InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'll be completely honest with you, I thought the 2017 game was underwhelming and was hoping the original would be better so that I could be an epic contrarian about it.
You can't be a contrarian if you hold a popular opinion.

But the 2017 game is actually quite good, I don't know why so many people irrationally hate it. Probably because the second half is pretty weaksauce.

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
It is unfortunate, but let me tell you: I did buy BO on Steam, it happened to actually be 63% off the total price of game + DLC (a very rare occurence indeed), and after playing the port for some time with my buddy who loves Nazi Zombies, we discovered a sad truth... The PC port sucks. Don't buy it. If you're going to buy a BlackOps, buy BlackOps3 on PC. Not only is it properly optimized, but it has in-game mod support.

OG BO on PC is riddled with poorly transitioned code, poor optimization, massive bugs that will never be fixed, and poor resolution scaling. My suggestion is to simply get a 360 or an XbOne and play local splitscreen or LAN with some homies. Nothing beats it.
Just to follow up, I picked it up and played some. It rocks. Looking forward to playing some more on Saturday with my buddies.
Also wanted to ask, you got any map recommendations from the workshop? A couple of maps I miss from back in the day are Call of the Dead(where George Romero slowly follows you around everywhere) and that Black Ops 2 map set in a prison(forgotten its name... Alcatraz?)

Virtual Cafe Awards

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
Half-life 2 is so awesome. I replayed this game many times. But I will admit, I think it's starting to show its age. Some aspects are frustrating like how you might get stuck on some stupid rock or something.

Overall, still great and quite possibly the best game of the 2000s. The gravity gun did an incredible job showcasing new technology and physics.

Gman is pretty awesome too. "Wake up and smell the ashes..."
1671481538046.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
I really love Titanfall 2. It's personally my favorite modern FPS game both single-player and multiplayer wise.

One of my favorite moments in Titanfall 2 was the sky mission called "the beacon". I love the cloudy aesthetic!
1671854971222.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Halo 1 and 2 are the only valid FPS. everything else after was just (badly) copying them

I like the music and aesthetic of metroid prime, and LOVE metroid in general...but i dislike the game as whole because its an fps

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Any thoughts on Infinite Season 3? Is it worth coming back?

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I played a bit of the pre-release Tribes 3 demo today. It was a lot of fun but it also felt like a stripped-down copy of Tribes: Ascend. The shooting and skiing mechanics are still a blast but there are fewer maps (and not very interesting ones), fewer weapons, and no vehicles. No funny voice acting either. The bright side is that they haven't implemented any of the F2P skinner box crap that ruined Ascend yet. All signs point to this game suffering the same fate as that one - a really fun beta period that was brought to a screeching halt once the game was released and Hi-Rez started trying to squeeze as much money out of it as possible - and the consensus online is that you should play the game now before the devs destroy it. It's kind of depressing. I miss when multiplayer FPS games weren't all F2P and the responsibility of keeping the game active after release (making new content, organizing events) was turned over to the people who played it.
82d.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh, hey, Prey talk... I've though about trying both 2006 and 2017 games, though I gotta admit this is one of the rare cases when the new one looks more interesting to me.

I played a bit of the pre-release Tribes 3 demo today. It was a lot of fun but it also felt like a stripped-down copy of Tribes: Ascend.
They are all online-only games aren't they? I remember I've looked at Tribes: Ascend at some point, but I've ended up just grabbing some music from it. And I've liked the concept of a disc-throwing weapon, but that's about it...

As for me, my recent FPSes are... Well, Serious Sam series, as I'm slowly crawling through it... That last patch for Serious Sam 2 that came out, like, 2 years or so ago actually made the game enjoyable and I finally got through it from start to finish. Also gotta check out the DLC for Ion Fury - original game was cool. Though pretty much nine GZDoom/EDuke shooters out of ten are guaranteed to rock. I know several very obscure ones and they are tons of fun. What else did I have out of recent ones? Mmm... Ah, yes, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter. It was very mediocre, but the lore behind the game and some details were very interesting. I'll just quote myself.

It plays like a mediocre shooter, but I can't shake off the feeling that among the devs there were people who actually wanted to make an awesome game. There's quite a captivating universe and lore, and there are a lot of amazing designs. The plot is kind of a usual thing, but has several bright sides as well... And, overall, the whole situation kind of reeks of "effective management" that wanted to maximize profits and build a franchise, therefore cutting out ideas and whatever else. For example, there was a comic book that was printed so early before the release some of the main characters are still human in it, while they've became aliens in the final release. Comic book and a lot of other stuff is available online nowadays, so... yea, it feels like an interesting game that was beat down during the development.

Aliens Versus Predator 2 - I've only completed marine campaign (and an Iron Bear campaign in the DLC), but that's all I've wanted: to pump some xenos full of lead, and AvP2 works fine for that. For me it's just a shooter set in one of the universes I like, and it works swell for that part.

To add some new lines to the forum, I guess the most recent FPS game I've liked most for recent years is BRINK. It had very polarizing reviews, and I fell on the side that gave it ten out of ten. I've had tons of fun both solo and in LAN parties with a friend, despite the unbalanced AI and some other issues. To prevail against all odds in this game is just over the top as bullets throw you down on the floor, and you get up again, go melee, get critical hit and try to hold off the rest of the enemies with the sidearm hoping that the medic is nearby... Freaking amazing. And I've liked the designs as well. Somewhat unusual, yes, but it was all very pleasing to my tastes.
aGoNMHmu_o.jpg
kWneaHut_o.png
oqeTtIXF_o.jpg

I also need to finish Unreal these days around. I completed the original game... at some point, and I still haven't even started Return To Na-Pali. And I also wanted to try one of those recent Call Of Duty: Black Ops or whatever, because, for once, there's an opportunity to join the soviets and turn Europe into nuclear wasteland. Fun. And I really like when games actually allow to oppose America for a change. Eh, so much games, so much movies... and free time is so scarce.

Virtual Cafe Awards

theshredneckcsr

Metal E. Leetist
Reaction score
Awards
My friend Recently bought me Forgive Me Father, a really cool retro style shooter (albeit with sleeker visuals and less chunky pixels) with a Lovecraft aesthetic. I haven't gotten too far into it but I like it so far.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcA1J4LNVEE

Virtual Cafe Awards