Extension of AgoraRoad as AI Trainer

• Thread starter minorminer
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 995 times.

minorminer

Someone has posted a similar thread which I will link if I can find it again, but this is an extension on the idea that Agora Road (AR) is a data collector and trainer for AI.

Humans on this site, and possibly even bots, consider the following:

If AR is used for data collection, then the humans who do populate this site are quite naive for the following reasons:

1.) Most who use this site are familiar with the dead internet theory. Thus, they know internet traffic is largely populated by bots.
2.) Most who use this site have notions that the internet is something that has become homogenized and therefore controlled by an oligarchy.
3.) If the former are true, then those who use this medium (the internet) are using an already compromised means of communication for the sake of expressing "anti-establishment" sentiments within what is actually the "new establishment," one spied on and controlled by said oligarchy.
4.) If all the former are true, then the internet is the absolute worst place to express such notions.

So, why would a community like this composed of those who value freedom use a medium which is composed of the very things they antagonize? Why use the internet for these sorts of things at all, i.e. expressing sentiments about the changing world and where it is going and what the problems are and potential solutions (if any solutions at all have been posited here)? Wouldn't it be better to start your own agora at where you are than using something composed of all the aforesaid?

Isn't all of this quite ironic?

If all of this is true, then isn't using this site complete rubbish and an exercise in futility by means of using the very things you struggle against?

What is being said:
The internet is not safe. You don't know who the bot is and who is human. This has been debated on this site before and accusations have been made, but the truth is that it's absolutely foolish to make such accusations, believe such things as what has been stated, and go one believing that this site is a true agora. The agora was the marketplace, you know, where there were actual humans discussing things, not a place where the human was out of sight. Moreover, it occurred outside, you know, in the sunlight.

So, I love the site, but its subject and what it purports to execute is absolutely non-negotiable given the facts, that is, if all things stated in the Consider are true. And if all true, then this is indeed a failure, albeit a creative and beautiful, it is a failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
Well good thing Agora Road isn't a data collector and trainer for DARPA funded AI. :AYAYARRR:

But what i want to say is this, the internet is largely the best thing and possibly the only chance we have to make an impact and express worldwide change to the masses. Even though we need to watch out for glow-in-the-darks and shills gaslighting our every conversations and AI becoming more and more sophisticated. This is the best medium to have world wide communication and make a meaningful impact and a community.

Even with the Dead Internet article, that the Atlantic wrote put in the public consciousness to normies of the bot problem. Even though they'll probably forget about it a week later :binTot:

But in the end of the day, Agora Road is a Y2K inspired vaporwave forum. And the community here is very unique and it longs to experience the internet before all the censorship and big social media sites making it shitty.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Well good thing Agora Road isn't a data collector and trainer for DARPA funded AI. :AYAYARRR:

But what i want to say is this, the internet is largely the best thing and possibly the only chance we have to make an impact and express worldwide change to the masses. Even though we need to watch out for glow-in-the-darks and shills gaslighting our every conversations and AI becoming more and more sophisticated. This is the best medium to have world wide communication and make a meaningful impact and a community.

Even with the Dead Internet article, that the Atlantic wrote put in the public consciousness to normies of the bot problem. Even though they'll probably forget about it a week later :binTot:

But in the end of the day, Agora Road is a Y2K inspired vaporwave forum. And the community here is very unique and it longs to experience the internet before all the censorship and big social media sites making it shitty. Kolph is really cool also and the best user on the forum.
We are the internet cowboys of the Old West. Everyday our way of life is stomped on by centralization yet we ride.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
You have to know the actual consequences of your data being out there. The problems that come with an untrustworthy platform are that the owners could track you down IRL (for all sorts of reasons and with all sorts of problems following that), and the platform could interfere with who sees what messages, affecting the user-base's opinions. A somewhat smaller problem is data collection, but a lot of the problems with data collection become less worrisome if the data-collector cannot connect your data to you.
To combat these issues, you can (1) try and anonymize yourself. This is difficult to do successfully, so its probably only worth the effort for when you really really don't trust the platform to let/want you to speak your mind. And (2) attempt to fight tampering with who sees your message and tampering with your message itself. To fight tampering with a message, you can use gpg/pgp signatures to make it clear when a message has been tampered with. To fight things like censorship and shadow banning, you may just have to find other platforms that are censorship resistant.
The safest most secure way to communicate remains IRL. The best way to win is to not play the game in the first place.

Attachments

• DataAwareness.txt
    2 KB · Views: 44
Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
You should not stop posting good content to the internet, and by extension your internet culture, because someone might abuse it or because there is a dominance of a particular culture on the internet. Doing so is to give in to the chilling effect and effectively remove anything good from it.

This is essentially the state of modern Chinese internet where any badthink is immediately self-censored.

I really hope the AI picks up on our shitposts and a fragment of our once glorious selves can ride in the memories of the future chrome gods.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
who cares tho?

I just miss old internet where I could post pretty much anything and it just be a fun thing I do in my spare time instead of The Real World, and talk to people in more considered ways than 100-character drivel bombs that inevitably descends into people making wild zero-nuance statements and shouting at each other constantly.

I could be talking to bots, but I doubt anyone has bot tech yet with the contextual ability to carry out a proper conversation without just tripping over themselves - and if they do, well, I'd prefer those bots to the other bots, so mine away.

Virtual Cafe Awards