Virtual Cafe Awards

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
I really think that the main issues here are the following:
1. People are so mindnumbed by the fact that there is some drama going on on twitter that they don't realize that the big sphere of thing will remain unaltered. People will still mindlessly follow whatever social media is trending, whether it is twitter or not.
2. The worrying degree to which people have come to expect messianic figures: "there is this good guy who will come and save us from the bad guys".

Virtual Cafe Awards

SalHeim

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
Awards
Website
web.archive.org
I really think that the main issues here are the following:
1. People are so mindnumbed by the fact that there is some drama going on on twitter that they don't realize that the big sphere of thing will remain unaltered. People will still mindlessly follow whatever social media is trending, whether it is twitter or not.
2. The worrying degree to which people have come to expect messianic figures: "there is this good guy who will come and save us from the bad guys".
Truly, there are no heroes left in man!

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: wot

SalHeim

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
Awards
Website
web.archive.org
Good things Elon has done for Twitter:
  • Euthanize it
  • Dab on H3H3productions
You still can't lurk anything beyond individual tweets without an account, the carcinogenic, collectivist brainrot is still too entrenched within the general site culture for any reasonable moderate/apoliticals who neither produce nor consume usermade content (art, film, etc.) to entertain the idea of using it, and his mere ownership alone comes with a flood of impotent anger free of charge. What're they gonna do, fuck off to plebbit?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Good things Elon has done for Twitter:
  • Euthanize it
  • Dab on H3H3productions
You still can't lurk anything beyond individual tweets without an account, the carcinogenic, collectivist brainrot is still too entrenched within the general site culture for any reasonable moderate/apoliticals who neither produce nor consume usermade content (art, film, etc.) to entertain the idea of using it, and his mere ownership alone comes with a flood of impotent anger free of charge. What're they gonna do, fuck off to plebbit?

I'm too tired to be even awake for this shit but my brain would still make snarks regardless.

Twitter is not dying nor is it going away. Stop pretending that it's going to be. Twitter dropping numbers is not new. It hasn't been new since 2017 and will bounce back in numbers. People will still be drawn to using twitter whether you like that or not. Sure I'm not a fan of the forced "REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW THIS J_PEG OF A IMAGE HERE" either. Thankfully @SolidStateSurvivor has shared us a plugin that I'll link so the site would be tolerable for you. Here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Also, how can insulin be controlled by a single company if it is patent-free? Can anyone explain it to me?
It's not, you can buy generic insulin for cheaper if you want.
Not sure on the exact cost per month/year since how much you need varies from person to person, but a vial of insulin can be as cheap as 35$ and a quick internet search has the yearly average at something like 2500$ a year from 2017 data. Considering that most people who need insulin need it due to their own bad eating habits, the cheapest option to cut the cost out of their life would be to lose weight.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SalHeim

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
Awards
Website
web.archive.org
I'm too tired to be even awake for this shit but my brain would still make snarks regardless.

Twitter is not dying nor is it going away. Stop pretending that it's going to be. Twitter dropping numbers is not new. It hasn't been new since 2017 and will bounce back in numbers. People will still be drawn to using twitter whether you like that or not. Sure I'm not a fan of the forced "REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW THIS J_PEG OF A IMAGE HERE" either. Thankfully @SolidStateSurvivor has shared us a plugin that I'll link so the site would be tolerable for you. Here.

unknown.png

>People will still be drawn to using twitter whether you like that or not.
He went back on the 8$ checkmark and whole "free speech" (realDonaldTrump is still banned), and has the advertisers and ADL salty alike. Users aren't the numbers twitter should be primarily concerned about, but revenue.

Simping for one king over another will always be folly.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
I never knew how many religious idiots were on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk until their subs got banned and they flocked to conspiracy. Now instead of fun stories like Diana slept with a lizard and popped out William, it's full of BILL GATES HAS THE MARK OF THE BEAST.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I think there are four distinct camps in this shitshow. Firstly you have the journo class who is infuriated their hugbox is being set on fire by a crazed Boer. Secondly you have the HackerNews techbros who think Elon is the Christ of technology and who really truly believe he will make twitter a better place. Thirdly, you have people who think Musk actually has their back and think there's some master Qanon tier plan to save free speech on the Internet and that being nearly court-ordered to take on billions in debt is a 12-D chess move that will result in the U.S. Supreme Court overturning the 2020 election and installing Trump as God Emperor. Finally you have my group, which truly hates twitter and thinks it has severely damaged the Internet and society writ large, who thinks the first three groups are fun to meme on, and relish the idea of twitter going out in a blaze of fake verified Joe Biden accounts talking about masturbating in the oval office. The public phone call he had with the ad federation was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long, long time.
I shill Musk because he makes all people I dislike mad.

