Favorite developers?

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
What are some of your favorite game companies or development teams?

I really like falcom and EasyGameStation

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

myrriad

gas stove cook
Reaction score
Awards
Website
freckleskies.net
i miss this little fella so much its unreal

lucasartsold.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Most of my favourites have either gone downhill or no longer exist.

Nintendo R&D1, Blizzard(Pre-WOW), Ensemble Studios, Sega Technical Institute, Sega, SNK, Nintendo EAD, Alpha Dream, Apogee/3DRealms, Konami

Nintendo R&D1 in particular have made a greater portion of my all-time favourites than any other developer. I guess I'd have to go with them as my all time favourite developer, which is kind of depressing because they haven't existed for 20 years.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Daisuke Amaya (Pixel). He was the guy who made cave story and kind of paved the way for indie games. All of his games have a very unique charm to them and you can tell that every one of them he makes is a passion project. I hope he makes another game soon because his last fully new game was Kero Blaster in 2014. He released Pink Heaven a year later but it's kind of a spinoff of Kero Blaster and focuses on a side-character

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
FromSoft, I was introduced to them by Armored Core 3, though I didn't really recognize the company name till Demon/Dark souls came out. Currently waiting for Armored Core 6 to drop.

Much as I have liked Capcom and Sega, they are both wildly inconsistent and readily flux between good and bad.

I have enjoyed Atlus game quite a bit, especially the Etrian Odyssey series.

MattLikesSwords, the dev for the Epic Battle Fantasy games is cool

And lastly, I'm waiting to see if Picorrinesoft (which is one guy) can pull a successful sequel to his first game, Disc Creatures.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
FromSoft, I was introduced to them by Armored Core 3, though I didn't really recognize the company name till Demon/Dark souls came out. Currently waiting for Armored Core 6 to drop.

Much as I have liked Capcom and Sega, they are both wildly inconsistent and readily flux between good and bad.

I have enjoyed Atlus game quite a bit, especially the Etrian Odyssey series.

MattLikesSwords, the dev for the Epic Battle Fantasy games is cool

And lastly, I'm waiting to see if Picorrinesoft (which is one guy) can pull a successful sequel to his first game, Disc Creatures.
Ahh, I love etrian odyssey

Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
My favourite ones that are active are Subset Games (FTL, Into the Breach) and Super Giant Games (Bastion, Transistor, Hades). I suspect Hades 2 will cause me to drop SG.

I liked Dice before Battlefield 3, Epic before UE4, Maxis before 2010, Obsidian before Grounded, and Valve before Dota 2. I enjoy Bethesda games a lot, but I'm not particualrly a fan of the studio itself. Nobody makes RPGs in the style of Bethesda anymore, my hope is Obsidian with Avowed does something interesting.

I respect SNK and Miazaki's FromSoft, but those games just aren't for me. I play games to relax and have fun with friends, not stress about timings, combos, etc.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's not a common thing for me to get attached to developers and not just their series but one of my exceptions for this would be Team Reptile, who made Lethal League and Lethal League Blaze which I love. I actually care about them because I love the art style and direction of their games, they're all so colorful and creative.
1685792162888.png

1685792194650.png

Candyman.gif

Currently waiting for their next game Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Virtual Cafe Awards

turntableToothache

Victim of the Demiurge's nightmare world.
Reaction score
Awards
I like Valve, mainly for their classic games, I never get tired of playing 'em. Also Classic Rockstar, before they went creatively bankrupt with GTA V; their games were some of the best in their genres.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
StimpSoft.com was a favorite developer of random pointless Mac apps in the early 2000's. RIP

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Running With Scissors, DEVGRU-P or Team Shanghai Alice.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
I'd have to say it's UFG. The old "play, create, share" model of ModNation Racers (and MediaMolecule's LBP) led for endless hours of entertainment for me as a kid, and was the perfect exercise in creativity. I mean it when I say that games should go back to putting their focus on user-generated content by making it more accessible through the game engine.
Of course, Sleeping Dogs proves that UFG was capable of making more than just creative game engines. It doesn't have the greatest narrative out there, don't get me wrong, but the core gameplay is good enough and it's just plain fun.
Shame they only got 3 actual games out. I think they would have made a lot more bangers, but maybe it's best that they quit while they were ahead.

Virtual Cafe Awards