Energetic Chaos and The Falling Powers that be.

whitematrix

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hello my dear friends! This is my first post here.

Probably all of you know to a point what is happening in the world right now. I have my own view on this, but I like to view others opinions on the matter as it only enriches the general scheme of things.

So, my question is:
----- What will happen in the near future? Give me your best shot---

Knowing we have:
- we have a proxy World War of Russia (and probably light participation of China) vs the USA.
- a crazy energetic crisis caused by the war but also buy private interests in Europe.
- hyperinflation in the EU, US and Africa (this one agravated by hunger).
- the demise of the Chinese empire due to the imminent bankrupcy of Evergrande, drought and coin collapse as commerce declined.
- the demise of the USDollar based on hyperinflation associated with a non existent political government.
- the paper of cryptocurrencies and CBDCs in all this, specially considering an economic and energetic crisis.

Give it to me!

Love,
D.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
As long as the US controls OPEC and major choke points like the Suez, Panama, and Malacca, I don't think the dollar will undergo hyperinflation. To start hyperinflation a currency has to be actually worthless, and even if there's high inflation there'll always be enough demand for the dollar to keep it out of hyperinflation.

Virtual Cafe Awards

whitematrix

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
As long as the US controls OPEC and major choke points like the Suez, Panama, and Malacca, I don't think the dollar will undergo hyperinflation. To start hyperinflation a currency has to be actually worthless, and even if there's high inflation there'll always be enough demand for the dollar to keep it out of hyperinflation.
I actually think the US are pushing the bar against China. It's probably the only they'll be able to save the USD. The latest traverse of Malacca is an indicator of that.

Yes, you're correct regarding hyperinflation, was a misuse of the term.

Then, if we have a US-China War, I think the world economy will either collapse or mutate, as it will certainly end with both being destroyed.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I actually think the US are pushing the bar against China. It's probably the only they'll be able to save the USD. The latest traverse of Malacca is an indicator of that.

Yes, you're correct regarding hyperinflation, was a misuse of the term.

Then, if we have a US-China War, I think the world economy will either collapse or mutate, as it will certainly end with both being destroyed.
The "global" world right now feels like it has 50 different time bombs set around it, but the clocks are hidden and everyone's just waiting to see which of the bombs goes off first.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
OPEC is making itself independent from the US and forming its own alliances expecting US collapse. The petrodollar is already under threat considering countries are willing to trade in their own currencies and the Saudis are blowing the US off.

The "global" world right now feels like it has 50 different time bombs set around it, but the clocks are hidden and everyone's just waiting to see which of the bombs goes off first.
This is the only correct answer to a thread like this. The Chinese housing crisis, US dollar falling, hyperinflation, ammonia + food shortages, ongoing supply chain disruptions, Taiwan, Israeli Lebanese border disputes, Iranian Israeli nuclear disputes. There are a million things going on not including ongoing crises that could lead to global instability and nobody knows which one will burst the bubble,

Virtual Cafe Awards

whitematrix

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The thing is, how can a desperate economy (and state-security) obsessed country like the US react?

At this point I'm seeing we're counting down the seconds to a bright mushroom view. And Europe will go to ashes.

The multipolar world is going to happen and is likely the healthiest one. The reign of the US created more problems than the ones solved.

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I recommend checking out Gail Tverberg's Our Finite World blog and John Michael Greer's Ecosophia blog to see some of the people who have been consistently calling things correctly the last few decades. Tverberg's central thesis is that per capita energy consumption has peaked and we are now on the downslope due to the end of easily obtained fossil fuels, and that fossil fuels are irreplaceable in our global system. Greer describes this downslope through a process he calls catabolic collapse, in which a system in descent consumes itself on the way down, and how this manifests in society. We are running into the fundamental limits of consumption and fusion/alternative energy have hit dead ends. Our government didn't just start caring about carbon dioxide pollution all of the sudden. The USA is THE oil empire. It's fortune and destiny is tied to the stuff. The readily available fossil fuels are extracted, and downstream investment isn't happening because the price required to pump it is too high to sustain our economy as it is presently structured. We are entering the endgame, where the only option in which the current crop of elites retain power is to crush the per capita energy consumption of competitor states in order to raise their own. Otherwise, they become victims of decreasing energy availability through the work of angry mobs watching their standard of living fall off a cliff. Kicking the can is not working anymore. New fracking plays aren't happening. I wish the peaceful path of empire consolidation and downsizing were viable options, but unfortunately the powers that be and their hangers-on have too much inertia and backing down is suicide for the elites. At this point, any sort of projection is impossible because there are too many points of failure about to snap. Which one will go first? I think in 6 months to a year it will be much easier to project what will happen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I don't have an "realist" answer, but I can tell you about an "absolute worst scenario" I calculated:

• People somehow become even more tech illiterate. People with a decent amount of computer knowledge get branded as hackers by the common people. Multiple innocent software developpers get jailed for "unothorized use of computers".
  • People are required to only post "objective" information on social media due to new laws. As the type of centent shift, finding anything else other than news and mainstream stuff become increasingly difficult.
  • Wearing a badge displaying your (binary) political aligments is now a requirement in the public spaces and workplaces. This lead to further tribalism.
  • Economic over-competition reaches ridiculous level. People that have no post-high school degree are now forbidden to work until they take a special "enrichment" course.
  • Buying a house become straight up impossible unless you are extremly rich. Even the cheapest appartment is now out of your reach.
  • Cost of living reach unheard heights, triple as it is now.
  • It is no longer possible to climb the corportate ladder without specific degree due to new laws, hard-locking you in your current ste.
  • There is a civil war, a plague and a famine at the same time in multiple countries.
  • Water start running out thanks to climate change. Countries invade each others for natural ressources.
  • Any remaining religious communities left are forcibly disbanded by the governement as "society need to move foward". Social gathering are now permenantly forbidden aside for some "official context" as it is seen as a health risk.
  • Net neutrality get fully abolished. All ISP must now only serve you acess to specific sities - mostly mainstream social media and website approved by your local governement. Everything else can no longer be reached.
  • The internet is now divided into "paid packages" much like TV.
  • People can now be fired for any reason the employer wish.
  • VR Reach a point where it can directly implement dreams in your head - leading to hyper realistic simulations.
  • Most people get heavily addicted to advanced VR technology.
  • People get addicted to AI relationship. As a result, real relationship get tossed aside as it seen as too risky and bothersome.
  • People are now judged by an algorithm using some a social score system. This affect every facet of your life, such as the availability of jobs.
  • Adopting extremist ideologies is now the norm. You are perceived as weirdo if you do not blindly believe in something. All opinions and view are treated as equal, no matter how dangerous or crazy they are. It is not uncommon to see people proudly declaring themseolves as Nazis IRL.
  • Due to futher isolation, people become more utilitarian and trust no one by default. Being friendly is perceived as naive. You are expected to behave and think like a computer. The values of past has been overturned, you must embrace progress and move foward.
  • Everytthing becomes on the cloud, including software. Windows 15 is now just a client that connect to a Microsoft server somewhere. The use of open-source software has been made illegal.
  • Owning physical books is now illegal. All you have now is ebook in some obscure proprietary format on the cloud.
  • Library have been dismantled to not entice people to seek physical book. All is for the environment. Those who like physical books seek to deforest our world.
  • People partake in politics but refuse to vote, as it is only something reserved for the worthy. Everyone is busy arguing about who is worthy though.
  • Preservation is illegal. Those who seek things of the past are blinded by nostalgia. Nothing shall be eternal, as society must continue to march foward. There is no constant, only change.
I highly doubt that such a world described would happens but this was a fun thought experiment.

koreatis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't have an "realist" answer, but I can tell you about an "absolute worst scenario" I calculated:

