• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Favorite Anime Opening/Ending?

Voicedrew

God's #1 Emilia enjoyer / Lord of the Ring
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-01.jpeg

The video begins with a murder of crows circling overhead. The crows are of course used in this instance to symbolize death, which is one of the main themes of the show.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-15.jpeg

The camera pans down to reveal a body of water, which Subaru lies at the bottom of. I believe this shot symbolizes two things:
  1. The isolation and loneliness that his power to return by death forces him to experience.
  2. The pressure of having the lives of everyone he cares about rest solely on his shoulders
The choice to symbolize isolation as apposed to anything else in the opening moments of the opening tells a story. Due to the nature of his power, Subaru is always destined to win at some point, no matter how many times he has to die. Yet still, no matter if they live or die, he is never able to confide in his friends; He is never able to talk about his pain. He is forced to hide his melancholy behind a happy, energetic persona.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-22.jpeg

In the next shot he opens his eyes to the light; To the bright future away from his bleak situation.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-34.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-36.jpeg

The divide that has formed between Subaru and Emilia after the events of episode 13 are showcased. The closed door between the two characters represents the breakdown in their communications, highlighting the challenges they face in understanding each other.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-40.jpeg

Very similar to the scene at the start, the ocean bed represents the immense pressure he is under... Although, this time he is joined by Rem, showcasing the dependable relationship the two characters have with each other. The scene reflects the significance of their bond and hints at the strength they find in each other during challenging times.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-45.jpeg

This part is sort of tricky, but I think Emilia and Rem can be interpreted as embodiments of Subaru's conscience, tormenting him with doubts about his ability to make the right choices. The screams in the video symbolize the inner turmoil he experiences as he grapples with moral dilemmas and the fear of making mistakes.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-48.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-51.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-53.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-56.jpeg

In the montage of the royal selection candidates, a contrast is depicted between Emilia and the other characters. While the others are shown enjoying their time with companions and having fun, Emilia appears lonely and burdened by the immense pressure of the royal selection.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-59.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 1-05.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 1-09.jpeg

With the chorus of the song, the tone of the opening changes from one of hardship and despair, to one of triumph over adversity. The powerful vocals and melody evoke a sense of resilience and determination, reflecting Subaru's journey towards overcoming his struggles.

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 1-27.jpeg

Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 1-27(1).jpeg

I've always found this final shot to be incredibly interesting. The invisible hands of the witch cult engulf Emilia's face, but she is none the wiser.

I think this is some 4D foreshadowing. I think it is undeniable in some sense the Emilia and Satella are directly connected (if not the same), in some way. Both characters same the same voice actor, have the same appearance, and that is to say nothing about the connection between Satella and Flugel, and how Subaru might be Flugel. I think its also interesting (and not completely coincidental) that this specific shot takes place under Flugel's tree.

Additionally, Emilia reaching out to Subaru signifies the bridging of their initial gap, mirroring the arc's progression and bringing the opening to a thematically satisfying conclusion.

No need to be as autistic about it as me. Feel free to post a YouTube link and a couple of sentences about why you like it. :agsmile:

Attachments

• Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-59.jpeg
    Re ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Opening 2 Paradisus-Paradoxum - YouTube - 0-59.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 35
Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Lets see

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuncFLIR1Qw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0z2ydqKXBE

My favorites from the Adult Swim line up from when I was in middle school lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_c2qZmWn-Y

It counts if it's an American cartoon version of a Japanese video game with a German techno soundtrack right?

I'm kinda a sucker for this sort of 80's J-pop.

I should dig up all of the intro's where I prefer the American version for one reason or another, I swear the English Kenshin has better instrumentation and I like the English singer and I prefer the English Zeta theme, the dramatic orchestral song just fits way better imo.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Voicedrew

God's #1 Emilia enjoyer / Lord of the Ring
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
I love the first op and ed for Urusei Yatsura.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hulET9tn9M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFEM6I7p6as

The Italian dub of the anime also has a really good op that I catch myself humming on occasion as well. This one is a bit famous because the entirety of this song is lost and people have been looking for it for years. There are some good fanmade renditions of it as a complete song though.

View: https://youtu.be/BHwXG4JfRpM

Virtual Cafe Awards

no_chill

Anti-Globalist Taskforce 8 "Florian Geyer"
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Sword Art Online Season One.

The opening keystrokes of a synthesised Piano, with a melodramatic and bittersweet tune almost a sorrow tune for mourning, coming out dull then very sharp and fades right into a upbeat very high guitar riff.

This perfectly captures the feel of the protagonists coming to the realisation they have been made prisoners in an unfair game with their lifes at stake. Its almost gut wrenching.

Then it unfolds into a mix between a happy and nervous tune with the lyrics.
Then it abruptly becomes depresses again, slowing down, only to completely rise up and explode into a very powerful energetic refrain.
Similar to how the players situation is and must feel. Yes it is depressing, yes it is horrific, you may end it right now and kill yourself or, despite all odds march on and beat that game, saving your life. And the Main Characters decide to do the latter.

