• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Facebook and Instagram to block news outlets in Canada

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Due to the soon to be enacted "Online News Act" and a dispute with the Canadian Governement, Meta will started to block links to news website for users in Canada on 28 September 2023. This for both for regular users and broadcasters. From my understanding, you will just straight up not be able to post and acess certain URLs anymore.

Original article

The law in question

IMO, the funniest thing about this news is that the boomers are completely misuderstanding it. They believe that Meta will terminate service for Facebook, Messenger and Marketplace on the 28th. Some even believe that they will block the ability to get emails lol.

It will be interesting what this will do. Conventional wisdom holds that there will likely be a black list of mainstream media, leaving the door open for "atypical media". It will fun to watch, although I was personally looking forward to the "Free Facebook" protests and I am kinda dissapointed ngl.

Skookumsquitch

...has died; Aug 13 '22–Dec 29 '23
Reaction score
Awards
The whole concept of this thing is ridiculous. It's nearly unfathomable to me that we live in an age where a  company can hold a ransom against an entire country. I'm just surprised that, of all things that Canada has kneeled down to in the past, that we're standing up against this, which is a nice change. Luckily, if news hyperlinks are withheld from Canadians on those two specific sites, it won't affect me since only weirdos use 'mainstream' things like Google and Meta gunk.
I'd like to see where this goes. :LeDoritoFace:

Virtual Cafe Awards