Finally watching Cereal Experiments Lain

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes recently and that's been quite good, keep in mind it's quite long however but for the right reasons.

Virtual Cafe Awards
What episode of Lain are you currently up to? Everyone is different, but what I typically recommend people do is just try to enjoy the crazy ride that it is for a first time viewing. You won't start putting the pieces together until a second viewing. I rewatch the show almost annually, but haven't gotten around to it yet for 2021. We could try doing an "Agora watches Lain", and host discussions episode by episode if enough people are into the idea.

If you like mind-fucky 90's anime then Revolutionary Girl Utena should be right up your alley. And if you haven't watched it yet, Evangelion as well (the original series + End of Eva, forget the Rebuilds).

Virtual Cafe Awards

0ur0b0r0s

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What episode of Lain are you currently up to? Everyone is different, but what I typically recommend people do is just try to enjoy the crazy ride that it is for a first time viewing. You won't start putting the pieces together until a second viewing. I rewatch the show almost annually, but haven't gotten around to it yet for 2021. We could try doing an "Agora watches Lain", and host discussions episode by episode if enough people are into the idea.

If you like mind-fucky 90's anime then Revolutionary Girl Utena should be right up your alley. And if you haven't watched it yet, Evangelion as well (the original series + End of Eva, forget the Rebuilds).
Currently up to ep 4 I think. Good advice for first time viewing. I figured it was one of those shows that resolves as it gets close to/reaches the end so I have just been soaking it in even if I have no clue wtf is going on.

I really like evangelion. I'll check out girl utena too

Virtual Cafe Awards
Watching Lain will require a second, third, fourth rewatching in an attempt to understanding the show itself. Good Luck!

Virtual Cafe Awards
I had recently watched it myself as well. Halfway through the first episode, I realised I had heard half of the dialogue already as samples in vaportrap songs back in 2015 lol
Did also give the Playstation version a peek, but it is much darker than the anime to the point where I couldn't finish watching it and started having nightmares about it.
There was an interesting video about it (Does come with spoilers, though)

As for other anime, I am watching right now; currently Mega Man NT Warrior AXESS, really obsessed with those shows about how the internet was perceived twenty years ago.
Also for research purposes as I'm working on a Webcore album at the moment where I'm trying to shape a similar world as the Y2K web.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Did also give the Playstation version a peek, but it is much darker than the anime to the point where I couldn't finish watching it and started having nightmares about it.
I had a friend who had derealization episodes when watching Loin and ever since I'm afraid to even try it. That anime holds quite a unique kinda darkness, like a technological nothingism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
Lain is still one of my favorites for a multitude of reasons; there's plenty of nuance buried in every character and interaction between them, the world itself is shown as a multi-dimensional spiritual and social arena, and nothing is directly spoonfed to the viewer. It's one of those shows that leaves you wondering what it was you saw and if you perhaps didn't dig deep enough.

On this same note, Texnolyze is also cut from a similar cloth in that it's very slow and atmospheric, however its narrative and presentation is different. It's worth viewing, and I recommend it along with the wondrous glory that is Lain.

And of course, how could I not go without saying;

"Let's all love Lain!"

Virtual Cafe Awards
As for other anime, I am watching right now; currently Mega Man NT Warrior AXESS, really obsessed with those shows about how the internet was perceived twenty years ago.
Also for research purposes as I'm working on a Webcore album at the moment where I'm trying to shape a similar world as the Y2K web.
I've been thinking about the Megaman Battle Network series recently as well. Less the anime then the games, although I did watch the anime as a kid. It's fascinating how in many ways the MMBN series pointed out the obvious flaws with stupid things like "The Internet of Things" (Like yeah, maybe having your oven reliant on an internet connection is a stupid idea). Yet at the same time there was such an unbridled optimism the series seemed to have about the world the internet would give us.

I suppose the weirdest thing for me, is I remember both watching the anime and playing the games as a kid and thinking, "Wow, this world is cool and futuristic." But now we more or less live in the Battle Network world, just minus all the cool netnavis and netbattling.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Tsutomu Nihei is my favorite mangaka, aside from the Blame! movie the only one of his comics that's gotten an adaptation is Knights of Sidonia, which is really good! Only complaint is that the ending is kinda lackluster and pretty open-ended, but I thought it did a great job capturing the feel of the manga, a difficult task since I think a lot of Nihei's atmosphere comes across better in still panels.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've been watching it on and off for the past few months on youtube, I'm on ep 8, its getting REAL wild but I'm enjoying it, I'll rewatch it (to give it a chance to watch it consistently) and it sees what hints I can catch, might do a reivew or restrospective on my blog, who knows?
but I can understand why its so hyped tho especially in the webcore/indie web space

Virtual Cafe Awards

0ur0b0r0s

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Did also give the Playstation version a peek, but it is much darker than the anime to the point where I couldn't finish watching it and started having nightmares about it
Have heard 0 about a Playstation verison. Fascinating!

Thanks for the recommendations, all!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Fuujin Monogatari. I tell everyone I meet to watch it. On the surface, a slice of life anime with some magical realist elements. Watch it twice and uncover some very potent daoist teachings inside it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz

Attachments

• 1625147476222.jpg
    1625147476222.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 44
Virtual Cafe Awards