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
Also, how can insulin be controlled by a single company if it is patent-free? Can anyone explain it to me?
I'm not from the US, nor am I an expert in this field, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
From I understand, they make slight changes to the original formula, then patent the new formula, and then any attempts at manufacturing another version by another company has to avoid copying those changes. Additionally, the process of getting a new one approved takes way longer than other drugs. They also control the manufacturing in the US, so unless someone comes along and can afford to set up a whole new manufacturer...
There have actually been cheaper versions of insulin in the past, but they've been bought by the bigger companies and their prices raised. There's no price cap on it either, so companies can just raise the price whenever.
As for why they can't just make it based on the original formula, I don't know. There's probably more reading to be done here but I feel that the issue would be more effectively solved by capping the price rather than just constantly making new versions that will eventually get bought and the price raised.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not from the US, nor am I an expert in this field, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
From I understand, they make slight changes to the original formula, then patent the new formula, and then any attempts at manufacturing another version by another company has to avoid copying those changes. Additionally, the process of getting a new one approved takes way longer than other drugs. They also control the manufacturing in the US, so unless someone comes along and can afford to set up a whole new manufacturer...
There have actually been cheaper versions of insulin in the past, but they've been bought by the bigger companies and their prices raised. There's no price cap on it either, so companies can just raise the price whenever.
As for why they can't just make it based on the original formula, I don't know. There's probably more reading to be done here but I feel that the issue would be more effectively solved by capping the price rather than just constantly making new versions that will eventually get bought and the price raised.
Just make price gouging insulin punishable by diabetes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
You're looking for Pharmaceutical Benefits Managers. They are the in-between for Pharma and Insurance.

PBMs decide which medications can be covered by insurance, which doctors are covered, and what types of care can be administered for specific pathologies. PBM can deny your treatment even if you're years in. PBM have decided that the only insulin in their coverage circle is a specific set of branded products from Eli Lilly, which means the hospitals, doctors, pharmacy chains and insurance providers have to procure that exact product to server the insured patients. And many backroom deals that result in decisions like this also add stipulations for pharmacy chains and hospitals, where they will decide to only stock Eli Lilly's insulin, for example.

Until the Nixon era, the medical industry could not even make a profit, as they were seen as a human interest good. The addition of insurance turned into a full on scam.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
You're looking for Pharmaceutical Benefits Managers. They are the in-between for Pharma and Insurance.

PBMs decide which medications can be covered by insurance, which doctors are covered, and what types of care can be administered for specific pathologies. PBM can deny your treatment even if you're years in. PBM have decided that the only insulin in their coverage circle is a specific set of branded products from Eli Lilly, which means the hospitals, doctors, pharmacy chains and insurance providers have to procure that exact product to server the insured patients. And many backroom deals that result in decisions like this also add stipulations for pharmacy chains and hospitals, where they will decide to only stock Eli Lilly's insulin, for example.

Until the Nixon era, the medical industry could not even make a profit, as they were seen as a human interest good. The addition of insurance turned into a full on scam.
Insurance itself is a scam. It was originally brought about during the Golden Age of Piracy where a cargo ship had a very high likelihood of being raided and the cargo damaged, stolen, or destroyed. So this was a way to mitigate the losses and maintain imperial and corporate profit margins, since shutting down resource exploitation in these regions, especially the very lucrative slave trade, was unacceptable to the nobility and financial elite. (In some regions such as the Caribbean it still got almost completely shut down regardless due to how successful pirates were, especially from absolute gigachad captains like Black Bart, he literally did nothing wrong)

Nowadays it's required by law in a lot of countries that you have to have insurance for things you will in all likelihood never need insurance for. It's basically just taxation, but called something else. Pure fraud.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I never knew how many religious idiots were on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk until their subs got banned and they flocked to conspiracy.
The overwhelming majority of people have always had a god-shaped hole in their hearts, only difference now is they don't fill it with organized religion anymore. At best they end up as sports fanatics, at worst they end up as the (now old school) blue checks.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Have any of you seen what happened with Eli Lilly? I'll summarize with two pictures

View attachment 43505View attachment 43506

To elaborate, someone paid the $8 to put a blue checkmark on a fake account impersonating Eli Lilly, the company that controls distribution of insulin in the US. Insulin as a drug was specifically not patented by its inventor because he wanted it to remain accessible to everyone who needs it, but Eli Lilly charges exorbitant amounts for a drug that's actually rather cheap to manufacture. Seriously, look up the price of insulin in every other country, it's ridiculous.
The lasting effects:
View attachment 43507

People are guessing there's going to be some kind of lawsuit surrounding this, because Eli Lilly isn't the only one this has happened to, it just happened to be the biggest one.
Aside from that, at least half of Twitter's biggest advertisers have pulled all ads from the site, many of their key figures in running the site have resigned, and there are whispers of a variety of lawsuits from a whole bunch of people, including the FTC.
As funny as it would be to blame this on shitposters I read somewhere that Eli Lilly was involved in a lawsuit right before that tweet went out and that's the main reason why the stock price dropped

Virtual Cafe Awards