Favourite indie games

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I haven't been able to find enjoyment in playing video games by myself lately (which means playing video games at all, since I have no friends シ), but I'm also looking forward to the DF release. If nothing else, the creator deserves some sales, and a fresh coat of paint on that game will do wonders for its mainstream appeal.

With Factorio my greatest problem is prioritization. There are so many things to do that it's easy to get mired down in fixing low-priority processes while ignoring more significant problems (say, a shortage of iron).

Cookie Clicker looks interesting. If I ever find the motivation to play a game again, I'll check it out.
99% of the reason DF isn't more mainstream is the ASCII art. Considering things like Rimworld's success, I'm absolutely certain that DF will experience an explosion in popularity.

I have similar issues with prioritization, which is part of why I'm so surprised I managed to get a rocket up. I guess it helped that I wasn't excessively focused on efficiency, and was rather focused on getting to the next step in the tech tree. Also helps to force yourself to work on one problem at a time. I know I couldn't focus on anything else while setting up my nuclear reactor (except for fending off biters, of course, but that goes without saying.

CC is the best incremental game out there, bar none. If you're not ready to pay $5 for the steam version, the web version will always be free and will be receiving the same updates. Give it a shot when you can.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kenshiro

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Gonna sound like a normie but its either dead cells or Hollow knight for me. I've tried things like Dwarf fortress but the UI is clunky in my opinion.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Gonna sound like a normie but its either dead cells or Hollow knight for me. I've tried things like Dwarf fortress but the UI is clunky in my opinion.
Not an opinion, really. Classic DF's UI is an affront to God and is objectively bad from a new player's standpoint.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Morse

Resident Baja Blast Bandit
Reaction score
Awards
undertale is pretty awesome, im partially jaded though because i loved it as a kid and it definitely influenced me as a person

>unironically fnaf too i enjoy it in a post-ironic sense now

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
undertale is pretty awesome, im partially jaded though because i loved it as a kid and it definitely influenced me as a person

>unironically fnaf too i enjoy it in a post-ironic sense now
Hello fellow CSM enjoyer.

Undertale is good but I got spoiled on pretty much everything in the five years it took me to play it so I didn't really enjoy it that much, but I can appreciate just how much work Toby put into it.

Never played any FNaF and never plan to, but I can also respect Cawthon turning a weakness into an absolutely insane strength (criticism that characters from his last game, Chipper and Sons, looked like creepy animatronics, so he based an entire game around that). Talk about a billion dollar turnaround.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Morse

Resident Baja Blast Bandit
Reaction score
Awards
Hello fellow CSM enjoyer.

Undertale is good but I got spoiled on pretty much everything in the five years it took me to play it so I didn't really enjoy it that much, but I can appreciate just how much work Toby put into it.

Never played any FNaF and never plan to, but I can also respect Cawthon turning a weakness into an absolutely insane strength (criticism that characters from his last game, Chipper and Sons, looked like creepy animatronics, so he based an entire game around that). Talk about a billion dollar turnaround.
salutations fellow based csm enjoyer

i was big into tumblr when i was like 12 whenever tumblr was at its peak, and the undertale tumblr fandom was honestly one of my favorite things ive ever been apart of. thank god for that

in terms of fnaf, i enjoyed it as a kid, then had my fnaf is cringe phase, then had my oh let me ironically enjoy it phase, and now i have transcended that and actually enjoy it. half the fun is learning the lore, as it is a rabbithole in a sense and i quite enjoy rabbitholes of any kind

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kenshiro

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Not an opinion, really. Classic DF's UI is an affront to God and is objectively bad from a new player's standpoint.
Yeah I enjoy Civ5 and AoE games so a friend suggested it to me. The one thing I will say a lot of modern games have over old games is definitely the UI.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I really liked Iconoclasts a lot. Meh soundtrack but really immersive the thing, just like playing whatever Shantae; pretty nice game.
I'm a fan of Shantae too but mostly just for the artstyle/environments, great character design, friendly/upbeat tone, and the music which is generally really good. The gameplay itself I routinely find to be aggressively mediocre, with the worst of it coming from 1/2 Genie Hero which was riddled with exploits and had a very disjointed story due to subpar management of the kickstarter funds, forcing them to shove backer promises meant to be bonuses or secrets into the main campaign.

Haven't played 7 Sirens yet though, I've heard its pretty good, so for sure near the top of my long long list of games I'm interested in.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CorgiTaco

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Underrail is the best indie game I've played in ages. Similar to Fallout 1 & 2 in playing.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/UnderRail/

Old school rpg mechanics with brutally difficult (but not unfair) combat. Excellent quest design with branching options. And very good writing.

Took 128 hours on my first playthrough.
Highly recommend the oddity experience mode. Makes all playstyles viable instead of locking everyone into being a murder hobo like most rpgs.

The review that led me to play it:

Virtual Cafe Awards

CorgiTaco

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Oh, and Darkwood is amazing as well if you like eastern European game design.

Top down survival horror rpg. Excellent world building. Difficult gameplay. And an amazingly well executed art and sound design.

Virtual Cafe Awards

TigrEncounter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I created this topic to talk about indie games we love.
Gunpoint is my alltime favourite indie game. Trench coats were my fetish during my high school years and maxed out every achievment and endings in that game and one of the best OSTs I've ever heard.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I liked Cave Story and Kero Blaster quite a bit. Ikachan is my favourite game Studio Pixel has made. It's raw and unpolished, but there's something nice about it and underwater swimming as a squid that no other game achieves for me. Other than that, Hyper Light Drifter is one other Indie game I liked a lot.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've spent an ungodly amount of time playing FTL (Faster Than Light). It's a cozy tactical space fighter game with randomized sectors and overall fun gameplay.

And when I use to have gaming friends we'd play a lot of Risk of Rain, and later on its sequel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FAILSAF_12

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
some of my faves have to be the Binding of Isaac, Hypnospace Outlaw, Undertale/Deltarune, Sable, Hotline Miami... I could probably think of more to list forever since theres so many good ones out there ive played. but these came to mind first

Virtual Cafe Awards