Evil companies and recommended reading?

Green Grape Tim

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all. I got into a discussion recently about various companies known for being incredibly evil and damaging to the world and the people on it (Nestle, DuPont, etc) and I realised how little I actually know about the nuances of why they are the way that they are, things they are responsible for, and so on. Could anyone name some other companies that are either overtly cruel or go under the radar with their unethical actions? And if you're able, could you provide some reading for them too (absolutely any at all). Thanks a bunch.

4d1

net spelunker
Reaction score
Awards
coca cola (hiring columbian death squads against trade unionists), apple/nike (labour issues), google (workplace ethics), rio tinto (just see the list on wikipedia, too many to name here individually lmaoo)

at this point, all corpos are evil in one manner or another... its just a matter or how well they hide the public perception of it.

microbyte

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
Oracle semi-recently got sued for spying on people at a level greater than Google/Facebook, cause they used their trackers on >5 billion people, without necessarily asking permission.
You could also make the argument that the companies that control finance are kinda evil, because they encourage bad money grabbing, and the two main companies that control finance are BlackRock and Vanguard.

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Blackrock, the (arguably) most powerful company in the world, is one of the reasons we have such political extremism in America. This is because Blackrock has made the ESG score a crucial part of investing, and this makes companies lean towards the politics of the ESG rater. This means that whoever controls the ESG score, controls the politics of nearly all publicly traded companies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I was skeptical of this book initially, but I picked it up and read half of it, and it was good. It's about public relations in America, and specific case studies of how they've fucked with American people on behalf of their clients. The title gets its name from a scam that was run where a water treatment byproduct was renamed to something like 'biosolid fertiliser' and sold as a environmentally friendly fertiliser, despite being not only useless but also packed with deadly chemicals likely originating from chemical processing plants.
1687265990203.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Auroraborialis64

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all. I got into a discussion recently about various companies known for being incredibly evil and damaging to the world and the people on it (Nestle, DuPont, etc) and I realised how little I actually know about the nuances of why they are the way that they are, things they are responsible for, and so on. Could anyone name some other companies that are either overtly cruel or go under the radar with their unethical actions? And if you're able, could you provide some reading for them too (absolutely any at all). Thanks a bunch.
Some good recommendations:
"Silent Coup: How corporations overthrew democracy" by Claire Provost and Matt Kennard talk about how corporations can sue countries in court in order to gain access to their resources.
and 2 books by Antony C. Sutton - "Wall street and the Bolshevik revolution" and "Wall street and the Rise of Hitler" both talk about how Wall street financed and profited off of these events in history.

Virtual Cafe Awards