for him
>the minute he gets in starts firing people for the most absolute pants-on-head retarded reasons
>has no one competent enough to replace the people he fired
>makes a speech about why he bought twitter that's so ridiculously over the top it sounds like it was written by a gundam villain
>advertisers start quitting the platform en masse cause they're seeing the writing on the wall
>unable to convince them to return despite multiple meetings with their higher-ups
>decides to take a feature meant to prevent impersonation and sell it for $20 a pop
>grovel publicly before Stephen King when he refuses to pay for it and lowers the price to $8 a pop
>bots, spam accounts, and people running scams all up massively
>Twitter is losing over a million dollars a day with nothing to show for it
>Musk probably still believes he did nothing wrong

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
Have any of you seen what happened with Eli Lilly? I'll summarize with two pictures

elilillypt1.jpg
elilillypt2.PNG

To elaborate, someone paid the $8 to put a blue checkmark on a fake account impersonating Eli Lilly, the company that controls distribution of insulin in the US. Insulin as a drug was specifically not patented by its inventor because he wanted it to remain accessible to everyone who needs it, but Eli Lilly charges exorbitant amounts for a drug that's actually rather cheap to manufacture. Seriously, look up the price of insulin in every other country, it's ridiculous.
The lasting effects:
elilillypt3.jpg

People are guessing there's going to be some kind of lawsuit surrounding this, because Eli Lilly isn't the only one this has happened to, it just happened to be the biggest one.
Aside from that, at least half of Twitter's biggest advertisers have pulled all ads from the site, many of their key figures in running the site have resigned, and there are whispers of a variety of lawsuits from a whole bunch of people, including the FTC.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SalHeim

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
Awards
Website
web.archive.org
man this thread is funny
elon musk bootlickers are genuinely the dumbest motherfuckers with access to the internet
YASSSS KANG RELEGATE BLUE CHECKMARK OF UNWARRANTED SELF-IMPORTANCE FROM CELEBS, DUMBASS JOURNALISTS AND ATTENTION WHORES TO ATTENTION WHORES WITH MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS, THIS WILL SURELY OWN THE LIBS!!!1 :SoyChamp2:

TWITTER IS FREE BECAUSE WE CAN NOW SAY LE NIGWORD, TRULY BABYLON IS CRUMBLING!

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I wonder which is going to happen:
  • Twitter's value plummets to where Musk eventually sells it for peanuts (not likely given his ego), new owners fix all the damage and everyone returns to it
  • Former owners use this opportunity to create a new site that manages to be even worse than Twitter, everyone flocks to it
  • Enough people join the Fediverse to start a renaissance of decentralized/federated services, meaning Musk (accidentally) did something good for once
  • The previous one, but everyone just spreads across a handful of instances, giving their owners significant control of the internet
  • People just give up on social media entirely (lolyeahright)

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
We need more corpo shit like musk running social medias to kill them, truly a plutocratic accelerationism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
Have any of you seen what happened with Eli Lilly? I'll summarize with two pictures

View attachment 43505View attachment 43506

To elaborate, someone paid the $8 to put a blue checkmark on a fake account impersonating Eli Lilly, the company that controls distribution of insulin in the US. Insulin as a drug was specifically not patented by its inventor because he wanted it to remain accessible to everyone who needs it, but Eli Lilly charges exorbitant amounts for a drug that's actually rather cheap to manufacture. Seriously, look up the price of insulin in every other country, it's ridiculous.
The lasting effects:
View attachment 43507

People are guessing there's going to be some kind of lawsuit surrounding this, because Eli Lilly isn't the only one this has happened to, it just happened to be the biggest one.
Aside from that, at least half of Twitter's biggest advertisers have pulled all ads from the site, many of their key figures in running the site have resigned, and there are whispers of a variety of lawsuits from a whole bunch of people, including the FTC.
I think Twitter is in a shitstorm rn, but man, that was such a Chad move.
Also, how can insulin be controlled by a single company if it is patent-free? Can anyone explain it to me?

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
  • Twitter's value plummets to where Musk eventually sells it for peanuts (not likely given his ego), new owners fix all the damage and everyone returns to it
Well it is supposedly super easy to make your own Twitter alternative, I mean after all that's what Twitter defenders have said for over a decade now...

• Enough people join the Fediverse to start a renaissance of decentralized/federated services, meaning Musk (accidentally) did something good for once
For the longest time I thought the main woes of the modern web were a result of the structure of it (highly centralized social media) but as time has gone on I've realized it's more so the people who comprise it, mainly the "normies" if you will. I sincerely hope they stick to the shitholes they dwell in rather than exodus into other communities that formed in spite of them.

I don't think the people complaining about Twitter are going to quit the site, let alone social media in general. They're legitimately addicted to the dopamine and false sense of importance it grants.

View attachment 43505View attachment 43506

The lasting effects:
View attachment 43507

Shitposters once again proving to be the most powerful beings on earth. Just hoping the lawsuit gets directed towards Twitter rather than the individual poster who made the account.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
man this thread is funny
elon musk bootlickers are genuinely the dumbest motherfuckers with access to the internet
I think there are four distinct camps in this shitshow. Firstly you have the journo class who is infuriated their hugbox is being set on fire by a crazed Boer. Secondly you have the HackerNews techbros who think Elon is the Christ of technology and who really truly believe he will make twitter a better place. Thirdly, you have people who think Musk actually has their back and think there's some master Qanon tier plan to save free speech on the Internet and that being nearly court-ordered to take on billions in debt is a 12-D chess move that will result in the U.S. Supreme Court overturning the 2020 election and installing Trump as God Emperor. Finally you have my group, which truly hates twitter and thinks it has severely damaged the Internet and society writ large, who thinks the first three groups are fun to meme on, and relish the idea of twitter going out in a blaze of fake verified Joe Biden accounts talking about masturbating in the oval office. The public phone call he had with the ad federation was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long, long time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Well it is supposedly super easy to make your own Twitter alternative, I mean after all that's what Twitter defenders have said for over a decade now...

For the longest time I thought the main woes of the modern web were a result of the structure of it (highly centralized social media) but as time has gone on I've realized it's more so the people who comprise it, mainly the "normies" if you will. I sincerely hope they stick to the shitholes they dwell in rather than exodus into other communities that formed in spite of them.

I don't think the people complaining about Twitter are going to quit the site, let alone social media in general. They're legitimately addicted to the dopamine and false sense of importance it grants.

Shitposters once again proving to be the most powerful beings on earth. Just hoping the lawsuit gets directed towards Twitter rather than the individual poster who made the account.
Well, I think they feed into each other. The structure of these sites attract awful people, and the awful people attract nasty organizations and/or individuals who see them as easy-to-manipulate cattle.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
Whatever u think of the situation, I think the social media space has needed some event like this for a while. Everything needs chaos to shake things up a bit lest they settle. And in the case of these social media sites, they seem to have found the sauce that works for the time being and just focus on making it as monetizable as possible not really allowing for the messiness that leads to change.

I don't want to make a judgement about elon, but his unhinged rampage at twitter makes me feel like there are developments happening in a much too stable mainstream social media space. People discovering mastadon, for once considering moving to other sites, h3h3 getting perma banned, tumblr selling two checkmarks for 7.99 etc. It feels somewhat reminiscent of the chaotic wild-west energy of emerging social media sites 10-15 yrs ago.

It's not as profitable to be chaotic in an industry as mature as this one. But it's certainly way more exciting.
And it gives us something to look back at when remembering fall of 2022.

Virtual Cafe Awards