• People somehow become even more tech illiterate. People with a decent amount of computer knowledge get branded as hackers by the common people. Multiple innocent software developpers get jailed for "unothorized use of computers".
  • People are required to only post "objective" information on social media due to new laws. As the type of centent shift, finding anything else other than news and mainstream stuff become increasingly difficult.
  • Wearing a badge displaying your (binary) political aligments is now a requirement in the public spaces and workplaces. This lead to further tribalism.
  • Economic over-competition reaches ridiculous level. People that have no post-high school degree are now forbidden to work until they take a special "enrichment" course.
  • Buying a house become straight up impossible unless you are extremly rich. Even the cheapest appartment is now out of your reach.
  • Cost of living reach unheard heights, triple as it is now.
  • It is no longer possible to climb the corportate ladder without specific degree due to new laws, hard-locking you in your current ste.
  • There is a civil war, a plague and a famine at the same time in multiple countries.
  • Water start running out thanks to climate change. Countries invade each others for natural ressources.
  • Any remaining religious communities left are forcibly disbanded by the governement as "society need to move foward". Social gathering are now permenantly forbidden aside for some "official context" as it is seen as a health risk.
  • Net neutrality get fully abolished. All ISP must now only serve you acess to specific sities - mostly mainstream social media and website approved by your local governement. Everything else can no longer be reached.
  • The internet is now divided into "paid packages" much like TV.
  • People can now be fired for any reason the employer wish.
  • VR Reach a point where it can directly implement dreams in your head - leading to hyper realistic simulations.
  • Most people get heavily addicted to advanced VR technology.
  • People get addicted to AI relationship. As a result, real relationship get tossed aside as it seen as too risky and bothersome.
  • People are now judged by an algorithm using some a social score system. This affect every facet of your life, such as the availability of jobs.
  • Adopting extremist ideologies is now the norm. You are perceived as weirdo if you do not blindly believe in something. All opinions and view are treated as equal, no matter how dangerous or crazy they are. It is not uncommon to see people proudly declaring themseolves as Nazis IRL.
  • Due to futher isolation, people become more utilitarian and trust no one by default. Being friendly is perceived as naive. You are expected to behave and think like a computer. The values of past has been overturned, you must embrace progress and move foward.
  • Everytthing becomes on the cloud, including software. Windows 15 is now just a client that connect to a Microsoft server somewhere. The use of open-source software has been made illegal.
  • Owning physical books is now illegal. All you have now is ebook in some obscure proprietary format on the cloud.
  • Library have been dismantled to not entice people to seek physical book. All is for the environment. Those who like physical books seek to deforest our world.
  • People partake in politics but refuse to vote, as it is only something reserved for the worthy. Everyone is busy arguing about who is worthy though.
  • Preservation is illegal. Those who seek things of the past are blinded by nostalgia. Nothing shall be eternal, as society must continue to march foward. There is no constant, only change.
I highly doubt that such a world described would happens but this was a fun thought experiment.
I have to say with current pace of worldly politics, most of your statements might happen in let's say 10 years. Definitely the ones that include technology/hardware/software usage because the hard problems of software creation lay deep inside the low level structures or we might see downgrade of technology because people who have knowledge how things work might be dead or they won't care anymore to maintain the broken system. I mean look how all the apps are structure, it is mostly all the same things with different frameworks. In terms of energy usage I think our civilisation need to create private company that can deliver nuclear fusion energy to power the world with such approach most countries shouldn't rely on public energy. Of course the companies that produce such resource must be manage by passionate founder who won't see only money as an end game but something more valuable, like making the world better place to live and making possibilities to move forward.

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I have to say with current pace of worldly politics, most of your statements might happen in let's say 10 years. Definitely the ones that include technology/hardware/software usage because the hard problems of software creation lay deep inside the low level structures or we might see downgrade of technology because people who have knowledge how things work might be dead or they won't care anymore to maintain the broken system.
Yeah, that's what I fear might happen. The worst things is that such laws might not even come from a place of malice, but rather pure ignorance and the common people would probably just run with it.

If say, Linux would be outlawed tomorrow, the vast majority of people would probably rejoice. To be honest, I am very suprised no one tried to outlaw open source software yet (that I am aware of).

Junious

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
In terms of energy usage I think our civilisation need to create private company that can deliver nuclear fusion energy to power the world with such approach most countries shouldn't rely on public energy. Of course the companies that produce such resource must be manage by passionate founder who won't see only money as an end game but something more valuable, like making the world better place to live and making possibilities to move forward.
I really doubt a benevolent capitalist is all of the sudden going to solve nuclear fusion. It is not currently a source of power because it is not capable of producing energy at scale. Nuclear fusion is a tremendous source of energy at stellar scales of mass, but so far cannot generate a self sustaining positive energy flow at the sub-planetary scale on which we operate. I believe the Fermi paradox suggests that mastery of the energy source of the stars is out of reach for us critters scrabbling about on the surface of planets, because if it was possible it is more likely an alien civilization utilizing fusion power would already exist and would be impossible to ignore. Perhaps the closest approach is the stored and accessible energy of stellar fusion in fossil fuels and wood. Unfortunately guys, I think we have far more to worry about than linux being outlawed. We are facing a substantial decrease in per capita energy availability for the first time in 300 years, and, barring the arrival of a techno-messiah with a new source of energy approaching the enormously dense and easily accessed power of fossil fuels, standards of living across the world must decrease. This means less access to transportation, technology, and nutritious food.