Extremely fitting and well done intro that gave me chills the first time I heard it at the end of ep.1 as the big reveal was, people freaking out but the MC Kirito swallowing the depression and instead running off to fight and beat the game as fast as possible to escape this prison, ready to fight any monster, how horrific and terrible they might be and achieving Triumpf of the Will.

View: https://youtu.be/DzU6G8hvs-U

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rollingstart

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards
classics - duvet, eva*, renai circ. XD
bunny senpai theme (fukashiki no carte), staple staple (bakemonogatori) + end./
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDI53jAauA

welcome to nhk end/ (...ningen)
eva: 25(air (episode)) - beethowen "9" , rebuild of eva: "voyager"
kiki ost theme song (lipstick message) - both voyager and this song are sung by yumi matsutoya
cowboy bebop: all, but i like (tank), rain, gotta knock a little harder, and from movie: ask dna (theme song) + 24h open (song)
miki matsubara: stand up to the victory; yoko kanno - turn a gundam - moon -- and all from seatbelts and her too
i got so many... i dont got theme/end song i hate, you must show me some XDDD
love is war themes - that guy is good, Kana Hanazawa too (well, it is bussiness so they has to be good...)
*anything by shiro sagisu - eva, etc. - like n-nautilus, and bankai: you are no. 1
... (god forgot those yoi mentioned, like death note... but i like them all)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

no_chill

Anti-Globalist Taskforce 8 "Florian Geyer"
Silver
Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 64052

The video begins with a murder of crows circling overhead. The crows are of course used in this instance to symbolize death, which is one of the main themes of the show.

View attachment 64055

The camera pans down to reveal a body of water, which Subaru lies at the bottom of. I believe this shot symbolizes two things:
  1. The isolation and loneliness that his power to return by death forces him to experience.
  2. The pressure of having the lives of everyone he cares about rest solely on his shoulders
The choice to symbolize isolation as apposed to anything else in the opening moments of the opening tells a story. Due to the nature of his power, Subaru is always destined to win at some point, no matter how many times he has to die. Yet still, no matter if they live or die, he is never able to confide in his friends; He is never able to talk about his pain. He is forced to hide his melancholy behind a happy, energetic persona.

View attachment 64056

In the next shot he opens his eyes to the light; To the bright future away from his bleak situation.

View attachment 64057
View attachment 64058

The divide that has formed between Subaru and Emilia after the events of episode 13 are showcased. The closed door between the two characters represents the breakdown in their communications, highlighting the challenges they face in understanding each other.

View attachment 64061

Very similar to the scene at the start, the ocean bed represents the immense pressure he is under... Although, this time he is joined by Rem, showcasing the dependable relationship the two characters have with each other. The scene reflects the significance of their bond and hints at the strength they find in each other during challenging times.

View attachment 64062

This part is sort of tricky, but I think Emilia and Rem can be interpreted as embodiments of Subaru's conscience, tormenting him with doubts about his ability to make the right choices. The screams in the video symbolize the inner turmoil he experiences as he grapples with moral dilemmas and the fear of making mistakes.

View attachment 64065
View attachment 64066
View attachment 64067
View attachment 64068

In the montage of the royal selection candidates, a contrast is depicted between Emilia and the other characters. While the others are shown enjoying their time with companions and having fun, Emilia appears lonely and burdened by the immense pressure of the royal selection.

View attachment 64070
View attachment 64071
View attachment 64072

With the chorus of the song, the tone of the opening changes from one of hardship and despair, to one of triumph over adversity. The powerful vocals and melody evoke a sense of resilience and determination, reflecting Subaru's journey towards overcoming his struggles.

View attachment 64073
View attachment 64074
I've always found this final shot to be incredibly interesting. The invisible hands of the witch cult engulf Emilia's face, but she is none the wiser.

I think this is some 4D foreshadowing. I think it is undeniable in some sense the Emilia and Satella are directly connected (if not the same), in some way. Both characters same the same voice actor, have the same appearance, and that is to say nothing about the connection between Satella and Flugel, and how Subaru might be Flugel. I think its also interesting (and not completely coincidental) that this specific shot takes place under Flugel's tree.

Additionally, Emilia reaching out to Subaru signifies the bridging of their initial gap, mirroring the arc's progression and bringing the opening to a thematically satisfying conclusion.

No need to be as autistic about it as me. Feel free to post a YouTube link and a couple of sentences about why you like it. :agsmile:

Due to this analysis of yours I finally started to watch RE:Zero. Even made an account on crunchyroll and everything. And holy shit I didn't expected this anime to be this intense. I always thought its a lighthearted take on the isekai genre but this is close to Goblin Slayer / Elfenlied style of dark fantasy/ brutalism. Wow. Also this anime was made before the western movie edge of tomorrow?

Because they share a lot of similarities. I wouldn't doubt they took inspiration from Re:Zero. Although in the latter the MC takes full advantage over his power and becomes Deus Ex Machina. I wonder how Re:Zero continues to unfold and Subarus understanding of using his power. I'm currently on the 15th episode. Genuine brutal and dramatic. Thank you I love anime like this. Although the MCs naivety at the start made me think different.

Virtual Cafe Awards