Favorite Video Game(s)?

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
I'm going to be honest, I'm not even sure if I like video games.
I haven't felt like playing one in about a year now. All I do now is watch people argue about them on the internet. Even before that, I had already begun to realize that I wasn't enjoying it. Even for the ones I would normally like, my thoughts would always drift back to thinking about how suboptimal the games are, and that I'm not actually having fun.

I spent a large portion of my life playing them up until now; even as far back as my first memory extends --which would be around age 3 or 4, for reference,-- I'm fairly certain that I had already become accustomed to vidya. I think I did it because my parents did it, and they bought me games because they didn't know how else to keep me occupied. The last game I played seriously was Okami*. I got about two thirds through the game before I decided that I was only forcing myself to play it so that I could finish it. Maybe it's because of burnout, maybe it's because I got too old (unlikely, since I'm a zoomer and people from both my generation and older generations still play often), or maybe it's because I just kept trying to force myself to like kusoge.

Anyways, if I made a chart of the games which I did enjoy, at least as far as I can remember.
It was difficult, as I couldn't remember them off the top of my head, so I had to go through lists of games to see if I could find any which I both played and enjoyed.
Here it is:
View attachment 35997
*I went through I little detour through Touhou recently. I didn't get good enough at them to clear any of the extra stages, but I did enjoy the ones which I played, for as short amount of time as I did.

also,

Incredibly based, fellow MvC2 enjoyer
Persona recently had a collab with a bathhouse, figured you might enjoy this picture of Tatsuya and Maya banners. You could even order the Tatsuya steak or Maya ramen!

photo_2022-09-06_12-40-02.jpg

photo_2022-09-06_12-40-07.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

Persona recently had a collab with a bathhouse, figured you might enjoy this picture of Tatsuya and Maya banners. You could even order the Tatsuya steak or Maya ramen!

View attachment 36000
View attachment 36001
Part of the 25th anniversary right?
It's a shame that these-pop up food promotions are always so fleeting in terms of having a limited location and duration.
Most people will go their whole lives missing a feast fit for a king
I_eat.png

Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite games list:
Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4
9 Mgs ideas | metal gear solid, metal gear, metal gear series
1662439670405.png

Touhou 8 Imperishable Nights.
1662439737798.png

Fallout 2:
1662439776581.png

Max Payne:
1662439802036.png

Hylics:
1662439839337.png

Foxhole:
1662439880510.png

STALKER SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL:
1662439944507.png

Omori:
1662439986008.png

Persona 3:
1662440008403.png

Saints Row 2:
1662440049241.png

Vice City:
1662440085924.png

Underrail:
1662440121330.png

Trudrograd.
1662440157451.png

EU4:
1662440275880.png

KENSHI:
1662440300970.png

Rimworld.
1662440328723.png

Half Life:
index.php

Deus Ex.
1662440406079.png

VA11HALLA
1662440429139.png

Postal Brain Damaged:
1662440463682.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Postal 1 and 2.
Also Degrees of Lewdity, good life simulator, rape aside.

Virtual Cafe Awards

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
STALKER SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL:
View attachment 36016
I've been playing this recently and while it's really janky, there's something about this game that feels special. As a conspiracy nut, this game just hits on all the right notes. The game does an incredible job of feeling mysterious and I'm a sucker for that. Patiently waiting for Stalker 2!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Etrian Odyssey series especially once it hits 3
etrian_odyssey_iii_wall_3.jpg

A series of dungeon crawlers with quite possible the best turn by turn combat system ever devised, attempting to spam the basic attack will get you killed very quickly.
Also, you get to draw your own maps using the DS's second screen.

SpaceChem
Zachtronics best work imo, a free form gui programming puzzle game. It has a demo that covers about a 3rd of the game so give it a try.

Grim Dawn
A Diablo esk game and the only one of it's type that I actually like... a bit too much I think I'm at 1250 hours atm.

FromSoft
The company, like nearly it's entire catalog from King's Field to Elden Ring. Currently waiting for Armored Core 6.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Some assorted game related memories.

I grew up with an Apple ][e and especially loved Karateka, Defender, Bolderdash, and a SpiderMan text adeventure (not purely text, it had some awesome artwork, but all the commands were text-based). If you put the karateka floppy in upside down, it would render the whole game upside down. Classic!

Eventually, we upgraded to a Performa 637CD, and there was Myst. I remember playing with my Dad and brother and keeping a notebook full of observations and sketches. My brother and I were divided on whether to support Sirrius or Achenon (I was team Sirrius. Achenon was clearly a lunatic), but of course, Dad knew the real answer was to trust no one. We actually got stumped towards the end, and in the days before internet walkthroughs, we ordered a strategy guide, but managed to solve it ourselves about a day before it arrived.

I bought Deus Ex at MacWorld Expo 2000 in New York City. Our local Mac User Group organized a bus trip to go. We had such a good time that next year, my Dad and I flew out to San Francisco for MacWorld 2001. Those things were fucking magical. I think I still have my MacWorld t-shirts buried somewhere in my closet. Oh, and Deus Ex is one of the greatest games I ever played.

I bought a used GameCube in college so my roomates and I could play Smash Bros Melee. I mained Luigi. My roommate played Link and a grimy fucking Yoshi.

I first played Chrono Trigger on an emulator maybe a decade after it came out, but it is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I always start a new playthrough this time of year. Maximum cozy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Marmot

Were it so easy
Reaction score
Awards
Favorite all-time game is Halo: Combat Evolved. Played it on my brother's OG Xbox when I was tiny. It's one of, if not the, earliest memories I have. Just love the world, the aliens, and the marines.

Others are:

The Lord of the Rings: The Battle For Middle-earth 1 & 2
Real-time strategy games set in The Lord of the Rings. Countless hours of fun defending Gondor from the forces of evil, or besieging Helm's Deep as Isengard. 2 is better in skirmish/multiplayer and 1 has a far better campaign from what I remember. I haven't played the first one since I was little, but I remember that campaign being a lot more fun. They're not sold anymore, sadly, so you may have to sail the seas.

Warcraft 3
Real-time strategy game including a few RPG mechanics, like heroes having stats that can be influenced by items they pick up, dropped by creatures found throughout the levels. Super fun.

Gears of War 2
I played through the first 3 games again last year and boy, they are fun. Pure, masculine fantasy. Chainsawing dudes in half, constant blood, muscles everywhere. They really feel like they were made by a bunch of college dudes.

And there's a game I think is really unique and cool that unfortunately didn't sell very well that I played when I was little:

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
You're a cowboy goat-creature-thing who's a bounty hunter and you accept bounties on big baddies who have been causing trouble around town. Things escalate a lot, but I won't go into details. Also, your main weapon is a crossbow, with which you fire little creatures at your enemies. Each creature does different things. The game is set in the Oddworld universe, so there's a bunch of crazy creatures and characters. I absolutely love the creature designs in the Oddworld games.