Virtual Cafe Awards

koreatis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I really doubt a benevolent capitalist is all of the sudden going to solve nuclear fusion. It is not currently a source of power because it is not capable of producing energy at scale. Nuclear fusion is a tremendous source of energy at stellar scales of mass, but so far cannot generate a self sustaining positive energy flow at the sub-planetary scale on which we operate. I believe the Fermi paradox suggests that mastery of the energy source of the stars is out of reach for us critters scrabbling about on the surface of planets, because if it was possible it is more likely an alien civilization utilizing fusion power would already exist and would be impossible to ignore. Perhaps the closest approach is the stored and accessible energy of stellar fusion in fossil fuels and wood. Unfortunately guys, I think we have far more to worry about than linux being outlawed. We are facing a substantial decrease in per capita energy availability for the first time in 300 years, and, barring the arrival of a techno-messiah with a new source of energy approaching the enormously dense and easily accessed power of fossil fuels, standards of living across the world must decrease. This means less access to transportation, technology, and nutritious food.
Correct, you know I've created the utopia world where everyone is good for each other, people don't envy accomplishments of each other and greedy thinking is erased but yes, you are right we won't see any switch to the nuclear energy any time soon. That's sad because with every year we are becoming even more unable to evolve and the disproportion between rich and poor is getting bigger and bigger. It will be very interesting time for the winter in EU and probably in US too, I am not from US so I haven't got any information how things are going out there.
i think nothing will change anytime soon to be honest : TeaTime: at most russia will do something so dumb they will overthrow themselves
I have intuition that you are right. We are going to live in the same conditions as we are living right now. I also wonder what have to happen so people will change the attitude for the future of our civilisation. Do you think something big will happen in the last quarter of the year in term of energy scarcity.

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
If say, Linux would be outlawed tomorrow, the vast majority of people would probably rejoice. To be honest, I am very suprised no one tried to outlaw open source software yet (that I am aware of).
I think legally it would be pretty hard to make open-source software illegal as it's pretty much at it's core "here's a thing you can have for free" and it's pretty hard to make giving handouts illegal. Then again most legislation on anything relating to tech is never thought through in a realistic manner.

Virtual Cafe Awards

whitematrix

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
At this point we are going to this scenario (by probability percentage, "self measured"):

- Russia will NOT turn on NordStream (or will limit hugely the output) (prob. 70-80%), and keep helicoptering their p*nis by burning the gas that had to be sent to Europe.
- European bankrupcy of small business and companies with consequential growth of big conglomerates.
- Catastrophic winter in terms of deaths by cold (probability 80-90%) with record low-rain (70%).
- The greatest debt crisis in history will start around september-november (90%) with near-fatal stock and crypto crash (opportunity of a lifetime if you have money).
- China will enter in a NON nuclear war with the USA and probably Japan and Taiwan (80%), as both superpowers need a war to print money into oblivion, for different reasons. China will further wage war against Pakistan, India for water related issues. (70%) Europe will chicken due to the dependance on foreign oil and gas.
- CBDC insertion will, to a point, allow full control of human economic activity (90%) firstly by UBI (food tickets, debt pardon, energetic aid), probably with an exception for bitcoin which will, to my deep sadness be likely forbidden (60%).
- Big companies like BlackRock will buy as much real estate as possible to control rent levels (already happening, so 100%).
- Scarcity and war will lead to decrease in human population, much like that Georgia Tablets.
- Esotheric entry: This point seems the perfect point in history for a "we are not alone"-type revelation (50-70% prob, given recent FOIAs result's). This results in the creation of Space Forces (which already exist in US for a year or two, coincidence?) that will fight "a global unknown space enemy", funneling trillions into private systems that will advance humanity (the greatest leaps in humanity development happen around war) and fill a few pockets into galactic levels. We will find lifeforms and ancient civilizations on Mars.

Some notes:
- By 2030 you'll own nothing and be happy - WEF.
- Meth gators will eat all life forms on Earth (100%).