First Time You Discovered Vaporwave Music

1996Skeleton

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi, I am starting this thread to discuss the first time that you discovered Vaporwave and how. I'd just like to hear how others came across it and why they got into it.

I first time I heard vaporwave music was via YouTube on Artzie Music back in early 2015. I don't remember how I came across it, but I do remember I was really into Kero Kero Bonito & 80s-90s anime at the time and I assume it was through some related videos. For me, it was a music genre that touched me in a nostalgic way and gave me a lot of comfort when I listened to it. Macross 82-99, Dan Mason, Saint Pepsi, and Esprit were some of the first musicians that I listened to on the regular.

More recently, I have gotten into Slushwave and Mallsoft artist.

Let me hear your story.

* all in my (ours) intro(s)
* what you want fed
/jk

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

ビンス

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Awards
Website
chrysalism.neocities.org
Hey, great thread! I haven't ever thought about this.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I remember Floral Shoppe being in lots of "dank memes" around 2016 and I think that was my gateway. I started listening to VW playlists on YouTube in about 2019 and wanted to find more music in this genre. I was reading comments and someone said to the poster "Where do you find these obscure songs?" and they replied "Nightwave Plaza." So then ofc I found out about plaza.one (nw plaza) and got super deep into vw.

One day I was talking to another Mod in their Discord and I asked where a bunch of new members were coming from, and he said "Some vaporwave forum embedded our music player on their site." I was surprised and was like "Vaporwave forum?" he gave me the link to here and the rest is history I guess.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

1996Skeleton

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hey, great thread! I haven't ever thought about this.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I remember Floral Shoppe being in lots of "dark memes" around 2016 and I think that was my gateway. I started listening to VW playlists on YouTube in about 2019 and wanted to find more music in this genre. I was reading comments and someone said to the poster "Where do you find these obscure songs?" and they replied "Nightwave Plaza." So then ofc I found out about plaza.one (nw plaza) and got super deep into vw.

One day I was talking to another Mod in their Discord and I asked where a bunch of new members were coming from, and he said "Some vaporwave forum embedded our music player on their site." I was surprised and was like "Vaporwave forum?" he gave me the link to here and the rest is history I guess.
Most of the vaporwave I found in the beginning was on YouTube and it felt like I had discovered something that only a small pocket of the internet knew about. Now, I am starting to see it more and more in mainstream but what fascinates me is that Vaporwave has been around since 2009 and yet we are all still listening to it. Here is an example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RFunvF0mDw&ab_channel=sunsetcorp

Check out this documentary:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTeOIw2Rng&ab_channel=Ideal

poky

pokymovie
Reaction score
Awards
Macintosh plus made me discover vaporwave as a whole. It felt really other worldly like I just discovered a new dimension cause it was just so out there and found it absurd in a good way. I didn't really give much thought about it after that but a particular roblox game really opened my eyes to it. What it showed in that simple game made me more interested in what I considered a really absurd style of making a game. A couple google searches and it brought to learn about the culture, style, & lingo of vaporwave. And I really liked it (and still do!!). Vaporwave made me grow to love malls as well as old internet stuff, imagine a world where I never was introduced to this kind of internet culture!! I would one sad person. So I thank Macintosh plus for literally introducing me to the entirety of vaporwave.

That same roblox game introduced me to a few cool vaporwave music artists, one of which is Luxury Elite. They're my favorite vaporwave artist by far.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJiiR0d8l-k
My favorite LE album.

Voicedrew

Take the monarchy pill anon
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
We don't talk about vaporwave on this website.

Jokes aside, I think everyone's first exposure to vaporwave was Macintosh plus.

There's a lot more that I like since I joined this website. (Windows 96 is goated btw, debatable if all his stuff is vaporwave tho)

Virtual Cafe Awards
it started for me, with 2019 plastic love craze, then went both futurefunk and vaporwave
i think first one was private caller and then cherry pepsi by saint pepsi

Virtual Cafe Awards
it started for me, with 2019 plastic love craze, then went both futurefunk and vaporwave
i think first one was private caller and then cherry pepsi by saint pepsi
double-thread:

View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00

before when it was on OC channel iirc
then

View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=OrR1TGQY20Y

got to vaporwave thanks to 2019 Plastic Love Mania

View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLppKdK3Dk

(doubt that same vid, but got the same photo)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Casa do Pão de Queijo

The Coolest Defense in the West
Reaction score
Awards
I'd say around 2018. I used to be a member of bemaniso and jpopsuki and that's where I was able to find a few good tracks. I haven't listened to vaporwave in quite a while though, as I had to clean out my hard drive and ended up deleting my massive music folder.

esckeywest

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I was introduced to vaporwave via the Dark Skyes promo video in 2014. (Remember the infamous My Little Pony dating simulator scam that was concocted by Sam Hyde?) It featured Hello Again's "Black Seagull" in the short clip discussing the character named Bryce. Aloe Island Posse caught my attention after I traveled to Bandcamp to find that Hello Again song. Do I win the stupidest way of discovering vaporwave award?